Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I picked up an LC9 a few weeks ago, and while I find the gun nice, I am having a hard time trusting it. I can say I have had no malfunctions yet, but I have a weird groove developing on the hammer and I just question the internals on such a small device. I suppose my concerns are unfounded but....they are there. That being said, I am fine carrying the LC9, but I can't say I haven't been looking at other guns since I got this one. Which is why I'm posting here.

I'm in Arizona and inclined to support the Ruger manufacturing plant here, so I've been taking a look at the SR9C (not the 40c because I want to keep the caliber consistent between my guns for now; the LC9 was my first gun purchase). I've been able to handle the gun and I liked it, it felt trustworthy. However, I am a short dude (5'5), and am concerned about how the gun would work as a CCW. I don't have any problems with the weight of the gun, but the additional thickness worries me a bit. Any thoughts?

Is the SR9C something I should be considering, or should I just stick to smaller guns?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm around your size and have no problem concealing either the LC9 or the SR9c. I carry my LC9 in an IWB holster from Crossbreed and the SR9c in an IWB holster from White Hat. Needless to say, the LC9 is easier to conceal due to it being a little bit smaller and thinner because it's a single stack. I normally wear pull over pocket T-shirts and both conceal real well. The SR9c is a great shooting pistol and I highly recommend it (along with a bunch of others on this forum). :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the SR9c and carry it daily in a Remora holster. No one to date has approached me about "printing" so evidently it works for me! I am 5'-11", but I don't think your height will affect how you carry yours. :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey folks,

I picked up an LC9 a few weeks ago, and while I find the gun nice, I am having a hard time trusting it. I can say I have had no malfunctions yet, but I have a weird groove developing on the hammer and I just question the internals on such a small device. I suppose my concerns are unfounded but....they are there. That being said, I am fine carrying the LC9, but I can't say I haven't been looking at other guns since I got this one. Which is why I'm posting here.

I'm in Arizona and inclined to support the Ruger manufacturing plant here, so I've been taking a look at the SR9C (not the 40c because I want to keep the caliber consistent between my guns for now; the LC9 was my first gun purchase). I've been able to handle the gun and I liked it, it felt trustworthy. However, I am a short dude (5'5), and am concerned about how the gun would work as a CCW. I don't have any problems with the weight of the gun, but the additional thickness worries me a bit. Any thoughts?

Is the SR9C something I should be considering, or should I just stick to smaller guns?
Every auto loader that has a hammer will get some marks on the hammer (mostly blueing wearing off) from the slide cocking the hammer. I bought a SR9C when they first came out for my wife, she finds it too heavy for her purse and I find it too big for pocket carry. We never had any problems with it but it is the least favorite of the four 9mm we own. Hard to pin down but both us of don't like it. We then bought a LC9 mostly for its small size and both my wife and I really like it. It is accurate, never has had a problem, recoil is OK, and is light and easy to carry.
I have to carry in a pocket, and it really works out great in a number four Blackhawk pocket holster and it weighs nothing and is small for a lady to carry in her purse.
If I was to buy another what I consider "small chunkey" 9mms, I would buy a Glock 26 over the Ruger SR9c after shooting both and owning the SR9c. I shot the Glock much better, but it also wouldn't be practical for the way I have
to pocket carry either.
With a CCW everything is a compromise and what works best for one might not work for another at all. Nothing wrong with looking at other guns, that is part of the fun of the shooting sports.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just got the LC9, size is so perfect....

the SR9c, was what i PLANNED to get, but the size is just so thick/bulky, that i knew it wouldn't be as good for general CCW, going from standing to sitting, etc....so i went with the smaller, and a little cheaper LC9...

but are you REALLY questioning the "reliability" of the LC9, or are you useing that as an excuse, to CONVINCE yourself yo buy the sr9? thats what it sounds like to me.

you a man, do what you gotta do, if you want another gun, go buy it, and it doesn't matter what other people think... but you shouldn't be concerned with quality of the LC9, its a ruger, which generally means its made of pure gold.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I am somewhat larger than the OP and own an SR9C that I planned to use for a CCW. However, I find that is a bit bulky to conceal properly unless I am wearing a jacket or sweater. Even with a Crossbreed IWB, I find it printing with just a shirt. My solution was to go to a smaller pistol to carry IWB or pocket carry. After looking at all the various smaller 9MM and .380 guns that fit my size criteria, I selected a KAHR CM9 (blasphemy-I know). The fact is that it is a heck of a nice gun that works perfectly for me and is about the same money as the LC9. I will keep the SR9C for use at the range and when I can carry it with a jacket or sweater on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just got the LC9, size is so perfect....

the SR9c, was what i PLANNED to get, but the size is just so thick/bulky, that i knew it wouldn't be as good for general CCW, going from standing to sitting, etc....so i went with the smaller, and a little cheaper LC9...

but are you REALLY questioning the "reliability" of the LC9, or are you useing that as an excuse, to CONVINCE yourself yo buy the sr9? thats what it sounds like to me.

you a man, do what you gotta do, if you want another gun, go buy it, and it doesn't matter what other people think... but you shouldn't be concerned with quality of the LC9, its a ruger, which generally means its made of pure gold.
Not trying to use it as an excuse, I'm having valid issues http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/60127-lc9-missing-chunk-hammer.html

The gun has been 100% reliable SO FAR, but I am uncertain about its future. The hammer mostly makes me feel uneasy

·
Registered
395 Posts
I too find the SR9c a bit big to carry around, except for open-carry on my own property. Not too heavy, just kind of bulky. So the LC9/LCP are for pocket carry, and both are absolutely perfect.

As to the hammer problem that got raised, I have put over a thousand rounds thru my LC9, and have never noticed any damage on its hammer or anywhere else on the gun. The only time it's not been dependable is when my boy's girlfriend tried it out and she kept limp-wristing it. The front sight -may- have drifted a bit to the right, but I don't really know, since it might have come that way and I didn't notice before, going to keep an eye on it from now on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I carry an SR9c every day in a De Santis IWB. At 5'-10" never had a problem. I like how it fits in my hand. And it is accurate.

·
Registered
951 Posts
To me the LC9 begs to be pocket carried and the SR9c is a ideal size for IWB. I sold my LC9 cause I just didn't like the trigger and redundant safetys also I'm a fat kid so I bought a SR9.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry the SR9c in an IWB. I'm 6'-0" and 186lbs. It hides on me pretty well but I really don't care if I print slightly. I see so many open carrying and I bet 6 out of 10 don't even notice. I take note of this and figure nobody even notices a bump on my hip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts