Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is well known that the interchangeable grip sleeves on the SR22 are a bugger to pull off. I experienced it firsthand this afternoon helping a friend with his newly-purchased SR22. The standard grip sleeve would NOT come off the frame.

I flexed the fat grip sleeve a bit while my friend grunted and strained trying to pull of the standard grip sleeve, and it gave me an idea. I asked his wife for her hair dryer. We heated the standard sleeve evenly on both sides until it was warm to the point that I was just able to keep my hand on the grip sleeve (~120F to ~125F) and I tugged on the sleeve and it popped right off.

When my friend decided the fat sleeve was too fat, we used the hair dryer again and the fat sleeve popped right off. Just to do the "other half of the experiment" we heated the standard sleeve a second time and pulled it right off the frame.

Hope this helps other SR22 owners, and I apologize if it's been mentioned before.

Noah

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
A lot of people seem to have trouble changing the grips. I never had that problem, the first time was a little work but not as hard as people describe. If you place your thumb at the top back of the grip and your finger at the front below the trigger guard and squeeze in while pulling down they slide off fairly easily. There are two pins at the top of the polymer handle and two detents at the botom which lock into the rubber grip. If you grip and squeeze the entire grip it pushes them in tight.
And thank you for your service.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I didn't have a problem with mine but thanks for the tip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts