Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to carry a Glock 19 with an extra mag all the time, but it seems the older I get, the less and less gun weight I want to carry. Even with a high-end gun belt I still feel it. Have to cinch up the belt so tight it's a Florida Anaconda or I constantly hitch up the pants. The fullsize and even medium frame pistols stay home in the nightstands/dresser or get truck duty these days and the smaller ones get full-time pocket carry.

I'm okay with that, though.

·
Super Moderator
4,238 Posts
Different things work for different people. I have tried pocket carry myself and have found that I just have too much stuff in my pockets already. As you mentioned, a good belt is key to carrying on the belt, but one thing I noticed is gun shape matters. I have all manner of handguns of all shapes and sizes and I have finally settled on my Dan Wesson Valkyrie. COO 1911 (officer frame with commander slide) and I have found it to carry like a dream. What you are mentioning with having to cinch a belt tight on your Glock, I know what you mean. I have found that thicker guns such as glocks I have to tighten the belt a lot more than with a slimmer gun like a 1911. I have also found the longer commander barrel of my Valkyrie carried better. It balances the gun in the holster better and I feel like it pushes the butt closer to my body vs trying to rotate away from my body.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I care about my feelings. lololol So I carry what makes me feel good, not what feels good. Right now I have a mid size 15 round Jericho. Other times my full size 1911. I carry all day every day even at work. Lighter the gun the more unruly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I carry a full size gun and multiple spare mags about 16 hours a day.

A good belt and holster makes all the weight disappear in my case.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,045 Posts
I have carried my desert eagle 50ae concealed before, glock 19, ruger p95dc even the alaskan 454, but i usually balance power versus comfort. My usual is a glock 42, but their are times my lcp is on my ankle. if i could carry an m60 with ammo and conceal it at times i would. :p

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Depends on the method of carry. I pocket carry a lot so the Sig P938 @ 16 oz empty works well or when I'm in the mood a Bond Derringer 3" in 44 Spl. In the past I have carried a S&W 642, and LCR 38 Spl and an SP101 2 1/4" that way. For belt carry it is wide open but now it's a P320 SC in .40 S&W or an Sp101.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As I've heard it said ... "It's not always about what you can carry ...it's often more about what you will carry". For the last six years I've carried a S&W 642 Airweight, .38spec. and a strip loader. It carries well on my belt or pocket and never gets left behind. It's loaded with Liberty Civil Defense 50 grn SCHP that are also very light ... all and all this makes for a very easy EDC package.

Also have a 638 Airweight
DSCF1503 (2).JPG
Bodyguard for back-up, glove box or wife's purse.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,556 Posts
I once switched from SR9C to compact 1911.
No matter how good the belt, the weight difference was noticeable.

Reactions: Doc Holliday

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,556 Posts
Reactions: SR40Ohio

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As I've heard it said ... "It's not always about what you can carry ...it's often more about what you will carry". For the last six years I've carried a S&W 642 Airweight, .38spec. and a strip loader. It carries well on my belt or pocket and never gets left behind. It's loaded with Liberty Civil Defense 50 grn SCHP that are also very light ... all and all this makes for a very easy EDC package.

Also have a 638 Airweight View attachment 154601 Bodyguard for back-up, glove box or wife's purse.
Would love an Airweight but the price is off the charts these days, you're lucky to have them. Great guns.

I guess I'm just at the point where I don't feel the need to constantly carry 5+ lbs of gun and ammo around all day, and my lower back thanks me for it. I now normally pocket carry with 15 rounds of reliable centerfire ammo, total weight of pistol and ammo is about 12.4 oz and I can carry everywhere without anyone knowing. Nothing on the right-side belt to give it away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
More and more I carry one or another subcompact 9mm or .40s. But every now and then I’ll break out one of my 1911s and carry it for a day or two. Or my 4” GP100 .357 with several speed strips of spare ammo.
An all steel 1911 and three magazines of 230 grain cartridges is not featherweight for sure, but in a fanny pack type gunpack carried at 12 o’clock, it’s not too uncomfortable at all. Under an untucked shirt it’s not visible.
Whenever the subject of carry handgun weight comes up, I tell the story of a day I was walking around some near downtown streets for the first time. One block past a local favorite touristy type restaurant, the neighborhood took a plunge, abandoned businesses, graffiti covered buildings, trash everywhere. A car passed me with 4 individuals in it. I saw that same car turn right a block down the street, and emerge back on this street at a stop sign a few hundred feet down the road on the right. Just sat there, the driver eying me and making no effort to get out on the street. All of a sudden that steel SR1911 .45 that I had thought was a load, with eight 230 grain jacketed hollow points, and two extra magazines of the same became the most comfortable and comforting load imaginable. As I neared the car, it finally turned right and sped off down the road. I had told myself to keep proceeding and not turn my back on it as I thought about doing. Anyway, nothing happened, but handgun weight that day became an insignificant factor in my carry experience. I’ve had similar events happen on other days I’m carrying a full sized handgun and large capacity mags.

·
Registered
51 Posts
LCR in cargo pants pocket......or....
3” GP 100 (.357) in a De Santis OWB leather thumbbreak scabbard.

Both work well for me
Old “tobacco chew” tin holds 42 rounds of .22lr and goes with the LCR.
Two speed loaders and a 12 round leather strip go with the GP 100

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to carry a Smith Airweight 38 special. I replaced it with a Security 9 compact because I never really got proficient with the Airweight since I refrained from practicing because of the stout kick. Although the Security 9 compact weighs a little more it's flatter than the revolver and conceals just fine. I also like the fact that it holds more rounds and is somewhat more powerful. Ruger recently made available a 15 round magazine for it...which I got, otherwise the standard 10 round mag is ok. Overall a great firearm

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The criminal goes out, intent on breaking the law, they may choose to arm themselves with as big a caliber as possible, they know there WILL BE trouble. We go out, not knowing if there will be trouble or not, so we carry all the time, weighing caliber/weight choice against the odds of running into that criminal/trouble.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts