Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on spending 3 or 4 months in Texas this winter at the boarder as a Minuteman volunteer. I have a Michigan CCW and I see that Texas honors my CCW, but the packing.org site I used to rely on for carry information is down, so I was wondering:

Can any of you Texas guys fill me in on what I need to know to carry in Texas?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
this site will go into great details. its a pdf type sight so just scroll down through the table of contents till you find what you need.

Keep it concealed, stay out of most govt offices, most bars, posted prohibited carry places, schools, etc. Of course theres more.....

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. 77 pages but it has what I need.

·
Banned
723 Posts
From what I remember from carrying in Texas:

Don't Print
Carry in Restaurant that serves alcohol is OK if less than 51% of sales is alcohol
Carry in places that make more than 51% of their money from alcohol sales, No Carry Allowed
Only legal signs are to be followed for Posted Places (very specific signage)
Notify LEO of weapon and permit upon "official Interaction" (Traffic Stop)

That's all I can remember, I hope it helps.

Biker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bunzo351

Thanks. 77 pages but it has what I need.
Well most state repesentives are lawyers so thats why it can get so wordie. By the time they get thru explaining common sense---it don't make sense![:p][:eek:)]

I'd just got to the table of contents and find the page/section that you want then scroll to that page.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was told that printing wasn't the same as open display in Texas.

I didn't read anything there to take it that printing was a violation.

Was this just the opinion of the law enforcement officer I spoke with or fact?

tk

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
concealed is defined as "the weapon can not be visable and its presence can not be discernible through ordinary observation".
It fails to define ordinary observation so that is left up to each officer and prosecutor.

Left up to officer discretion, as for me (and just me, i can not speak for others)means that it is an obivious print/carry that causes alarm in the public viewing(not my eye to spot it---but the ordinary citizen). Something pooching a shirt out to me means a possible butt of a handgun while to un-alarmed citizens it may just be a cell phone---for me, no foul.:)

Wearing a transparent windbreaker where anyone can see the weapon---foul.[:0] Or wearing skin tight leather pants and dropping a revolver into the pocket where the pocket looks like a form fitting holster and anyone can readily see that a gun is there and almost every line and detail of the weapon---foul.[:0]

This can really get down to splitting hairs and i want to avoid a "what if" discussion----but the whole point of concealed carry is no one knows you have it. If no one knows its there then there is no question about officer/prosecutor discretion.

Everyone that i know of that has a ccw are responsible common-sense folks and i've never been dispatched to a call where a ccw holder flashed/printed a weapon and caused alarm. To me this tends to show that folks who are ccw holders obey the law and take the responsibility seriously.

To my way of thinkin', the ccw holders are "the good guys".:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were just passing through, I would not fret much about it, but I plan on being there for at least three months as a minuteman volunteer watching the boarder, so I want to be as well versed as the locals.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Knowing the Federal attitude, I wouldn't even let them see a bump on the duty you're doing...normally in public, Deputy125 has it, as usual, most LEOs use common sense and are not against public carry...so they don't look for an excuse...they know we're on their side...interesting point-churches and hospitals are banned, but ONLY if they post with the big ole sign...at the door you go into...it's really interesting...contact DPS and they'll mail you a little book...if you want it...glad to know you'll be here!!!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These things are good to know because here, I print all the time and don't worry, but I do push the envelope. However, I'm certainly not looking to get in a bind that far from home.

Would you bail me out sheepdog?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think that most of us that carry can spot another person that is armed. People that don't carry probably just don't look for the detail.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
one big reccomendation---do not cross the border armed or unarmed. nightmares have occoured for a few like 6 months in a mexican jail for possessing 22 lr ammo that was forgotten under the seat.

they look for a reason to jail ****** and make money!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have absolutely no desire to cross the boarder. About the only places I go unarmed are church and football games, and there's no way I'll go to a whole country unarmed.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
bunzo351
do you have a link to your minuteman organization?
I am prohibited from joining but i am interested in getting better educated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts