Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here comes Shot Show, we get to see all the new stuff, oh goodie.

I admit to watching youtube gun experts and Hickok45 is on my subscription list.
like other gun reviewers, Hickok tries to not bad mouth any products, but between the giggling and shooting he does give some opinions and shows he's human by contradicting himself.
in his vid about the .327 LCR he bemoans the fact it's only a 6 shot, but admits he really likes revolvers. www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOe4O0Jr0g
then in his next vid he's shooting the Walther PPQ 45 and says it's the greatest trigger ever invented, but he's not going to carry it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQed5169zw
so when your looking at CCW guns, you have to find something that works for you, let the contradictions and compromises begin. good luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have the PPQ m1 in 9mm, love it, think is some ways he has a valid point worth consideration as far as the trigger pull is concerned. Mine came with a 3.5 lb pull, which ive managed to get up to 4.2 lbs by opening the springs in the trigger group up a little adding more tension. seems contradictory but i found wearing gloves it would have occasion to do unintentional double taps. Ill carry my Q now but not with gloves. some might not have that with them spec is like 5.6lbs. which is fine for ccw. Hickok45 is a Glock guy. so no matter what i doubt your going to see him go to a Walther or anything else, for long. I think his shootout with the glock showed hes much more polished using that platform. I think he admits as much. Shooting the PPQ45 as much would probably lead to out shooting the glock. That said not many opt for large high cap polymer 45`s for ccw. Even he stated in one video that he doesnt carry a g20 because there basically to fat in the slide and he prefers the 19 or 17. all this boils down to one mans personal preferences on video and i appreciate his comments but always temper it with my own personal opinions and preferences. For instance I like my XDs 45 for ccw. i sometimes carry a full size 1911 in a nice shoulder holster too, why? cuz i shoot it light out. same with the XDs , just works for me. do I feel high cap is better? no. get a carry gun thats as easy to grab on your way out the door as it is your wallet and keys. Is a 9mm or a 45 a better choice, one for the ages, wont deny the 9mm ammo these days is outstanding. though something can be said for a round that starts life as big as many 9mm hollow points end up. either way ive found myself on both sides of that argument over the years and find it largely meaningless in the end, i like the 45. I really like Hickok45`s videos and others, started out watching nuthinfancy on his knife review videos and now follow his TNP vids. also very recommended. there are others and if im looking into a new purchase i look at as many of them as i can, always taking into account my own personal opinions and taking into account that what you read on the net is only a small fraction of the whole picture. Many who post negative things on the forums about a certain gun are not representative of the majority. so common sense about what you read and believe is needed, i tend to weigh the good i see online more heavy than the bad. you also must look at what your going to buy in person and if possible shoot one "range rental" dont go buying off of Buds or somewhere else and come online complaining about this or that aspect of the gun when all could of been avoided by examining a example at a LGS first not just on a youtube vid or forum post.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Interesting video. I have the Blackhawk and SP101 in 327FM. The Blackhawk is very heavy, minimal recoil, and an excellent trail gun. One of the most accurate revolvers Ive ever owned. Coffee cans @100 yards is no problem. Its one of my favorite Ruger revolvers. The Sp101 has a bit more recoil. If he would have been shooting American Eagle 100 grain, that LCR would have been a real hand full. As he even stated, that ammo was loaded down. And one handed, even as big a man as he is showed the recoil. The AE 100's are the hottest 327 Ive found. Dont think Id want to shoot them much in the LCR.
I had no idea Hickok had tested the LCR 327.. Ive been kinda wondering what the LCR in 327 FM would be like, and really like Hickoks " real world honest" opinion and reviews. Thanks for the share.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I really don't care to shoot the Federal AE 100 grain .327FM in my Ruger SP101 mine is a 3 inch barrel. This load kicks like hell feels like shooting a .357 in a SP101! I bought this stuff just to get me a supply of brass. BTW I would love to have a 8 shot Ruger Blackhawk in .327FM!

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
IMO, The American Eagle 85 are plenty to handle in the Sp101. I didnt care to shoot the AE 100's in the Sp 101 either. You can feel the back blast on your face in a BIG way. haha.
As far as the Blackhawk,, totally different story. Its such a heavy gun, no recoil to speak of, and the AE 100's really will hold a tight group @ 100 yards. The downside on the 100 grain would be the sonic crack. LOUD LOUD LOUD. A real ear popper. I kinda wish Henry or someone would build a Lever action in the 327. Id probably jump on one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts