Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here in MO it is illegal to kill any snake. Of course most people don't pay attention to that law even though a few have gotten a citation for doing so.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, she had the extended reach grabbers, I was still on the mower. The funny part was when she decided to try to toss it in the woods, she threw the snake and the grabbers both in the woods. So I had to o retrieve the grabbers from the woods. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,349 Posts
I'm pretty certain if I asked my wife to pick up a poisonous snake (even with grabbers) that I just shot I would hear something about where the sun don't shine. :p;)

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I'm pretty certain if I asked my wife to pick up a poisonous snake (even with grabbers) that I just shot I would hear something about where the sun don't shine. :p;)
No kidding.

Mine will rip and tear if I hit a garden snake with the lawn tractor, ( I mean, come on !, how can I prevent that? Just DONT mow the grass anymore? :rolleyes: )
But she dont say a word when I serve an xx grain eviction notice on a venomous one, and usually disappears rather quickly. :D .

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
I could not disagree more with most of these post about Poisonous Snakes. As a outdoorsman and hunter I have encountered them many times. I have had Beagles walk right over copperheads that were hidden in the leaves. I have sat next to a Rattle snake about 3' away in a sage brush that did not strike. I have come across many cotton mouths in the Dismal Swamp and Back Bay of Virginia and never once saw one come at me. They just want to be left alone. They are NOT attack Snakes for God Sake.
Almost all the bites I have seen are from People trying to handle them or do something stupid. Yes, they are to be respected, but they are part of the Eco system and just part of nature.
I have seen so many people just kill them for no reason at all, simply because they see it and think that gives them a right to kill it.
Yes, In your yard, sure, dispatch it. In the wild just respect nature. If not, just stay the hell out of the woods. I concern myself more with the two Legged, Poisonous creatures that inhabit my city more than any snake.
But so many myths and post sound like something out of a Stephen King Novel.

The Snake and I share something in common. "DON'T TREAD ON ME" Leave me alone, and I will leave you alone.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
:D. You guys gotta remember me and the wife are both career firefighters/ emt's. We both have seen years of pretty nasty and stressful stuff, so a snake is no big deal for either of us. However we do not go around picking them up or bothering them. I only terminate the poisonous ones that are on my property and pose a threat. Otherwise I let them eat the bugs and mice, so I do not have to set out mouse traps when the weather turns cold.

Funny truth is that a snake may not hurt you, but it can make you hurt yourself.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I'm out running bird dogs in the late summer early fall, I always have a shot shell first up in the rotation. I guess that's another plus for a CCW revolver. My little birds head vaquero with a 45 colt shot shell makes a mess of them.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
We have several types of poisonous snakes in Central Texas. I always carry.

They seem to be fairly common but also seem to avoid me. If I saw one, I would dispatch it forthwith.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2016/06/03/top-10-deadliest-snakes-north-america/

https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/resources/texas-junior-naturalists/be-nature-safe/venomous-snake-safety

"Image result for what is the most venomous snake in the united states
The eastern diamondback is the largest of all North American most venomous snakes, and it is arguably the most deadly. It has the largest fangs of any rattlesnake species in the world, a very high venom yield, and an absolutely devastating potency."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/snakebites-kids-riskiest-states-florida-texas/

·
Registered
463 Posts
I’ve used my carry gun to dispatch a copper head or two a few times. The area we might encounter them, I’m usually carrying my GP100. Single action shots at a copperheads brain pan are easier that way.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I used to live in upstate NY and we had quite a few copperheads.

They smell like cucumbers so when I got a whiff I'd stop dead in my tracks and look at the leaves to determine wind direction so I could slowly back out.

Our copperheads were lazy and could hide on top of the fall leaves and were almost impossible to see.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
my view

we don't have many venomous snakes in my neighborhood, however if any do get in the yard, they are going to get a load of the newer cci shot loads loaded with #4 shot, they make it in a few calibers, I have a mag loaded for my ec9 and RAP and a speed loader for my sp101, whatever is at hand is going to be used on the offender. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I would have dropped the running lawnmower on him, turned him into mulch and saved the ammo for another day

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
No vipers near us here........or so I am told. The water snakes and others do a decent job of keeping the rodents at bay. Wish they would take out the squirrels, raccoons and woodchucks though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rattlers are around my area here in Northern VA; I've seen one or two even. Never had a need to shoot one yet. My neighbor certainly has though.

After my dog nearly stepped on a big garter, I've either carried my LCR with shotshell or my Kimber Micro 9....Don't think I'll need it ever, and don't really want to; snakes gross me out on a deeper level, but they're God's creatures too. So I try to not kill unless I see a rattler or poisonous one around, on account of the young families that have been moving on to this mountain lately..but even then I'd prefer to just avoid them if I can help it.

It's not their fault they were born ugly

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I was growing up in rural Florida, It seems all we saw were Eastern Diamondback rattlers and Water Moccasins.
The Moccasins were mostly dull charcoal grey. Now, it seems that large immature ones are colored very similarly to harmless water snakes. Perhaps they always were, and we just didn't know it. Almost indistinguishable, except possibly to a real expert!

If I lived in Florida again, I believe I would shoot ANY snake that even resembled one of the venemous ones. I would never go anywhere around woods or waterways without a pair of snake leggings, and carry a revolver with two snake shot handloads or Speer snake shot cartridges first and second up in the cylinder. Then powerful SD rounds as back-up.

In my present home State, it is illegal to kill a rattlesnake unless it is getting ready to bite you! :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I was living in Missouri I got to know rattlers pretty well. Here, where I summer in Michigan all we might have is Massaugas which aren’t very poisonous.L:eek:t so f black snakes and blue racers,,,The racers are beautiful snakes.

Two years ago a black snake about 4 feet long can out from under the freezer in my workshop..I let him be. That year I had no mice in my workshop,, I hope he will return.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
When I was growing up in rural Florida, It seems all we saw were Eastern Diamondback rattlers and Water Moccasins.
The Moccasins were mostly dull charcoal grey. Now, it seems that large immature ones are colored very similarly to harmless water snakes. Perhaps they always were, and we just didn't know it. Almost indistinguishable, except possibly to a real expert!

If I lived in Florida again, I believe I would shoot ANY snake that even resembled one of the venemous ones. I would never go anywhere around woods or waterways without a pair of snake leggings, and carry a revolver with two snake shot handloads or Speer snake shot cartridges first and second up in the cylinder. Then powerful SD rounds as back-up.

In my present home State, it is illegal to kill a rattlesnake unless it is getting ready to bite you! :(
When you're close enough to see one it's getting ready to strike in my book!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Copperheads here are very aggressive. They will even come at you.
Our black Timber Rattlers also have a severe attitude problem and will come after you.
Were the yellow Eastern Diamond back rattlers will mostly try and get away.
EXCEPT, in dog days. They will stand their ground and not move or rattle.
So you better hope you see them before they see you.

One time about 1987 I was out helping a guy cruize a block of timber. I had my Ruger single six with 22 mag in. I got into a rocky area and seen a big brown rattlesnake. It was dog days. So I shot it. About the time the gun went bang, rattlesnakes started slithering everywhere. I jumped up on a big rock and watched snakes everywhere. I realized I musta walked right into a snake den. I jumped rock to rock for as far as I could which was about 50 feet in the same direction I came in. Then carefully got the heck outta there.

Ive killed several copperheads. Most grown are about 3 foot max here.

I killed three, caught while fishing at night in Kinzu Dam.
I guess two musta tried to grab my walleye rapala. ? :confused:
They had to be terminated to get the hooks out, and boy were they mad.

One time these little kids came walking down to talk to Dad & I and they had an empty 2 liter pop bottle with a little, maybe 10 inch copperhead in it. I cant believe none of them were bit. The parents looked like the dope crowd hippy type, said they were from Buffalo NY. We told them about the snakes, they brushed it off totally. I took the pop bottle off the kids and chucked it in the river with a rock taped to it. I still cant believe they didnt get bit.

It sure made me think twice about walking around , and especially sitting on the shore line at night fishing up there. Apparently, they have a pretty good copperhead population.

I killed a 47' inch minus the head, while fishing. The ONLY reason I bothered measuring it was since it was so big. Thats a REALLY BIG copperhead IMO.
Like I said, most we see are 30 to 36 inches.

For some weird reason,, when we were young in the 1970's, rattlers and copperheads were only seen in specific remote area's. And we knew WHERE those area's were at and avoided them.
Now, it seems like they are turning up in weird populated area's where we never seen them before.
And yeah, we kill them. IMO, We seen alot of this due to gas and coal companys running heavy equipment in those remote area's. It seems to drive the snakes out.

Poisonous snakes may have their place, but its NOT around human populated area's. And its NOT around me. ;)
Common water snakes are, more often than not, misidentified as copperheads because of their coloring pattern(although darker than copperheads) and their aggressive nature when cornered. They flatten out and their head appears triangular like a viper and strike aggressively although totally harmless. If you're seeing them around the water in large numbers they are probably common "matrix" water snakes. I used to catch them and keep them as pets when I was a kid. I got bitten dozens of times drawing blood but never so much as an infection from it. The first pic is a common water snake, the second a copperhead and the third a comparison between a very red water snake and a copperhead.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts