Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
J&G's latest flyer has a bunch of these semi-autos in excellent condition for $530. Anybody know anything about them? I called a fellow I know over there and he said they are in really nice condition, but didn't know much about the gun itself. Any and all info appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,417 Posts
I guess times have passed me by ... I used to sell these things for $250 and still make $50. The US made Cetme is a decent gun, functions OK, and is reasonably accurate. I don't know any negatives except they sure went up in price.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
J&G's latest flyer has a bunch of these semi-autos in excellent condition for $530. Anybody know anything about them? I called a fellow I know over there and he said they are in really nice condition, but didn't know much about the gun itself. Any and all info appreciated.
We used the CETME's in the South African Air Force for about 10 years late 70's to late 80's when we replaced with the South African Lyttleton engineering made R5 (copy of the mini Galil) in 5,56mm. Although these were refurbished guns previously used by SWAPO, FAPLA and the Cubans in SWA and Angola, they served us well and we found them reasonably accurate and reliable. Not up to FN FAL standards, but a nice rifle anyway.

Personally I prefer the M1 Garand as a fun shooter in .30 cal. semi-auto. It is way above the rest in accuracy when properly accurised and definitely in reliability.

As far as bolt actions are concerned, the 7,92 x 57 Mauser '98 rifle (not the K98 but the long Infantry rifle), and the long magazine Lee Enfield in .303 British are still tops for accuracy and reliability under ALL conditions.

For Target shooting the Musgrave REPSA action in .308 Win and for hunting rifle accuracy the Musgrave "Free State" field model are my preferences. Maybe because they are South African made, but I still shoot less tha 1" groupings with my hunting rifle at 200 yards, and the stock and barrel have never been parted since I bought it in '75.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts