Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a recent thread about CCW renewal wait times, interesting to see the replies.
After waiting almost two months, I received my renewal paperwork today. I had reached out to the State of Kansas CCHL Unit about 2 weeks ago and spoke with a nice lady about when I might see the renewal slip. She apologized for the longer than normal wait time and told me that they have been working through a backlog of renewals as well as first time permits that they are trying to catch up with. Seems like gun sales are still going strong over here, just a heads up for my fellow Kansans that may be close to renewal.
How are things going in other states?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I renewed my SC CCW and it took about 6 weeks. Like everywhere gun sale, CCW permits are setting records. Folks no longer can depend on law inforcement to keep them safe. They are good at recording what happened though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Renewals in MI aren't to bad, maybe a month.

An initial application though in some counties is over a year to get an appointment.
A family member in Kazoo county visited the clerk in May and received an Aug appointment for the sheriff to get finger prints. He started the process in Jan of this year.
Wayne county is over a year to get the clerk appt, not sure about the sheriff appts.

Fortunately we don't need finger prints done again for renewals anymore.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I sent my AZ CCW renewal in early March, in the envelope with my wife’s first-time CCW application. We both got our CCW’s back in mid-May. Even though AZ has constitutional carry it seems there is still a lot of demand for CCWs and likely a lot of first-time issues.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
I had my first renewal in January 2020 before the Fauci Scam and it was a smooth process.

Based on what I read recently, it appears right now, Live Scan is the primary cause of delays. I’m up for another two-year renewal later this year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My current license doesn't expire until October, but I received the renewal papers two weeks ago stating I can renew mine online.
I'll have paper copy as soon as I complete the online form and pay my fee.
No waiting.
Texas recently passed a law allowing "Constitutional Carry", it takes effect September 1st 2021.
Probably get the license renewed anyway, just in case I ever travel out of State.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pennsylvania: I renewed my license to carry firearms in November 2020. It took ten days from the time I presented the application to the clerk at the sheriffs office to get the notice to come pick it up. The clerk apologized for it taking more than a week. She said they were overloaded with new applications which take more time to process than renewals. County sheriffs process ,applications. So my experience could be different from that of others in PA.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
My local sheriff made CCWs renewable by mail during Plague 2.0; normally, I would have had to go to the Sheriff’s Office, hand in my renewal and get photographed. New CCWs are being processed in person, but a lot slower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sent my AZ CCW renewal in early March, in the envelope with my wife’s first-time CCW application. We both got our CCW’s back in mid-May. Even though AZ has constitutional carry it seems there is still a lot of demand for CCWs and likely a lot of first-time issues.
I'm looking at getting mine in AZ just for the reciprocity with other states.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,294 Posts
I haven't seen a recent thread about CCW renewal wait times, interesting to see the replies.
After waiting almost two months, I received my renewal paperwork today. I had reached out to the State of Kansas CCHL Unit about 2 weeks ago and spoke with a nice lady about when I might see the renewal slip. She apologized for the longer than normal wait time and told me that they have been working through a backlog of renewals as well as first time permits that they are trying to catch up with. Seems like gun sales are still going strong over here, just a heads up for my fellow Kansans that may be close to renewal.
I thought Kansas was no-permit-required for open or concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My current CWP in SC expires in December, but Open Carry will be legal in mid August with a No Fee for CWP permits, but required for open carry if desired!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was told we don't have to renew our CWP in Utah anymore? Now able to open carry, saw a guy doing so at Walmarts (that was a shock seeing some guy in his 60"s packing a Ruger single action).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought Kansas was no-permit-required for open or concealed carry.
You are correct. I only have the card still because I frequently get sent to my company's Oklahoma City warehouse, as well as Denver and Dallas. Looks better if you have the card and get stopped in traffic too, at least in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Renewals in MI aren't to bad, maybe a month.

An initial application though in some counties is over a year to get an appointment.
A family member in Kazoo county visited the clerk in May and received an Aug appointment for the sheriff to get finger prints. He started the process in Jan of this year.
Wayne county is over a year to get the clerk appt, not sure about the sheriff appts.

Fortunately we don't need finger prints done again for renewals anymore.
I get to renew this year and got my notice of expiration that included a website and unique pin if I choose to renew by web. Haven’t decided how I will renew now. I am probably going to just go in and do it face to face next week that way I know and am not sitting around waiting and wondering.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I get to renew this year and got my notice of expiration that included a website and unique pin if I choose to renew by web. Haven’t decided how I will renew now. I am probably going to just go in and do it face to face next week that way I know and am not sitting around waiting and wondering.
I know you're in the area of kazoo county, if that is your county make your appointment now.
The letters go out 6 month prior to expiration and I believe my uncle waited 4 month to see the clerk for his original app.

The online renewals started in late 2018 (the law changed in 15 or 16), since the county boards are now gone the time frame has dropped drastically. Wayne county (Detroit area) used to be 6 to 9 months, now its about 1 month.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Thanks for the heads up EagleScout. My Kansas permit doesn't expire until 2023. Hopefully things will be leveled out by then. Good luck on getting yours on time!

We have permitless concealed carry and open carry, but I also choose to maintain a permit. I go to Missouri, Oklahoma, Colorado and Nebraska often enough to be worth maintaining it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I sent in my renewal in Delaware on 1/4/21 and I received my permit about 5 weeks later. I heard recently that Delaware has temporarily suspended processing new permits until they reduce the backlog of renewals. Our permits expire on 5/31 of the year of renewal and we are allowed to apply on the first business day of the year. The first term is for three years and renewals are for five years.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Couple days, not over a week. 5 years. New Law, don't need one anymore after July 1st. Still getting another one because I travel a lot out of State and it also covers for background checks and new purchases.

Only reason to go into the Sheriffs office is getting a new photo for my ID card and a couple minutes/seconds of paperwork.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts