Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the NRA course and got my certificate. Printed out the VA state CCW form to see what it was like. Very simple, so I filled it out. Next step was to go to the Sheriff's office so they can do a criminal background check. I was in town running errands today so I thought I'd just drop it off, figured they'd mail it to me. Well they do it while you wait, so five minutes later I had a sealed envelope to take to the courthouse. Right up the street. Dropped that off and paid my forty bucks! Before any of you who know my experience level get alarmed, I fully understand the responsibility entailed in such a step, and I know I need more training and practice before I am truly ready, permit or not. But I couldn't find a reason why not to get the permit, who knows, maybe I'm taking the gun to the range and forget and put it in the back seat instead of behind the back seat. With a permit, I'm in compliance, without, I'm not.

Anyway, my point was, there were a handful of guys at the Sheriff's office for the same reason. The receptionist asked, 'Concealed Carry Permit?' when she saw me. Different handful of guys at the courthouse for the same reason, and a woman at another window called out, 'Concealed Carry?' and pointed me to another window. When I got there, she had a list of people with 'CCW' after their names, probably a dozen all dated today. I don't know if that was her first page for the day, but it sure seems like if this is happening in one county on one day, then it's safe to say that people are applying for CCW permits in Virginia at a brisk pace.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Welcome to the club, EddieF. I have had mine for several years now (KY). Carrying a gun will become as second nature to you after awhile as carrying your wallet and car keys. Practice all you can, and make sure that that concealed guns stays concealed, and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think at first just having it in the car will be good. I know I need to check the laws of other states we drive through, but taking a trip, gassing up late at night at a truck stop or staying in a crappy motel somewhere, those are all times and places where I've felt vulnerable, even more so if my wife is with me. But I've taken the first step, the first couple steps actually, and am glad I have this group of like-minded people to share my experiences with.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
EddieF
Congratulations on your permit. Proud of you. How long is yours good for?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have it yet, but I don't have a record or anything so I should get it within 45 days they said. And it's good for five years I believe.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Just don't tell 'em you know any of us and you oughta pass without a problem;)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
A lot of folks here in KY got one just to keep in their car, when the law of KY says that you can keep a loaded gun in your glove box and it is not considered concealed, but if it is under the seat it is considered concealed!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Just don't tell 'em you know any of us and you oughta pass without a problem;)
No finer people could I be associated with.

I did think it was funny on the form where instead of race you had to check species:

___ Sheep (complete form, then discard)

___ Wolf (turn in form, and self, to Sheriff's receptionist)

___ Sheepdog (atta boy!)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
way to go Eddie, I am glad you are going to get one. more folks need to and from what I know of you here I have no problem with you carrying at all.
Glad your state is making it easy for you, here in Texas it takes a while to get one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got a Non-resident from VA, just because my wife and I travel there about twice a year. My S.C. permit is good there but I wanted a state issued one. took a little over a month I think. VA has great back roads to drive on.... beautiful state!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Eddie, I live in Ky like the gunman. After a while, carrying a gun most every place you go becomes second nature. I know a lot of people that have caried a gun in this state every day for years, most times illegally, figuring it was better to be caught with it than not have it when it might be needed. The most of them minded their own business and didn't make waves and nobody except the people that knew them well ever had an inkling they were armed.
Baker

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Eddie, click here to see where your permit is honored:

http://handgunlaw.us/maps/virginia_map.gif

Also a good reference is www.packing.org

Your state must have a reciprocity agreement with other states for your permit to be honored. Please be careful on trips as some states view a gun as concealed in the glove box, in the trunk - even in your suitcase if it is loaded. Some states say the gun and ammo must be separated and not accessible by the driver or occupants. There are some tricky rules, so keep your nose clean in stated that don't honor your permit.
That's where a national permit would be handy.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the support. And Jimbo, very helpful map and link!

I picked enough winners on Preakness day to get myself that SP101 I've been thinking about! Now if that isn't a good use of gambling proceeds, I don't know what is!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Eddie,way to go. The SP101 sounds like a real winner to me. Have you checked out the Virginia Civil Defense League yet. They are a grassroots progun, pro-CCW group. They are the major reason we have a shall issue instead of the old show cause permit. Just thought you might like to know a few more like-minded people. Have a good time at the range.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mongo, thanks, sorry for the delayed reply, I've been out of town. I was not aware of that group but have bookmarked it (http://www.vcdl.org/) and it looks like an awesome resource for me! Thanks again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good job Eddie. It is your job and responsibility to keep you and your family safe, not the police. Their job is to try and find the bg that hurt you and arrest them after the fact. Carrying a firearm will become second nature and you'll hardly notice its presence after a while. Be sure to practice and you will be as prepared as possible. Stay safe and God bless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.