Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have a suggestion for a great concealed-carry holster for the p345 with the rail? Better yet, is there a holster that will accommodate the p345 with the rail and a low profile rail-mounted laser sight? For example: http://www.lasermax-inc.com/product.php?id=104

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have Don Hume, Andrews Leather, and Milt Sparks IWB holsters for my P97 and my Wife's P345 fits in all. It has the Rail, but not the laser sight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who posted! Special thanks to Deputy125. I think I'm going to go with one of those. Question (forgive my ignorance, but I admit to being green): what is the difference between a paddle holster and a belt holster? They look identical on fobusholster.com

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I mean no offense to anyone. Please don't take it that way. But in my opinion, those plastic Fobus holsters are total junk. You spent good money on your Ruger. Carry it in a quality leather holster. I personally own several holsters from Lou Alessi, and one from Milt Sparks. They will last you a lifetime and will conceal 10x better than that plastic paddle holster. If you want some illumination, you can have Lou Alessi or Milt Sparks make a spare magazine carrier that also has a spot for a small SureFire flashlight. Also, Josh Bulman makes some quality stuff too. I personally prefer the Alessi CQC/S holster. It is currently the most copied holster around. Everyone and their brother has ripped off his design. And out of all the belt holsters I've tried, its the best out there.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Leather is usually perfered but some folks like the kydex as well.
The paddle is a quick on-quick off set-up and is popular with some who constantly may be entering places that restrict carry. They are quite comfortable and depending on design you may be able to conceal them with an appropriate loose shirt or a sports jacket.

A belt holster will pull the gun tighter into the body and make it easier to conceal than a paddle. The belt holster is outside-waist-band (owb) and is what a lot of folks go with that carry a larger gun. Still requires an outer garment to cover it up.

Inside-waist-band (iwb) conceals the best compared to paddle and owb. But your pants generally need to be a bit looser to comfortably accomodate it. Some models are "tuckable" to really hide the gun with your shirt tucked in.

Kydex vs leather is going along the same lines/arguments as synthetic vs a wood rifle stock---lots of pros and cons both directions. Some makers are now marrying leather and kydex together into one holster.

Concealed carry has way more to do with how you dress. How you want to dress will dictate how/what you carry.

try this link to 150 or so web sites of various holster makers:
http://www.rugerforum.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2122

If leather is desired and you want to keep the laser attached, good leather holster makers probably will have no problem custom making the holster to your needs.

FrankRochester makes a good point about an auxillary pouch for the laser.

Other options are available such as the special undershirts that have built-in holsters:
http://www.abetterholster.com/

belly band and fanny-packs for carry:
http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/gun_pak_pouch.html

Yes, a fanny pack/gunnysack may scream gun to us who are into ccw, but probably 95% of people out there in public do not have the ccw mentality or a clue and won't realize that it is a gun carrier.
Of course us law dogs will suspect it---but then again it is lawfully concealed. And one will hide a mulitude of different makes and models of handguns--including any attachments.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Alessi CQC/S has a one way snap system that allows you to take the gun on and off without having to take your belt off. Its the best of both worlds. You have the convenience of a paddle holster, with the concealability of a pancake holster. If you want to go IWB then a Alessi PCH
or the Milt Sparks Summer Special are the way to go.
I also like the Watch Six.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That PCH looks comfy-Alessi is a Cadillac holstermaker-used to have the best shoulder rigs...you had a wait when you ordered from him...and didn't mind a bit...didn't know he was still around...I'll be sniffin' 'round for a new PCH for my P90...thanks for the reminder...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Stainless,
We are all green on somethings, and we are all here to help. Heck if it hadn't been for Blade adding a little help to me on posting pictures I wouldn't have been able to post pictures for a lot longer.
Now as to holsters I am always for leather, guess its the Cowboy in me. Any of the that above mentioned markers are good companies. Best of luck on the one to decide to get and let us know how it works for you. Who knows I might want to have one like yours some day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lou is still around... You're looking at a 6 month backlog though. He's been doing some stuff for the government. If you gotta wait that long, you might as well order the PCH for IWB and the CQC/S for OWB! You'll have some time to save for it. I know alot of people like Don Hume leather, I just don't have any experience with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The reason I like the PCH, Watch-Six, and the Summer Special is that they have leather snaps for the belt. The metal spring clips can get stretched and lose tension. That's why Lou Alessi won't use them. He makes his version of the Watch-Six with a patented "Talon Clip", which is made from hard plastic. It will either work or it breaks, there is no in-between. And if one ever does break, he will replace it for free. I have yet to have a problem with my Watch-Six that he made for my Glock 26. He said the only time he's seen a problem is if someone gets their seatbelt hung-up on one of the clips when getting out of the car.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm
I have the VM2-HS and love it. I agree to go with a good holster. If you are serious about CCW then its something that you will use every day, and you will more likely carry all the time if it is comfortable. Not all that expensive if you look at it in terms of 10 years or more. If you have a big auto or truck you will spend almost as much for a tank of gas. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the depth of knowledge y'all bring to the topic. I'll be thinking about it and researching more. I may be back to ask more questions. Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts