Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past fall I was diagnosed with two herniated disks. Today I finally went for epidural injections. So up until the weather got warm (April) I carried a SW 340 PD chambered in 38 special in front pant pocket and Ruger LCR in 327 Federal weak-side jacket pocket. Very comfortable and felt confident for the things I do / places I go. Not that it is hot out I stick to the SW.

What do you guys think for a back back situation and for a permanent option?

·
Registered
12 Posts
For starters I would find other things to do and places to be that didn't require me to carry two guns. Along the same lines this I would reduce the amount of weight/crap I carry. As an example I carry: drivers license, debit card, watch, corn cob pipe, 1-2 oz of tobacco in cloth pouch, zippo, key ring with 1 house key, 1 truck key, 1 bassett knife. ( doubles as pipe tool/ bottle opener/pocket knife) and a NAA mini mag. I could reduce weight even more by quit smoking ( not likely to happen) Note that I don't talk about cell phone, I phone, Black berry.......( do we really need to be connected to every sob and his brother 24-7?) or any other gear he some "experts" tell us we just have to haul around. nonlethal what ever, impact weapon, 1sr aid, tourniquet, back up this that and the other............................ If thats your gig great, however eventually we are all going to get old, tired, and hurting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I herniated to disks when I was 24. That was 55 years ago. It’s was w days before my discharge from the Corps. The Navy docs that treated me gave me this advice. Keep your weight down because a lot of your weight has to be carried by your back. Avoid backpacks for the obvious reason. Do exercises to strengthen your back. Stay mobile — unless you are in pain do not letyour back injury keep you from being mobile. Accordingly, today I am 79, standing 5’10” tall at 165 lbs. I walk three miles a day five days a week except is very bad weather. I hike in wooded areas often and use a walking stick to add support when on slopes terrain. I have extra arch support in my shoes. I avoid shoulder bags and backpacks whenever possible and carry things in pouches on a waist belt. I carry a Security 9 Compact mostly but also substitute carry either a LC9s or LCP II depending upon how deep concealment has to be.

So My advice is carry weight at the waist and keep it to necessary weight. You do not need to carry two guns. Keep your weight down, at least by not gaining weight which can be a consequence of being less mobile from the injury. Do the proper exercises to strengthen you back and do them in the very long run. Walk for exercise. Dance you create that regimen stick to it.

·
Administrator
22,477 Posts
Slipped L3,4, and 5, 15 years ago and did 10 weeks of physical therapy. I continue doing the program for the core twice weekly and walk 4 miles a day the other 5 days. Sometimes it gets cranky with too much bending but mostly I am without pain. Right now I mostly carry a Sig P938 in the strong side front pocket . Sometimes I carry my P320 at 4:00 O'clock either IWB or OWB.

Focus on strengthening your core and avoid twisting and bending as much as possible then you can carry whatever you wish. If you need help Physical Therapy can be a huge help getting you on the right track and leaving you with a workout program plus they can give advice on how to avoid reinjury.

Nothing wrong with the Smith 340 PD for carry, I would continue to pocket carry that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slipped L3,4, and 5, 15 years ago and did 10 weeks of physical therapy. I continue doing the program for the core twice weekly and walk 4 miles a day the other 5 days. Sometimes it gets cranky with too much bending but mostly I am without pain. Right now I mostly carry a Sig P938 in the strong side front pocket . Sometimes I carry my P320 at 4:00 O'clock either IWB or OWB.

Focus on strengthening your core and avoid twisting and bending as much as possible then you can carry whatever you wish. If you need help Physical Therapy can be a huge help getting you on the right track and leaving you with a workout program plus they can give advice on how to avoid reinjury.

Nothing wrong with the Smith 340 PD for carry, I would continue to pocket carry that.
All good insights. I’m going to chiropractor, physical therapist, and just received epidural injections for L4 L5. Since May had a bulging disk pinching the root nerve, not fun. In the fall I stopped hip carrying my gp100, freedom arm, or Glock 17 because always had throbbing pain after 2 -3 miles of straight line walking. That’s when I switched to the two gun combo in my OP. I don’t see anything wrong with 2 Jframes in the colder months. Folks often carry two 15 round reloads, so why not 2 lite guns on totally separate parts of the body. Lately it’s been the SW in the left front pocket since the pain is on the right. Oh by the way, I was just leaning over the sink brushing my teeth and wahm a bunch of spasms put me down for the count. Go figure. Thank you again and to the previous posters for their insight.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
My bad back appreciates J-Frames ... a Air-Lite 8 shot model 317 22 LR or a 5 shot AirWeight model 637 in 38 Special .
Summer carry in cargo shorts front or rear pocket depending.
Winter ... coat pocket carry .

Gary

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I was hit by a car while in a crosswalk. Fractured my pelvis, bruised my hip and messed up my back. For a long time I was limited to 30 oz with my usual pocket stuff. Lately that has changed for the worse. Suspenders are a good way to go. I had to get a shoulder harness to carry my tools. I was carrying an LCR 38 which is 16 oz loaded. It started getting too heavy without suspenders. I am now carrying a KelTec P32.

·
Registered
630 Posts
OP, @Argee1950 and @dweis have boiled down the best advice in Posts #3 and 4, respectively. If you need to reduce the amount of weight you carry for the good of your back, the LCP, alone will be the way to go. And rather than carry a second handgun in the other pocket, try carrying a second magazine for your LCP.

The advice in Post #4 about keeping the weight around your waist is also important. An IWB carry would accomplish that, or your continued carry in a front pocket will give similar results regarding how you bear the weight. Experiment with IWB if you find that pocket carry isn't working out for you.

Lastly, and I can't emphasize this enough: don't let your diagnosis of herniated discs be the sole basis for how you go about your life. I happen to know a physician whose work involves people with back problems, and it seems that discs do compress and herniate as a natural part of the aging process. Many patients, according to this physician, immediately become sedentary when they hear about disc problems and only end up gaining weight, which exacerbates their back problems.

Keep physically performing to the extent you ate still capable of performing. Your herniated discs have probably been with you for years, and there's a lot of stuff you did with them that didn't cause you immediate back pain. Just be more deliberate about your posture and how you bear weight, now as was stated in Post #4. He has the right idea.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Another option to consider. I wear cargo pants most of the time. My carry gun is a Glock 43. I put a strip of velcro inside of the pocket on the lower leg. I also put a strip of velcro on the back of the holster. i use an Uncle Mikes #2 or #3 inside the pocket nylon holster. The velcro keeps the holster inside the pocket and well secured. When you take the gun out of the holster the holster stays put. When you reholster the gun you have to open the pocket manually to get the gun back in the holster but it is easy to do. The weight is lower than the waist line. I carry an extra mag in the pocket on the other leg. Works well for me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
38 years ago I was hit head on on my motorcycle by a drunk driver. Two herniated discs and a fractured vertebrae. After a life of lots of physical activity (racing mountain bikes, playing hockey, backpacking, hunting, and a career as a hands on general contractor) I am suffering the after effects. I have walked at least 4 miles a day for the last 25 years or so. I have two areas of severs stenosis and ostheoarthritis in my lower back. I'm also about 1-1/2 inches shorter than I was when younger. The weight is the hardest to deal with but doable. Learn your limits and work within them. I don't do prescription pain meds, I don't do injections (they merely mask symptoms which prompt you to hurt yourself worse, and when they wear off it is worse). I have lived with pain so long I don't think a lot about it until it gets near unbearable. One thing about it though, if you start to hurt stop what you are doing or change the way you are doing it. And I still ride motorcycles...:D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I use a shoulder holster and a Glock G26 which is pretty light.

Somebody mentioned leaving the phone at home. I never do this. I do turn my I-phone off when I want to disconnect, but it always comes with me.

Think about it.......compass, GPS, weather radar, 911, calculator, the internet, topographic maps, aerial photographs, camera with video, flashlight, clock....................I think it will even make phone calls.

Phone, gun, and keys.......ready to roll.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ve sometimes used the t-shirt holsters (brand packin tee?) with great success. Moves weight to shoulder and works under a regolar woven shirt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did the shirt itch? Was it a tight spandex shirt?
It was a tight t-knit of cotton and did not itch. I wore them when I was examining pre-construction setups for cell towers in urban areas in the summer, so temps in the upper 90s or so and reasonably comfortable. Perspiration played rough with an old model 36 S&W but no problem after I switched to stainless steel.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I was hit by a car while in a crosswalk. Fractured my pelvis, bruised my hip and messed up my back. For a long time I was limited to 30 oz with my usual pocket stuff. Lately that has changed for the worse. Suspenders are a good way to go. I had to get a shoulder harness to carry my tools. I was carrying an LCR 38 which is 16 oz loaded. It started getting too heavy without suspenders. I am now carrying a KelTec P32.
Wow, sorry to hear about that, must have been brutal.

Lighten that load. I was on the verge of buying a Glock 43 but it's twice the weight of a P32 and one less shot, not counting extra mags. With the P32 I get 7+1 and can carry a loaded extra mag for a total of 15 rounds at 12.oz total, compared to the Glock 43 with only 6 rounds at 21 oz. Yes, that small difference in weight can be felt, especially if you carry all day, even more if you're already in pain. I also carry an extremely lightweight folding knife in the opposite front pocket.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Some really good recommendations and suggestions posted here with regards to dealing with chronic LBP!
Knowing what your issues are and what your limitations are, matters...and then make necessary adjustments accordingly!
Keep the weight balanced, no matter how slight the differences, can be felt in the low back area and have repercussions some days.
I'm a revolver fan and, lately, have been carrying J-Framed 340 and 360 revolvers...which are easier to CC because of their lighter weight.
Don't be afraid to carry a good .38 revolver...when you break it all down, sometimes, all you really need is a good .38 revolver!

Reactions: Lefty_Red
1 - 20 of 47 Posts