Ruger Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Either via mag extension or mag sleeve (XGRIP utilizing G19 mags) I think the 26 is a better EDC option for me. While the 43X is a bit thinner and lighter, the 26 is not as tall even with the XGRIP, and you're carrying an extra 5 rounds which might come in handy if you're living on the fringes of Memphis like I am. In any case, I'm partial to GEN3 frames.........to each his own. The 43X is a nice package. :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,869 Posts
Springer Hellcat, Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock 30S, Ruger SR1911 LW CMD, LCR 357, S&W Chief's special, Kimber Micro 380 & 9 are the perfect carry guns for me depending on situation and weather. Also have a S&W Governor which sleep near me or rides in truck on long drives.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Haven't been on the site for a while but just saw this post and decided to respond. I usually walk 5 miles every morning, weather permitting. I used to carry a Smith "Body Guard .380 but let a friend talk me out of it last year for his wife. I ended up buying a used SCCY CPX-2 9mm. I installed an M-Carbo trigger kit that reduced the double action pull to 8 lbs from the original 12 lbs. I currently stoke the 10 round mag with 90 grain cast HPs loaded to 1170 fps and are very accurate in this pistol at 15 yards (1.5"). I slip the gun in my back pocket when I head out to walk at 4 AM (when it's cooler). Easy to carry and deploy if needed and the round is better than the 380 I used to tote.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Either via mag extension or mag sleeve (XGRIP utilizing G19 mags) I think the 26 is a better EDC option for me. While the 43X is a bit thinner and lighter, the 26 is not as tall even with the XGRIP, and you're carrying an extra 5 rounds which might come in handy if you're living on the fringes of Memphis like I am. In any case, I'm partial to GEN3 frames.........to each his own. The 43X is a nice package. :cool:

View attachment 154858
I used to carry my 26 just like that. I bought a sheet of the talon grip and cut pieces to put around the Xgrip. Never had an issue with the 26 with the G19 mag.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but with a 1911 hammer down on a loaded chamber it can fire if enough force is applied to the hammer? To me that is far more dangerous than cocked and locked.
I'll try axing again, cuz I feel lucky. Besides, I gots to know:

There are reasons to be concerned about carrying a 1911 with a round in the chamber. Does the same concern apply with a DA hammer-fired?

Sure, a DA trigger pull is safer. But can applying force to the hammer make it fire, like the point about the 1911?

By the way, does dropping it apply enough force to the hammer to make it fire?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'll try axing again, cuz I feel lucky. Besides, I gots to know:

There are reasons to be concerned about carrying a 1911 with a round in the chamber. Does the same concern apply with a DA hammer-fired?

Sure, a DA trigger pull is safer. But can applying force to the hammer make it fire, like the point about the 1911?

By the way, does dropping it apply enough force to the hammer to make it fire?
A.) If You carry a 1911 Series 80, there's No "Concerns" about a round in the chamber, and with Ruger's Heavy Return Spring and Titanium Firing pin, it's not a worry in a Series 70 1911A1, either..
Seems no one knows the difference, or even that there are 2 different 1911's, or what the difference IS.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Correct, we were hoping you would tell us
Series 80's have a firing pin block, so unless the trigger is pulled, You won't get an AD.
The Series 70's don't have the Frame & Slide Blocking parts and CAN be fired, even when just "Checking" for a loaded Chamber, if not careful.
The difference can be seen in the Slide and also the Frame.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks, that post actually did prompt me to run a duckduckgo search and learn more about it
You are more than Welcome...It's a difference WORTH Knowing. Both for Safety sake and most claim smoother/ lighter trigger pulls in the Series 70's, but There's a "Kit", sold by Brownwells'
that replaces original Series 80 parts, with Titanium Nitride Coating. That gave Me as good a trigger pull as any Series 70....smooth as glass.
Good luck!!!. Glad to see someone "look into" the differences

·
Registered
17 Posts
Series 80's have a firing pin block, so unless the trigger is pulled, You won't get an AD.
The Series 70's don't have the Frame & Slide Blocking parts and CAN be fired, even when just "Checking" for a loaded Chamber, if not careful.
The difference can be seen in the Slide and also the Frame.
I appreciate the insight, I doubt I would have got that on my own, because I was focused on DA

·
Registered
45 Posts
I understand that weight is an issue for some people. It is, to an extent for me. I'm currently looking for a better off-duty EDC. currently I'm looking for something in 9 or .357 that will come in below 20 oz (loaded). There are more criteria in my future selection but the weight factors in quite prominently. I don't have any back issues to speak of. My weight concern is related to ease of carry; specifically in the warmer months. I would love to be able to run my Glock 26/TLR-6, with Magpul 12 round mags with sweatpants. But it ain't happening. I can just get away with it using a Taurus 709 Slim, or Poly 605.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts