Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This firearm will be used for Cowboy Mounted Shooting Assoc. Smaller girl will be using & it seems the Bisley hammer & maybe lightening the spring tension might help. Does any member know of a gunsmith in Fort Collins Colorado that can do this or can the gun be sent to Ruger to accomplish this?

·
Registered
213 Posts
As far as I know Ruger will not do it because the gun did not come from the factory that way. A Bisley Hammer can be fitted but it would need to be ground or modified. A gunsmith of moderate skill can do this or even the average home tinkerer, there's others that have done this that can explain it better like Iowegan. One other option that require minimal tool work is fitting it with a Super Blackhawk Hammer. One can usually be found at Brownells or MidwayUSA, has a wider lower profile, and generally is a drop in fit. I've done it to all of my regular NM Blackhawks and one old Vaquero. Occasionally some minor grinding or swapping the transfer bar is required but there are many tutorials explaining how. As for a Fort Collins gunsmith that's a bit outside my expertise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know Ruger will not do it because the gun did not come from the factory that way. A Bisley Hammer can be fitted but it would need to be ground or modified. A gunsmith of moderate skill can do this or even the average home tinkerer, there's others that have done this that can explain it better like Iowegan. One other option that require minimal tool work is fitting it with a Super Blackhawk Hammer. One can usually be found at Brownells or MidwayUSA, has a wider lower profile, and generally is a drop in fit. I've done it to all of my regular NM Blackhawks and one old Vaquero. Occasionally some minor grinding or swapping the transfer bar is required but there are many tutorials explaining how. As for a Fort Collins gunsmith that's a bit outside my expertise.
Thanks much for the info. Appreciate your time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
OP, check on SASS.NET
Many of the members are involved with hammer swaps.
This is where you will find recommendations for good cowboy gunsmiths.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Liv This is my birds head Vaquero that I converted to a Bisley hammer. There is two ways to do it. One is re-profile the Bisley hammer to the same profile as the original Vaquero hammer or lengthen the frame hammer slot to accept the Bisley hammer that has a larger round hump at the rear below the hammer spur. I chose to re-profile the Bisley hammer in the event I wished later to change back to the original hammer and not have a opening in the frame that would allow debris into the inner hammer works.
I am a knife maker and I have the grinding tools that allowed me to configure the Bisley hammer and install it into the gun. Worked great and no problems on numerous test firings.
000_0615.JPG

·
Registered
275 Posts
@Liv - it’s been described above, but Bisley hammers must be modified to fit into plowshare or birds head grip frames. Personally, I don’t prefer to modify the grip frame ($100-150 part) as the result in doing so is an odd aesthetic where the hammer rump extends outside of the radius of the grip frame ears. It just looks sloppy and silly.

The only complication converting the Bisley hammer for non-bisley grip frames is knowing whether you own a pre-1998 or post-1998 Ruger single action revolver, as the radius the grip frame “ears” changed during this time - but Ruger did not update the hammer radius along with it, leaving an unsightly gap.

I make drop in Bisley hammers for plowshare grips from factory hammers.

Pictured here are a series of Ruger SA hammers, labeled accordingly. Second from right and fourth from right are hammers I have modified to drop into their respective era of BH. Looking closely, you can see the difference in diameter of the “rump” of the hammers respective to their era. New Vaqs and post-98 BH’s and SBH’s have larger radius grip frames, such the hammers I make are sized to produce a clean, flush fit, rather than leaving the shallow gap present in the factory condition, in line with the original BH aesthetic, and the current Montado and New Vaquero design.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Liv - it’s been described above, but Bisley hammers must be modified to fit into plowshare or birds head grip frames. Personally, I don’t prefer to modify the grip frame ($100-150 part) as the result in doing so is an odd aesthetic where the hammer rump extends outside of the radius of the grip frame ears. It just looks sloppy and silly.

The only complication converting the Bisley hammer for non-bisley grip frames is knowing whether you own a pre-1998 or post-1998 Ruger single action revolver, as the radius the grip frame “ears” changed during this time - but Ruger did not update the hammer radius along with it, leaving an unsightly gap.

I make drop in Bisley hammers for plowshare grips from factory hammers.

Pictured here are a series of Ruger SA hammers, labeled accordingly. Second from right and fourth from right are hammers I have modified to drop into their respective era of BH. Looking closely, you can see the difference in diameter of the “rump” of the hammers respective to their era. New Vaqs and post-98 BH’s and SBH’s have larger radius grip frames, such the hammers I make are sized to produce a clean, flush fit, rather than leaving the shallow gap present in the factory condition, in line with the original BH aesthetic, and the current Montado and New Vaquero design.

View attachment 150421
Thanks much. This is a new Vaquero purchased 2 months ago. It is the 5.5" barrel. Wanted the 4.6" but nearly impossible to find any cowboy models at all in a bigger calibre..

I would like to install the Bisley hammer. Would you also be able to lighten the spring a bit too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Liv This is my birds head Vaquero that I converted to a Bisley hammer. There is two ways to do it. One is re-profile the Bisley hammer to the same profile as the original Vaquero hammer or lengthen the frame hammer slot to accept the Bisley hammer that has a larger round hump at the rear below the hammer spur. I chose to re-profile the Bisley hammer in the event I wished later to change back to the original hammer and not have a opening in the frame that would allow debris into the inner hammer works.
I am a knife maker and I have the grinding tools that allowed me to configure the Bisley hammer and install it into the gun. Worked great and no problems on numerous test firings. View attachment 150417
Really nice gun. Grips are cool. That looks like what I was really looking for.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Hate to sound like I don't know what I'm doing, but what is a PM? Want to followup w/ you & also like to hear about the knives.
PM is a Private Message (or at least that is what the old forum software called them).

If you click the little version of your avatar image at the top of the page, these are found under the heading "Conversations"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PM is a Private Message (or at least that is what the old forum software called them).

If you click the little version of your avatar image at the top of the page, these are found under the heading "Conversations"
Thanks, I suspected as much. Just didn't where to look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts