Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would recommend either the SR9c or the LC9. The SR9c comes with one 10 round magazine and one 17 round magazine. If you want something even smaller, go with the LC9. It comes with one 7 round magazine. Both are great for a CCW.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ccw the LC9 IWB every day morning to night and it's a dream to carry.
7 rnds mag 1 rnd in chamber.
accurate, light recoil, conceals beautifully and has fired without a single hitch any American made boxer primed ammo I've fed it.
Some folks complain about the trigger pull. I have no problem with it in fact if you do not keep the safty on I doubt there would be any worry. Personally I do keep it on.
It is fun to shoot but probably not a range gun. But for what it's designed for it's just great. SD is why I bought it and what I practice for the most then a little longer range just in case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a chance to fire the LC9 vs. Beretta Nano last night. I've never shot subcompact guns before, all my guns are fullsize. Between both, I liked the LC9 better and shot it better. Nothing wrong with the Nano, it was a cool little gun, just the LC9 felt better and I shot it well. I would need A LOT of practice to get good with sub compact DAO pistols. Good luck...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have the LC9. Seven shots though. Long trigger pull. Very light. Nice gun. Size close to Walther PPK, but much lighter. I think closer to that, than even the LCP. Everytime I think that 7 is too few, I always remember the mighty 1911 had only 7 (granted though 45 is bigger than 9mm)! I think someone said 10+1 on SR9c. I thought ruger's website said it holds 13. I was always confused about that given grip frame size is substantially smaller than the full size. They must use the same mag with an extension (essentially making the C a full size with a shorter barrel). The grip is the part hard to conceal so I guess you'd never use the larger mag. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the LC9. Seven shots though. Long trigger pull. Very light. Nice gun. Size close to Walther PPK, but much lighter. I think closer to that, than even the LCP. Everytime I think that 7 is too few, I always remember the mighty 1911 had only 7 (granted though 45 is bigger than 9mm)! I think someone said 10+1 on SR9c. I thought ruger's website said it holds 13. I was always confused about that given grip frame size is substantially smaller than the full size. They must use the same mag with an extension (essentially making the C a full size with a shorter barrel). The grip is the part hard to conceal so I guess you'd never use the larger mag. Good luck!
Nope, the small mag is 10 + 1 on mine.

To the OP, I love the SR9c. It shoots great and is incredibly comfortable for a compact gun (compared to my Glock 27). Its slim and accurate and a ton of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is the Ruger forum, so all the posters posit good choices, SR9C and LC9. If you are willing to go off the reservation, for single stacks take a look at the S&W M&P Shield and the Walther PPS. For double-stack, the M&P 9C could be an option. Full disclosure: after looking at the LC9 I bought the PPS (the Shield was not available at the time); now that I've handled the Shield, I'm still happy with the PPS. And I own a M&P 40C (same size as the 9). The PPS is marginally larger than the LC9 but handles recoil better IMO, and the trigger is exceptional.

The fun thing is there are so many choices out there. The bad thing is there are so many choices out there. Happy Hunting.

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
I feel very comfy with the LC9. My wife has the Sig P238 and loves it too. I keep six in the mag and one in the chamber. The long trigger pull is a safety function. You're less likely to snag the trigger and get an bullet in your leg if you pocket carry. Statistics show that unless your in a war zone, The average number of rounds used in self defense is four or less. 90% of the time just pulling it out will calm things down. I also keep an extra mag in the holster. Recently I had to pull the pistol out while driving to work because a tourist was being harrased by a VERY pushy pan-handler. It worked. No shots fired, Mr. trouble maker straightened up and all was well. The pan-handler was even willing to stand there long enough to endure my lecture on the dangers of threatening behavior in a polite and armed society. :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Carry the LC9 and have over 700 flawless rounds thru it (use 124 grain for FMJ & JHP).

Do not understand what concerns folks may have with the trigger pull or recoil - not a problem IMHO.

Try a Remora IWB - no clip and it stays secure regardless of what I'm physically doing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have carried the Ruger SR9c for the last several years and have loved it. Best holster for me is the Remora. My next gun will be the Taurus TCP .380.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have carried the Ruger SR9c for the last several years and have loved it. Best holster for me is the Remora. My next gun will be the Taurus TCP .380.
Excellent choice. I have a TCP & like it a lot for the price.
Love that SR9c. It & the LC9 will be my winter carry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The LC9 has great reviews but some feel the magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, manual safety, long trigger and internal lock complicate/compromise its SD objective... I guess if one practices a lot, these features would not be aproblem during a SD encounter. That is why I prefer the LCP... simple to use, effective when used with SD ammunition. Food for thought.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm very pleased with the Lc9, it is very well made and comfortable to shoot, but the Sr9c is also a very slim and compact pistol as well. My wife now has my Lc9 and I intend to purchase an SR9c to replace it due to my experence with my SR9.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nope, the small mag is 10 + 1 on mine.

To the OP, I love the SR9c. It shoots great and is incredibly comfortable for a compact gun (compared to my Glock 27). Its slim and accurate and a ton of fun to shoot.
I just checked the Ruger website, for the SR9c, it says 17+1 and 10+1 on other model numbers. I am shocked it can even hold 17. Does it come with 2 mags of different sizes, or is the 10 for the state of MA, or is the 17 incorrect? If true, I guess I don't need my big honking Beretta 92A1 to achieve 17 shots w/o reloading!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just checked the Ruger website, for the SR9c, it says 17+1 and 10+1 on other model numbers. I am shocked it can even hold 17. Does it come with 2 mags of different sizes, or is the 10 for the state of MA, or is the 17 incorrect? If true, I guess I don't need my big honking Beretta 92A1 to achieve 17 shots w/o reloading!!!
If your state allows more than 10 round magazines you can get the model that comes with one 10 round magazine and one 17 round magazine. The other model (for states like California) comes with two 10 round magazines. I like having both. The 10 round magazine is great for CCW with the 17 round as a backup. Also, the 17 round magazines are great for the range.:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I looked at both the LC9 and the SR9c before I bought. The LC9 just didn't fit quite right. The SR9c fit better and after 500 rounds, I have yet to have a problem. I carry it every day with no problems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts