Ruger Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've found that over the years I leaned toward smaller, more basic in everything. Simple small xB car. I went from a wall full of stereo gear to an "executive" style that sits on a desk. Simpler watch, clothes, no more paid TV. Guns, I went Single-Six to Bearcat. Full size revolver to compact auto. My carry was an SP101, now it's a mouse gun. Nice to just tote 16 oz, loaded.
.380 Ruger LCP II. No bigger than a cellphone. Only 11 ounces loaded with 6 round magazine & 1 in the chamber. Low recoil with proper grip. Accurate to 10-15 yards for self-defense with a few hours training. Under $300. Don't leave home without it.

If buying another, I would move up to the .380 Ruger LCP Max for the better sights and more capacity without increasing size and only increasing loaded weight by an ounce.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I change quite a bit depending on mood, temperature, conditions, what im wearing, etc. Anything from a Raven 25acp, beretta32 acp, beretta 85 380acp, a glock 43 9mm or a Ruger P95 9mm. Yes, I know, the 25 and 32 acp won't stop a meth high hulk type individual with 1 shot. I hear that a lot. Yet both have proven reliable and easy to carry, and I have yet to know a single person that is willing to get shot by one to prove their point. Thats ok, I promise to keep shooting until the bad guy stops coming at me. Currently, I'm sporting a CZ 75 SP01 Omega.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Thaks for supporting .32 ACP, at least a little!
The bigger is better club has infected the shooting community with macho opinion. My only centerfire is .32 now. I did a lot of ballistic research to get to this point. Logic and intelligence show that .32 is not as bad as most think. In some ways it's actually better.

Reactions: livom and 50 State

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't normally carry but like to have something when I'm hiking and fell in love with the 10mm so a G29 packs small but not as light as I would like it to be especially with a couple extra 15 round magazines along.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Thaks for supporting .32 ACP, at least a little!
The bigger is better club has infected the shooting community with macho opinion. My only centerfire is .32 now. I did a lot of ballistic research to get to this point. Logic and intelligence show that .32 is not as bad as most think. In some ways it's actually better.
I have never understood folks who insist on the "FBI statistical analysis says...." as the end all definitive answer to all things ballistic. Most of all in the area of things like, the bullet must be capable of "penetrating at least 12 inches of ballistic gel through so many inches of denim at so many feet ". Now before all of you start throwing lead at me, hear me out. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs, so about average height and weight. Measuring myself, I'm about 11 inches front torso to back. A 25 acp or 32 acp only needs to penetrate 2.5 to 3 inches into my chest to rupture the heart. Neck, half an inch. Head, an inch. Anything else is overkill. Both will penetrate any bone in my body at a range of 12 feet, so bone is not an issue. And no one I know wears 9 inches of clothing, so 3 inches of penetration is plenty. Yes, 380acp to 45acp will have more stopping power, will make a bigger hole, etc. But most shootings in the US today are at very close range, where a smaller caliber is more than sufficient, and less likely to hit innocent bystanders. No, neither the 25 or 32 acp will disable a car engine, blow out a tire, penetrate a tactical vest plate, etc., but how often is anybody in that situation? And as stated before, the pumped up on meth body builder who has the strength of a gorilla; yes, we have all heard of someone who knows someone who heard someone else say it took 3 shoots from a 10 mm or 45acp to take this guy down. But seriously, how often has that really happened out of every 100 hundred shootings? And finally, to those who say I only need to shoot once with a 9mm or 45 acp, I say maybe. But the same statistics say you need to penetrate 12 inches, also say you will shoot at least 3 shots, rendering that argument mute. And with a 25 acp or 32 acp, I will likely do like most of you and keep firing until the threat retreats or falls. A 25 or 32 acp is way better than a sharp stick. Browning said such calibers will only make someone mad, but he was trying to sell bigger calibers when he said that. I say the 25 and 32 acp are more than capable at close range, which is what they were designed for. Ok, that's my take, let me have it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Back in the day I carried a 3" S&W M-13 .357 magnum and I still like it as an OWB trail or bank fishing gun but for the last 7 or 8 years, for EDC, I have gone to a S&W 642 Airweight .38 snubbie. The little snub is half the weight and so much easier to haul around all day. And with the improvements in .38 self-defense ammo, I feel pretty comfortable with it.
I have something like it, a bit more modern and forgiving on my old hands. The grips on the airweight require a lot of practice to master.

The 38 Special was the go to for generations of police officers.

To me what matters most is - what do you trust and how often do you practice?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Used to be a full size 1911. Still like them and carry them every so often. There's something about the looks of them. Also, a Army B Team member said that they made very good interrogation tools as when one being interrogated looked into a business end of a 1911, it looked like that big bullet just wanted to jump out and getcha!

Lately I've looked into the Ruger 57 as an EDC candidate....

Reactions: Nam Vet

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have something like it, a bit more modern and forgiving on my old hands. The grips on the airweight require a lot of practice to master.
The 38 Special was the go to for generations of police officers.
To me what matters most is - what do you trust and how often do you practice?
The .38 special is one of my favorites to reload and I have enough primers, powders, bullets and brass to last me a long time. So, I can get in lots of range time with my snubbies and shoot my .357s without beating them up (or my hands).

I've upgraded the grips on both of my .38 snubs with VZ 320 G-10s ... they're not bulky and are much more comfortable than the stock grips. The stock grips would only be useful on a deep conceal back-up gun ... one you don't plan on shooting much.

I like the Airweight J-frames as they are so easy to carry on your belt or in your pocket ... plus, no mags, no jams, no safety, no ammo issues as they shoot damn near anything. Whether it's a light load or a heavy load has no impact on how the gun runs ... I like that.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Kitchen utensil

41 - 51 of 51 Posts