Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an in-depth viewpoint on this controversial method of conceal carry, which I believe everyone should look at, regardless of their preferences now:

http://www.mdtstraining.com/The%20Efficacy%20of%20Centerline%20Primary%20Tool%20Carry.pdf

Early this year, upon purchasing my new SP101 2" barrel .357 Magnum, I elected to go with this principle of carry for one primary reason: concealment. Here in MA, open carry is frowned upon. Although not illegal per se, showing your weapon, in public, can result in arrest and eventual revocation of your LTC.

That being said, I looked at two readily available centerline carry rigs; the Smart Carry and the Thunderwear. Both seemed to me to be nearly identical in fit and function. I selected the Thunderwear, simply because it was available at a local gun show I attended.

Here is my critique of this product and technique:

First, this rig cost almost as much as a quality leather hip holster, OWB or IWB. $50. is not chump change in my book. However, after this short time of 24/7 carry, my rig is showing sighs of wear; fraying and stretching of the waist band.

Second, regardless of what this article says about your hands and arms being in FRONT of you and being most natural, I find it slower to access the gun. Now I'm following the online displayed technique; left hand thumb in waistband pulling out, right/strong hand reaching in and drawing, both hands meeting on the way to the target for support, and finally firing, once the sight picture is achieved.

In order to keep my jeans on, my belt has to be reasonably snug, so the first step in pulling out on the belt causes delay, although this could be equated to the strong hand going to the hip in a typical OWB draw. And to follow, your strong hand still has to "seek" the gun butt. I don't find this a "natural" act at all. Next - and most crucial - is that the hammer of my SP101 sometimes gets hung up on the pull out. Not often, as I do practice a lot. But maybe 1/10 times. That's enough to be of a concern to me, although I'm learning to "live with it". (That may be an oxymoron!) This is where a lot of the fraying I'm experiencing is coming from; the hammer pulling on the material of the rig at the sewn point, as I pull the gun from the fabric holster.

Finally, when in the sitting position - chair or car. Very tough to get quick access to your weapon. I don't care what the claims are. It's a fact. I've tried and tried and like I said, I practice A LOT. Not easy to do...trust me.

Although I'm sounding very negative in all this, all in all, I find the rig extremely comfortable to wear. And with practice, you can become fairly proficient with it. Not sure if the material it's made out of will last the year though; which is a valid disappointment.

So, as with everything, it's all about compromise, in one form or another. I do agree with a lot being said in this article. But I'm here to tell you - take it with a grain of salt, along with a lot of stuff you read about on the internet. JMO!

·
Banned
723 Posts
I've used in front of the hip carry in the past, but being a "traditionalist" I favor behind the hip.

At one time I carried my BUG that way in "Appendix Carry" with the Primary being behind my strongside hip. Hint, "Appendix" is weakside for me. I found it to work well for smaller guns, but not my "Duty Size" guns. Also, it made me look pregnant if I tried to carry my Glock 19 that way, and I'm not even a female of the species! :)

With that said, I did notice that you're having trouble with your Revolver on the draw due to the Hammer "snagging". I strongly encourage you to have your Hammer "Bobbed" by a local 'smith. I have this done to all my carry guns and it helps to keep the Hammer from "snagging" on the draw. It also helps to preserve my jacket lining in my suits.

Another advantage to "Bobbing" the Hammer is it helps to eliminate a false accusation that you "Cocked The Hammer" on you gun thereby creating a "Hair Trigger" situation. This may or may not be a concern for you depending upon where you live.

Biker

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another advantage to "Bobbing" the Hammer is it helps to eliminate a false accusation that you "Cocked The Hammer" on you gun thereby creating a "Hair Trigger" situation.
Biker

You know, this bothers me (not you or your statement Biker) but that on top of fighting off the adrenaline, fear, and denial that a bad situation is even happening to you, which is forcing your hand into fighting for you and your families life and you have to worry about accusations that you "Cocked the Hammer"....every time i hear this its more and more ridiculous, and you hear it ALOT.

I dont think there is a law abiding citizen out there who concealed carries that wishes that they get into a life or death situation with some BG. Nobody is asking to be put in that situation, your hand is always FORCED into that.

There is enough stress in that situation and now we have to worry about whether or not you "cocked the hammer" or somebody "thinks" you did.

More than likely there won't be anytime to do any hammer cocking, but GD*mmit you come at me or my family with intent to cause serious injury or death...i am taking you DOWN with extreme prejudice, everything i got until you either retreat or expire.

If i'm cocking the hammer, i'm being generous to the BG, if he didn't understand that I meant buisness when i pulled out my firearm and aimed it at his face, he better understand that cocking the hammer was the 2nd and final warning and that I was showing the utmost generosity...it would be much easier for me to pull the trigger, than to pull the hammer back at that point.

Sorry for the Hijack....i just had to RANT....it annoys me. You jump through hoops, prove to everyone you a law abiding citizen, your record proves it, your fingerprints are taken, you go through training etc, they hand you your CCW and to me its sounds like they are saying

"here you may carry a gun to protect yourself, but you better not protect yourself"

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm thinking of buying an island and starting my own country. No lawyers or democrats allowed!!

Ed

·
Registered
94 Posts
CCW Carry

I don't know what center line carry is but I have had a CCW permit for over 20 years.Now my primary carry weapon is a S&W Model 669 and the holster is a Bianchi crossdraw.I'm right handed and the gun is just foward of my left hip.Sitting,standing,in the car I can always be ready for the draw.With the strong side carry you always have the gun draw hunch when you go for your weapon which everyone knows what your doing.The cross draw is more discreet,I can have my hand on my weapon and it looks like I'm picking lint out of my belly button.Now the 669 is a midsized weapon but it carries well and hides real good under a T-shirt.The holster goes on the belt outside the pants.Hope this helps.
:cool:

·
Registered
536 Posts
That cross draw sounds pretty neat. Do you remember the model of Bianchi that you use?

REgarding the SP-101 and the main point of this thread: you could also send the 101 back to Ruger and have them change out the hammer to a spurless (is it also DAO?). That will totally eliminate any hang-ups...and the lawyerese problems. Sorry couldn't resist. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
If someone sees or thinks they see me cock the hammer on my speed six it is because I have had a malfunction and the cylinder wont rotate freely!

·
Registered
81 Posts
C/L Carry

I know that this might open up a big can of worms but I've got a Glock-30 and a Glock -26 that I ues for concealed carry. I'm a little on the slim side so trying to conceal either of these was a problem. After I installed Crimson Trace laser grips on both of these I found that I could just shove either one inside of my pants midline to appendix and the laser protrudes just far enough on the right side to prevent the Glocks from disappearing down into my underwear and just wearig a t shirt will hide the profile even when riding on my motorcycle. The guns ride fine and are accessable even when sitting in a car wearing a seatbelt and there is no added bulk from even my thinnest IWB holster. And no I don't put my finger inside the trigger guard till the weapon's clear of my pants and the muzzle's pointed at what I'm going to shoot at. Not the safest way to carry I know and I only carry the Glocks this way. I bought one of those "Smart Carry" holsters and tyring to draw from a sitting position is slow and next to impossible if you've got a seatbelt on and trying to wear it riding a bike falls under the heading of more than uncomfortable. Holeshot 308 :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I was younger, and much thinner, I carried strong side appendix exclusively. It allowed good access while seated, was very defensible, allowed for a nice low profile presentation (If necessary) and was fairly comfortable. It also allowed great forward flexibility. The best benefit though was that you didn't "print" when you bent forward. Since no one really ever has any good reason to bend way backwards this turned out to be the perfect carry position, for me at least.

Direct front line carry, though, would seem to really cut down on forward flexibility and would probably be harder to conceal as the handgun would be at the apex of whatever sized belly you have vs. being tucked into the hollow between the side of your belly and the hip bone.

Either way, I'm out due to middle aged suburban sprawl.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts