Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCW questions

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Chris M 
#1 ·
Since I live in Wisconsin, one of only 2 states in the Union to ban any CCW, I am kind of ignorant of the laws concerning this. My question is do you have to designate a individual handgun to be your CC weapon, or is it left up to you what you want to carry? I have read in the past that some states require you to actually shoot your weapon at the CCW class before you can apply for a CCW. I imagine it varies state by state, but is there a general rule?

#2 ·
It does depend on the State. Here in KY you can qualify with any gun you want and carry any gun you want. I knew a guy that used a Ruger Mk 2 to qualify. He routinely carries a Glock. Does not matter here, but some States require you to pack the gun you qualified with.

#3 ·
In most states, once you get a CCW permit, you can carry any legal gun you want. Some states are more restrictive and limit you to the type of gun you qualify with (revolver or semi-auto). Then there are more restrictive states where you must have the model and serial number of the CCW on your permit.

Here's a good reference for all state CCW laws etc. http://carryconcealed.net/index.php

#6 ·
In Ohio, the gun you qualify with has no bearing on what you choose to carry. Kind of makes it convenient (but I still choose to carry my P95 most of the time).

#8 ·
BikerRN, it is a long story how Wisconsin bans all CC. In 2005 a bill for CCW passed the state legislature (behind imense public support, except in Madison) and was vetoed by our libdem guv. An overide was attempted but missed by 2 votes. In 2006 the same bill with a few small changes passed the legislature again and was vetoed yet again by our beloved guv doyle. Once again it failed to be overidden by 2 votes from dem legislators who promissed to vote overide but backed out the day of the vote and went along with the dem guv along party lines. Caved in to party pressure. Both people are no longer there. With the help of the NRA, the Wisconsin Gun Owners Association, and many other entities, we hope to have another bill introduced, passed, and signed into law with whoever the next guv will be. It won't be Doyle, that is guaranteed. So for now all I can do is keep in contact with my legislators and prepare for the future. I just don't understand how a state like Wisconsin, with such a proud hunting and sporting tradition, doesn't have some sort of CCW.

#9 ·
TN took me a couple hundred bucks and about 9 weeks (after a qualifer of 50 rounds on target). I'm in GA now - no class, no qualifying, just ~$50 for fingerprinting/paperwork and 6-8 wks. Gotta' love "shall issue."

Hope things get straightened out in Wisc. before too long.

#10 ·
Vary's State by state i can carry anything here once i have my permit .. where as other states if you qualify with a revolver thats all you can pack and have to list what gun and serial# on the permit

#11 ·
This is most definitely a State by State proposition. As Bud White indicated, in Michigan once you have a permit you can carry any legal handgun. Other States are far more restrictive. There used to be a site that had information for each State's CCW regulations. I believe it is now gone. However, you should be able to determine each State's requirements by searching the web pages for the State Police Agency and/or the State Attorney General.

#14 ·
As many of said, it varies by state.

Here in TX, it depends on what weapon you qualify with. If you shoot a revolver in qualification, that's all you can carry and it is designated on your license. If you shoot an auto, you can carry either style, but it will be designated as an auto on your license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.