Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a very busy, tiring day at the office, the young woman settled down in her seat and closed her eyes as the train departed the station..

As the train rolled out of the station, the guy sitting next to her pulled out his cell phone and started talking in a loud voice:

“Hi sweetheart, it’s Eric, I’m on the train – yes, I know it’s the six thirty and not the four thirty, but I had a long meeting – no, honey, not with that floozy from the accounts office, with the boss. No sweetheart, you’re the only one in my life – yes, I’m sure, cross my heart,” etc., etc.

Fifteen minutes later, he was still talking loudly, when the woman sitting next to him, who was obviously annoyed by his continuous loud blabbing, yelled
”Hey, Eric, turn that stupid phone off, and come back to bed!"

Eric doesn’t use his cell phone in public any longer.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I hate loud people.
And more shops over here are refusing to serve people if they are on their cell at the time.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I hate loud people.
And more shops over here are refusing to serve people if they are on their cell at the time.
So do I. I have a cell phone but seldom have it on me. It usually sits in the car. Most people who know me know the best way to get a hold of me is by email.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
"Cell Phone" and "Etiquette" don't fit in the same sentence. I think there should be a law that you have to be at least 50 feet from anyone when you use one. And yakking on one behind the wheel should be a felony.

I have one, but it never leaves the house unless I'm on a long trip.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Very funny and I wish I could do something to shut others up.
I was with a friend one time and we were in line and a guy was talking on his cell phone loud enough that everyone could hear. My friend started asking the guy what the other person was saying. Then we all started talking and speculating on the conversation. The guy got annoyed with us and got out of line.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Saw that one coming... :D

But I feel I have to comment here. I'm a twenty-something and have had a cell phone since I turned 15 and could drive. My mom wanted me to have it in case of an emergency. I only had a few minutes a month so there was no yakking uncontrollably or talking for hours on end with my girlfriend from across town. It wasn't until I got my own cell phone on my own plan that I actually started to talk on it regularly. When I moved out, I never got a home phone because everyone that wanted to reach me, had my cell phone number.

I do talk while driving, but I try not to text while driving unless I'm stopped at a light or something. Even then, I'm leery of it just in case someone were to rear end me or something. The cops will subpoena your cell records and if you were texting at the time of the accident (your fault or not), I think the offense carries a sentence of death by disembowelment and quartering. I'm pretty sure texting while driving carries a significantly higher punishment than even a DUI in my state. Although texting while driving and driving under the influence of alcohol are sort of the same. Either way you're under the influence.

I don't talk on the phone in stores. EVER. I finish my conversation outside and then go in. It's rude and obnoxious to hear someone chatting away as they peruse the aisles of the grocery store. Especially because most people seem to think that you have to yell into the phone so that the person on the other end can hear you from wherever they are. I'm pretty sure most people could probably save their minutes and just shout to the person on the other end and make a connection. People in China would rather they didn't talk at all.

I try to be extremely courteous. I'm an 80's baby so I grew up with a world of technology moving faster than I could have ever imagined. I can't even begin to understand how different my life would be if you took away my technology. I'm a geek at heart and I adore anything with buttons, a touch screen, a hard drive or an internet port. But I understand that I share this planet with a whole other generation that is not quite so fond of our electron-hogging accessories and I try to make sure that I don't cross the line with them.

It's called respect and I wish more people had it.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
..........I understand that I share this planet with a whole other generation that is not quite so fond of our electron-hogging accessories and I try to make sure that I don't cross the line with them.

It's called respect and I wish more people had it.
Thank you, me and thousands of others wish it, too.....:D

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Thank you, me and thousands of others wish it, too.....:D
Yes sir!

My grandmother taught me early on that you don't cross the older generation. For they will make you cut your own switch that they will, in turn, beat you with. It becomes a mind game at that point because you're standing there looking at that River Birch (yes, this is getting personal) and you're thinking, "If I bring in that one, she's going to send me back out or just get the belt. If I bring in that one, it'll break my back. If I get that one, it's going to sting. Do I want bruises or welts?" And the whole time, she's inside watching.

No, I wasn't abused as a child. But yes, I got the belt a couple of times (didn't take too many times before I realized that whatever I did to get the belt wasn't worth getting the belt for). Yes, I had my mouth washed out with soap. More than once. Yes, I was popped in the face by both my mother and my father for saying what should never have been said, especially to one's mother and/or father. Am I better off for all of it? Yeah. I am. Do I carry excess baggage from my youth for which I need hours and hours of expensive therapy and specialized medication?

Hell no.

Know what I do have? Respect. :)

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
My Daughter crabbed me out once for not answering my cell phone. I was talking to a very important person and had the ringer off. Daughter asked "who is so important you can't answer the phone?" I told her I was talking to a VERY beautiful woman. Her eyes got very big and she asked "Who???" The answer was "Mom." I guess politness is and old person thing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
...Know what I do have? Respect. :)
The truly sad thing is that the current army of handwringers have another term for it: Lack of self-esteem.
Lord, how I loathe that bastardization of the English language!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yes sir!

My grandmother taught me early on that you don't cross the older generation. For they will make you cut your own switch that they will, in turn, beat you with. It becomes a mind game at that point because you're standing there looking at that River Birch (yes, this is getting personal) and you're thinking, "If I bring in that one, she's going to send me back out or just get the belt. If I bring in that one, it'll break my back. If I get that one, it's going to sting. Do I want bruises or welts?" And the whole time, she's inside watching.

No, I wasn't abused as a child. But yes, I got the belt a couple of times (didn't take too many times before I realized that whatever I did to get the belt wasn't worth getting the belt for). Yes, I had my mouth washed out with soap. More than once. Yes, I was popped in the face by both my mother and my father for saying what should never have been said, especially to one's mother and/or father. Am I better off for all of it? Yeah. I am. Do I carry excess baggage from my youth for which I need hours and hours of expensive therapy and specialized medication?

Hell no.

Know what I do have? Respect. :)
Very well said

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
The last fatality I attended was a young girl texting, missed a slight curve in the road and went straight into the front of 40 tonne of concrete truck (out the front of my house).
The phone with the partly written text was still in her hand.
Don't talk or text whilst driving, bluetooth accessories are so cheap these days..... :confused:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
He won't babble on the train again anytiome soon. I hate the people who talk on their bluetooth like nobody else matters.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
The last fatality I attended was a young girl texting, missed a slight curve in the road and went straight into the front of 40 tonne of concrete truck (out the front of my house).
The phone with the partly written text was still in her hand.
Don't talk or text whilst driving, bluetooth accessories are so cheap these days..... :confused:
You know... I've done my fair share of texting while driving. I admit it, despite the sheer stupidity of it. I'm really understanding the danger of it though. Just looking at a text on my phone for a second is enough to send me veering into the wrong lane. It's really stupid.

I think AT&T says it best, "It can wait."

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You know... I've done my fair share of texting while driving. I admit it, despite the sheer stupidity of it. I'm really understanding the danger of it though. Just looking at a text on my phone for a second is enough to send me veering into the wrong lane. It's really stupid.

I think AT&T says it best, "It can wait."
Gone in a heartbeat..... :eek:
Put the phone down, we'd like to see you stick around..... :D

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
The truly sad thing is that the current army of handwringers have another term for it: Lack of self-esteem.
Lord, how I loathe that bastardization of the English language!
I hear ya... I think that showing respect to others shows MORE self-esteem because you are comfortable enough with yourself to be kind and thoughtful to others. You put others' wants and needs ahead of your own, and in my opinion, that is the greatest gift you can give and the greatest show of how you truly feel about yourself.

Another thing about cell phones that I hate (getting back to the original topic) is when someone is texting while ordering food at a restaurant (especially Subway or Jersey Mikes) where you have to pay attention to what you're saying. I have a short amount of time for my lunchbreaks sometimes and I like to get my sub to go (I go to the Subway 2 miles from work a couple days a week) and it never fails that the days I'm in a hurry, someone in line in front of me has their nose buried in their Android texting while the girl behind the counter is trying to figure out what veggies they want on their super-sized Philly Cheesesteak.

One day, I was in a particular rush and it was pretty busy. The girl in line in front of me was texting while ordering her subs (more than one) and wasn't paying attention. The girl making her sandwich asked her twice what kind of veggies she wanted and the girl didn't respond because she was texting. Finally I said, "Hey, you gonna wrap up that conversation some time this month or should we all just go find a place to sit while you finish writing that book?" She gave me a snotty look, put her phone in her pocket and finished up her order. I thought the girl making the subs was going to pass out.

Like I said. I have a lot of respect for others, but when they show that much disrespect to those servicing them and the people waiting in line behind them, they lose all my respect and I make sure they know it.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Gone in a heartbeat..... :eek:
Put the phone down, we'd like to see you stick around..... :D
Thanks James. I make it a point to not do it anymore. It's illegal in my town anyway. If a cop sees you doing it, you get a ticket. And it's not a light fine either. I think it's something like $245 or so.

I'll make sure to stick around. I like it here. Much more than the everyday people I have to deal with! :)

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I hear ya... I think that showing respect to others shows MORE self-esteem because you are comfortable enough with yourself to be kind and thoughtful to others. You put others' wants and needs ahead of your own, and in my opinion, that is the greatest gift you can give and the greatest show of how you truly feel about yourself.

Another thing about cell phones that I hate (getting back to the original topic) is when someone is texting while ordering food at a restaurant (especially Subway or Jersey Mikes) where you have to pay attention to what you're saying. I have a short amount of time for my lunchbreaks sometimes and I like to get my sub to go (I go to the Subway 2 miles from work a couple days a week) and it never fails that the days I'm in a hurry, someone in line in front of me has their nose buried in their Android texting while the girl behind the counter is trying to figure out what veggies they want on their super-sized Philly Cheesesteak.

One day, I was in a particular rush and it was pretty busy. The girl in line in front of me was texting while ordering her subs (more than one) and wasn't paying attention. The girl making her sandwich asked her twice what kind of veggies she wanted and the girl didn't respond because she was texting. Finally I said, "Hey, you gonna wrap up that conversation some time this month or should we all just go find a place to sit while you finish writing that book?" She gave me a snotty look, put her phone in her pocket and finished up her order. I thought the girl making the subs was going to pass out.

Like I said. I have a lot of respect for others, but when they show that much disrespect to those servicing them and the people waiting in line behind them, they lose all my respect and I make sure they know it.
The city dump charges by the ton and has certain other charges for disposing of batteries, tires, refrigerators but I love the sign that says there is a $20 charge for talking on the phone while on the scale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts