Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
I probably carry an aluminum frame bobtail commander in .45 auto more than anything. I use a good belt and a well broken in Crossbreed IWB holster. I carry every waking hour and sometimes I almost forget I have it on. Other times it's a 642 in a DeSantis pocket holster or a P365 in a DeSantis leather IWB holster. The list goes on...SR9C, Model 60 3", M&P Compact....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Glock makes some fine mini autos, I advised my sister to get one in 9 mm. But it ain’t for me, I am hankering for a Ruger LCRx in .357. And that is what makes me happy right now; or a .45 1911 Ruger, that would work too.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
The criminal goes out, intent on breaking the law, they may choose to arm themselves with as big a caliber as possible, they know there WILL BE trouble. We go out, not knowing if there will be trouble or not, so we carry all the time, weighing caliber/weight choice against the odds of running into that criminal/trouble.
Surprisingly (or not), most criminals just aren’t that gun savvy. I’ve had the chance to talk to quite a few, in my professional capacity, and a lot of them think that the 9mm (“nine mill”) is the pinnacle of handgun firepower. Perhaps they’re confusing magazine capacity with power - who knows.

Most of the time, they’re carrying whatever they have handy or can borrow from a friend or family member. In the bigger cities, some neighborhoods have a “community gun” - usually held by a senior member of the community - that people can borrow if they feel the need.

Ammunition is another issue - I’ve been amazed at times to see how corroded the ammunition some criminals are carrying. One time, we found a revolver on an unconscious man and the casings were so corroded that they had become practically welded into the cylinder and couldn’t be removed.

The reason obscenely extended-capacity magazines are so popular in the gang demographic (30-round Glock magazines are practically diagnostic of gang membership around here), I’ve come to find out, is because so many of them lack proficiency in changing magazines.

And when it comes to marksmanship, well, if you’re hit in a gang shooting, don’t take take it personally - they probably weren’t aiming at you.

So, I’d have to say that, with a few exceptional, the average criminal who tries to rob you with a gun will have minimal to no experience firing the gun he’s carrying and may even have only the vaguest idea of what caliber it is.

Not long ago, we had a young fellow (or felon) in the “shop” bragging about his “Glock nine mill” and how he was going to miss it (because it was in a police evidence box and he was a felon in possession). I asked the officer if I could see the gun and - surprise! - it was a S&W Sigma in .40 S&W.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I carried my LCR357 with a spare speedstrip for years...switched over to semi-autos about a year ago for the increased capacity. Currently carrying a Shield Plus in my rotation. Keep a spare mag handy but not on my person. If I can't get it done with 10 + 1 then it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Over all the years and seat time, I still prefer a FS in a shoulder holster with spare mag holder (for balance) and comfort under a shirt. Never found any single IWB that worked for "everything", rather carry OWB if I had/have to carry on the belt. Pants pockets already have other uses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sig P938 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster is just about as comfortable as it gets, at least to me. Spare mag or two in other pockets and I could almost forget they are there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used to carry a Glock 19 with an extra mag all the time, but it seems the older I get, the less and less gun weight I want to carry. Even with a high-end gun belt I still feel it. Have to cinch up the belt so tight it's a Florida Anaconda or I constantly hitch up the pants. The fullsize and even medium frame pistols stay home in the nightstands/dresser or get truck duty these days and the smaller ones get full-time pocket carry.

I'm okay with that, though.
Another consideration about "belts" is if you have a troubled lumbar spine (like I do) there are alot of casual day to day belts that kill my back - For the past couple of years I've been using stretchy belts, I realize that would be counter intuitive for carrying a holster, it is a problem needing a logical utilitarian solution though

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Due to an injury I am severely limited on what I can carry on a belt or supported by a belt. It is too warm now but I like a vest. I can either carry in the vest or carry the stuff I would normally carry in my pockets in the vest and belt or pocket carry a light handgun. Right now I am carrying my normal pocket stuff, wallet, keys, cellphone and folding knife and a Keltec P32 with extra 10 round mag on my belt. The P32 weighs 10 oz loaded. Cooler weather with the vest or jacket it is the LCR 38 spl 16 oz loaded. Suspenders will allow me to carry heavier. Necessary if I want to carry a 9mm. Shoulder rig would also work. Just cant have the weight on a belt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I liked to carry my Colt Combat Commander (.45) in a Safariland IWB swede holster, but after not carrying for 30 years living in NJ there is no room inside the waist band for any thing but me:( I am still a 38 waist but I think my wife is shrinking my pants, they still fit but are some what tighter.
I am down 10# in the last few weeks and would like to go back to the Commander or my Glock 30s.
You should check out the Glock 43X it is smaller than the 19, it only has a 10 round factory mag but Shield Arms makes a steel 15 round flush fit mag, I have both.
Maybe the home boys could improve their aim if they had something like this:
ganstasites.jpg
or this:
glock sight 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I usually carry a 4" "K" frame revolver and 24 extra rounds in strips or speed loaders. I considered a 1911 but just couldn't get used to teh cocked 'n locked idea. I'm planning on getting a Ruger American eventually. Either way I carry using a owb holster, partly from being used to carry a belt holster with my duty weapon and partly because iwb just isn't comfortable for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
EDC 18yrs and counting: Myself with 24/7 chronic pain due to permanent limited mobility back injury.
1st time EDC choice 2020: Ruger American Pistol Pro Duty 9mm

At 53yrs old, I have come to appreciate a shoulder rig the most, to adapt and overcome. Driving/sitting is the main reason for this choice that provides my needs with the best balance on my body frame (30 waist) and I have added a Fobus IWBMCC recently. Combined with my Kore belt, I truly forget I'm wearing a full size pistol. The comfort level is amazing to me, against bare skin. I'm also able to tuck a shirt while keeping CC but that just looks silly. With a 17 round magazine on my left OWB, I've a well balanced weight system. Or shoulder rig with 2 mags under the right arm, I find this true now of either choice I pick for EDC, as long as I carry.
Having good habits takes daily practice and common sense. I didn't choose a back injury as a lifetime outcome but I can choose to work daily habits to defend myself using every tool available to me. One day I'll get to the weakness point of not being able to load additional weight onto my frame with a full size firearm and extra magazine, so pepper spray options are there and much lighter. Incorporating this tool now forward will help long term to stay as prepared as possible. Maybe one day I'll entertain the thought of an LCP or GP100 .357.
We prepare and train because we're not morons. Finding lightweight options when living with a disability or aging woes are and should be part of all our mindsets. Sharpen the mind along with the tools. Let the bad guys get dumber, because they won't be next to you practicing at the range or dry firing at home with the latest tools. We live in the real world, not Hollywood cinema bullshit.

Best of luck hunting down what works best for you Doc!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I usually carry a 4" "K" frame revolver and 24 extra rounds in strips or speed loaders. I considered a 1911 but just couldn't get used to teh cocked 'n locked idea. I'm planning on getting a Ruger American eventually. Either way I carry using a owb holster, partly from being used to carry a belt holster with my duty weapon and partly because iwb just isn't comfortable for me.
I too am not a big fan of Condition one (cocked and locked), although some holsters for the 1911 will only properly secure it in condition one, I prefer condition 2 (loaded chamber hammer down). It does take some practice to draw and cock with the off hand, but can be done fairly quickly.

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but with a 1911 hammer down on a loaded chamber it can fire if enough force is applied to the hammer? To me that is far more dangerous than cocked and locked.

Reactions: rman

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can relate to a slight my pants are shrinking problem too. So I found a Kahr PM9, in a stow-n-go on those cheeky days when I feel skinny, and a Galco OWB Paddle when not. Left side Fobus double mag carrier gives me 21 rounds on my belt.
As for concealing my Ma-Duece, a poncho or good ol' Shelter Half does the job just fine. It's the belt of 50 Rounds I have trouble lugging around concealed.:eek:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I too am not a big fan of Condition one (cocked and locked), although some holsters for the 1911 will only properly secure it in condition one, I prefer condition 2 (loaded chamber hammer down). It does take some practice to draw and cock with the off hand, but can be done fairly quickly.
The 1911 was designed to carry in condition one. Condition two is not recommended.

Unless the manual safety is disengaged and the trigger pulled, a 1911 will not fire. And that is ignoring the grip safety. No reason exists not to carry a 1911 cocked and locked. Certainly far safer than the striker fired with no external safety.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I care about my feelings. lololol So I carry what makes me feel good, not what feels good. Right now I have a mid size 15 round Jericho. Other times my full size 1911. I carry all day every day even at work. Lighter the gun the more unruly.
You don't see many mentions of Jerichos. Israeli made. I would like to try one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to agree with all that but with another Bday over 70, I began to contemplate the need for more defense than a comfortable lightweight Ruger LCR 357mag 5-shot, SHORT barrel that needs lots of practice to bullseye
so added weight in a tackhammer 45ACP S.A. MOD.2 10-shot with Ranger T-series +P
Indeed - I agree - it took awhile to get used to the weight and practice pocket drawing it but now I feel much better about this real-deal PD setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but with a 1911 hammer down on a loaded chamber it can fire if enough force is applied to the hammer? To me that is far more dangerous than cocked and locked.
What would be hitting the hammer while in a IWB holster?
That is not correct, the firing pin is not protruding from the breech face when the hammer is down, you can take a sledge hammer and hit the hammer and it will not fire. Yes I know that it was designed to be carried in condition one, It is my choice to carry in condition two when not in a holster designed to carry in condition one.
I was wondering how long it would be before the carry Nazis would jump on this.
Do what you want, don't tell me whats right or wrong!
Yes it can fire, if dropped from high enough and lands directly on the muzzle, but I am only 6'9" so I don't worry about that.

·
Super Moderator
4,238 Posts
What would be hitting the hammer while in a IWB holster?
That is not correct, the firing pin is not protruding from the breech face when the hammer is down, you can take a sledge hammer and hit the hammer and it will not fire. Yes I know that it was designed to be carried in condition one, It is my choice to carry in condition two when not in a holster designed to carry in condition one.
I was wondering how long it would be before the carry Nazis would jump on this.
Do what you want, don't tell me whats right or wrong!
Yes it can fire, if dropped from high enough and lands directly on the muzzle, but I am only 6'9" so I don't worry about that.
The 1911 is dangerous to carry in condition 2. It is a condition 1 or 3 firearm. There is a caveat. Colt created the series 80 so that a 1911 could safely be carried in condition 2. The hammer can be hit with enough force to cause a discharge. If you look at the underside of a series 80 slide, you will see a little button where the firing pin (segment) is misaligned and when you pull the trigger, the button is pushed simultaneously and brings the pin segments into alignment.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts