Ruger Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don’t see anything wrong with you you are doing now. I carry a 351c in my front left pocket and a 642 in the back right pocket.

I have had one shoulder replacement done two weeks ago, so no more reaching behind my right butt check ever. Will have the left one done this fall, if right shoulder heals up normally. Then I’m just going to get a shoulder holster. KL Knull one for my j frame, and the Classic Lite for either a Max 9 or GX4. Either way, no weight on my hips and reaching behind for a year of two.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Some really good recommendations and suggestions posted here with regards to dealing with chronic LBP!
Knowing what your issues are and what your limitations are, matters...and then make necessary adjustments accordingly!
Keep the weight balanced, no matter how slight the differences, can be felt in the low back area and have repercussions some days.
I'm a revolver fan and, lately, have been carrying J-Framed 340 and 360 revolvers...which are easier to CC because of their lighter weight.
Don't be afraid to carry a good .38 revolver...when you break it all down, sometimes, all you really need is a good .38 revolver!
My number 2 CCDW hardware is a S&W, titanium/aluminum, 342 J-frame. 10.5 ounces of peace of mind that goes with me when shoulder carry is too hot. I put it in a pocket holster. My phone weighs about as much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I tried 2-3 shoulder holster and settled on Galco. It fit easily and accessories are good values. Like you, I cannot reach with speed to my belt.
Lots of real life reasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. The pain in my back was unbearable. My doctor didn't understand what was wrong with my back, in the pictures it was absolutely normal. I suffered so much for six months, and then I signed up for a massage, it helped me a lot. My back doesn't hurt anymore

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,096 Posts
.What do you guys think for a back back situation and for a permanent option?
I have arthritis in my lumbar disks. Hurts sometimes, stiff the rest. Yoga and meds help, but what helps with EDC is a good belt. It keeps my all-steel guns from sagging, whether I am on the tractor, back in the woods, or pocket carrying in town.

I own two Daltech Force steel cores. Let the belt do the work, because even my NM Blackhawks do not weigh that much.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about that, must have been brutal.

Lighten that load. I was on the verge of buying a Glock 43 but it's twice the weight of a P32 and one less shot, not counting extra mags. With the P32 I get 7+1 and can carry a loaded extra mag for a total of 15 rounds at 12.oz total, compared to the Glock 43 with only 6 rounds at 21 oz. Yes, that small difference in weight can be felt, especially if you carry all day, even more if you're already in pain. I also carry an extremely lightweight folding knife in the opposite front pocket.
I have a 10 round spare for mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you just need to find a good massage therapist. Or go to the doctor, they know exactly what to do in this situation. Massage for back pain, that's what really helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have lower back problems from sports , living and playing hard everyone gets bit. Buldging and herniated discs , DDD , pinched nerve . Went for the 3 shots but I felt , time and exercise helps the most and being careful . It always goes out when doing something like bending to pick up something light . As far as carry , I carry a 5 shot S&W J frame snub or a Colt 3" 1911 7+1 appendix carry IWB leather holster. I use a Kore Essential EDC belt with ratchet adjustments helps with back issues , in the winter I sometimes use a OWB at 4 o'clock position , leather open top. Hope I Helped in some way. I feel your pain.
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went from carrying 1911s, Glock 21’s ,20’s ,GP100’s ,K frames and such
to Charter Arms revolvers and J frames ,LCRs and various Sub compact and Compact semiautomatics
I purchased a Ruger LCP max recently..
I have epidurals quarterly in my lower back and had my first neck fusion surgery.. Ive spent the last 28yrs in pain .. I get 3 to 5 hours of sleep at night and Im unable to set any length of time so I stand at work instead of sitting at my computer..
I have also found that since my cervical fusion my arms and hands are numb to a certain extent so revolvers are easier to manipulate

·
Registered
100 Posts
Buckeye
I feel your pain , for me playing sports and age hammered my lower back , shoulders and knees . Even a belt puts that pressure on your back. Some days are better then others , weather also adds to it. Lighter weight firearms helps but the lighter the firearm the more recoil . My 3" 1911 has a aluminum frame ( Colt New Agent ) 45acp and my S&W 49 all steel J frame , there not so light where it's a hand full to shoot, I train with them once a week . Even with the body problems , one of those two are always with me. Misery Likes Company , Hang in There , one good thing we're not room temperature yet .
Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I went from carrying 1911s, Glock 21’s ,20’s ,GP100’s ,K frames and such
to Charter Arms revolvers and J frames ,LCRs and various Sub compact and Compact semiautomatics
I purchased a Ruger LCP max recently..
I have epidurals quarterly in my lower back and had my first neck fusion surgery.. Ive spent the last 28yrs in pain .. I get 3 to 5 hours of sleep at night and Im unable to set any length of time so I stand at work instead of sitting at my computer..
I have also found that since my cervical fusion my arms and hands are numb to a certain extent so revolvers are easier to manipulate
You give a lot of people hope and encouragement. I wish you well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have bad lower back problems too. I have a fusion at L2 but I’m starting to get serious pain in my lower back. I’m running around with a Security 9 on a core ratcheted belt OWB and I’m finding I often choose to leave the gun home just so I don’t aggravate my back. Naturally it really bothers me that I have to do this.

What do you guys think about suspenders to alleviate lower back pain when carrying? Have any of you tried this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a lot of great info here. I have 2 autoimmune diseases that have made my back a mess. To carry comfortably I had to do something I said I wouldn’t do, aiwb. Appendix Cary has allowed me to be able to carry my LCR 327 for up to 6 hours with not a bunch of pain.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts