Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking the other day of how my tastes and so called "needs" or requirements have changed throughout my years of carry. From thinking I need the smallest to the biggest, most capacity to I don't care, different types of actions, semi autos to revolvers. It seems I've flip flopped on tastes a lot.

I bought another pistol to fit the CCW role a few weeks/month or so ago and I can say without a doubt, it's my favorite carry pistol to date. The Kahr CW9. IMO, it's the absolute perfect size for daily carry. Some people won't like it due to capacity, hey....I get that, but for me, it's easily my favorite CCW I've ever owned.

What's your favorite carry pistol and how much have your tastes changed throughout the years?

(Stolen photo from the net. Realized I didn't have one to share)

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I've found that over the years I leaned toward smaller, more basic in everything. Simple small xB car. I went from a wall full of stereo gear to an "executive" style that sits on a desk. Simpler watch, clothes, no more paid TV. Guns, I went Single-Six to Bearcat. Full size revolver to compact auto. My carry was an SP101, now it's a mouse gun. Nice to just tote 16 oz, loaded.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've found that over the years I leaned toward smaller, more basic in everything. Simple small xB car. I went from a wall full of stereo gear to an "executive" style that sits on a desk. Simpler watch, clothes, no more paid TV. Guns, I went Single-Six to Bearcat. Full size revolver to compact auto. My carry was an SP101, now it's a mouse gun. Nice to just tote 16 oz, loaded.
I can totally understand that and I agree.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When I started to carry, I was younger and it was going to be a compact 1911 because I maintained 1911s in the ship’s armory during my Navy stint. Then, went to a Glock 27 because it was lighter and had more capacity. Now, I’m older, retired, and mainly pocket carry a Smith 442 or my new LCP Max. If I’m headed to the big city I might carry a micro 9.
Lighter works better for me now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What I carry depends on what I will be wearing and where I will be going. A tee-shirt and jeans require a very low profile firearm. I can conceal my 1911 fairly easily if I feel I might need a 45 ACP. However, if I feel a big bore or 9mm probably won't be needed, I'll carry my Bernardelli 32 ACP. In colder weather, where sweatshirts and jackets are in order, I usually carry my 9mm CZ-75. The sixteen shots instantly available affords quite a bit of piece of mind.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I started out thinking I needed the best sub-compact doublestack available (Walther P99C, of course).

As time went by I realized that was a little big and I got older I started going to less exciting places.

I learned that pocket carry was an amazing way to get it done. At that point I switched to carrying a small 2.7" 380ACP and on occasion a S&W642LS airweight 38.

These days I've downsized even further. I carry a Kel-Tec 32ACP probably 90-95% of the time.

I just don't feel like I need a gun. Part of that is where I live and work. I feel significantly less safe in the city and often upsize to my P365 which was recently upgraded...

·
Super Moderator
6,423 Posts
I have a bunch of guns that have filled that role, and many still do take a lap or two around town with me every once in a while. When I turned 21 and got my CPL, I picked up a Glock 30. Seemed perfect, and in a lot of ways it is. Funny thing, I still shoot that old Glock very well. Then I wanted to go a bit simpler, so I picked up a Ruger LCR. Like it, still have it, just never really warmed up to it. Then I got a S&W M&P bodyguard .380. It was ok, but I don’t like pocket carry. I have enough junk in my pockets before I throw a gun in them. Also, not a huge .380 guy. Was shooting it the other day, but my wife has pretty much taken over that gun. There was a stint where I got a holster to try to carry my Glock 19. Just wasn’t comfortable and felt like it was too big everywhere to not print. Now, for the last 2 or 3 years, I have been very happy carrying a Dan Wesson Valkyrie, a CCO (commander slide on an officer frame). It’s in .45, and with the flat shape of the 1911, I find it very easy to conceal at about the 4 o’clock position IWB. I have a couple belts and holsters depending on what I am wearing, but I wear it every day to work where it is concealed with dress pants and a tucked in dress shirt, to going to the shoe store to get shoes for my boys and the greenhouse last weekend in shorts and a tee shirt. If I change from this, the Wilson Combat SFX9 with a 4” barrel is intriguing to me. Double stack 9mm but with the same thickness as a single stack .45 1911.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I carried a single stack 9mm S&W 3913 for many years. Along the way I added an ultralight Jframe. I bought larger guns for range use and hunting, but stuck with my Smiths for carry.

A friend I used to shoot in a league with convinced me I should try his Glock G19. I really liked it and bought the next size smaller G26.

To this day I use all 3. The 3913 lives in my computer bag for use during work hours. The Glock is my constant companion. The Jframe is my summer ultralight carry.

All the rest are range toys or for hunting and they are full size pieces.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
For me, not for others, cause I only barely know my own self.... from the time I was small "a handgun's job should be limited to getting you to a rifle in a pressure situation"
Now, I never strictly adheared to this, I enjoy pistols. But the phrase has always been in my head. Along with "only idiots run toward gun fire" but that's another topic.....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
9 years ago I got my license to carry and started with an XDm 3.8 Compact in 45 ACP. That lasted less than a year. Once I got my Shield 9mm, I realized just how bulky and heavy the XDm was. Every once in a while I might carry a S&W 2.0 Compact, but the Shield is still my main carry piece. Upgraded to 9 +1 with a Magguts kit, that is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
IMO high capacity is overrated, unless of course you're the LAPD who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn regardless. I either carry my Micro 9, or Kahr CM40 along with a 380 backup and never feel as if I'd need more rounds to stop a threat.

I prefer to carry my CM40 over the Kimber and believe it or not the 40 is actually easier to shoot more accurately than the 9.

Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I started carrying in 2009 with an LCP. About 2012 I got an LCR and carried that primarily until last summer in 2021 when I picked up a Max to increase my capacity by 160%!

Preferring pocket pistols not much has changed though I have had stints of carrying full size 9mms in shoulder holsters, 44 Specials, compact 9mms OWB but I always come back to pocket carry. I prioritize comfort and concealability for my carry needs, hence pocket carry.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've carried Kahrs for years. 5-6 lb trigger pull that is so sweet and smooth, long if you're a plastic glock fan. If 8 won't get the job done you should be hightailing it. I carried J frames for decades. Still do in low level threat situations but love the Kahrs I have three, K9, MK9, PM9. I see them as an alternative to a J frame-SP carry. Better trigger, better sights, flatter easier to conceal and with some models lighter, plus 3 more rounds, and a faster reload. A pic of my K9 and a target it shot:
Handwriting Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've carried Kahrs for years. 5-6 lb trigger pull that is so sweet and smooth, long if you're a plastic glock fan. If 8 won't get the job done you should be hightailing it. I carried J frames for decades. Still do in low level threat situations but love the Kahrs I have three, K9, MK9, PM9. I see them as an alternative to a J frame-SP carry. Better trigger, better sights, flatter easier to conceal and with some models lighter, plus 3 more rounds, and a faster reload. A pic of my K9 and a target it shot: View attachment 175087
I always wanted a steel framed Kahr. After getting my CW9 and realizing what a perfect size it was, I started looking to see if I could find a good deal on a K9. I ended up finding an early "slabside" like yours. (excluding the finish) It's a really nice piece, just like I thought it would be. I'm definitely a Kahr fan.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Back in the day I carried a 3" S&W M-13 .357 magnum and I still like it as an OWB trail or bank fishing gun but for the last 7 or 8 years, for EDC, I have gone to a S&W 642 Airweight .38 snubbie. The little snub is half the weight and so much easier to haul around all day. And with the improvements in .38 self-defense ammo, I feel pretty comfortable with it.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have had the CW9 for several years- and it is still in service...a nice easy carry. Also have the CT 380 for pocket.
I have been all over the board with carry guns - from BIG to small.
Currently my #1 and #2 carry are the Sig 365- with 380 or 9mm depending on destination.
I'm with you.... I've been all over the board myself. The CW9 is my go to now, but my #2 is one I've carried for a while and still like. It's my first gen M&P 40c. I also have a CM9 that I will IWB carry from time to time, but will see a lot less time out now that the CW is on the scene. I want to keep it for the ankle duty role though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts