Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've been playing around with for a little while and I would like you folks to read the first chapter and tell me what you think.
Brian

Chapter 1

The shot rang out on a bitterly cold morning. The kind of morning that most sane people would stay in bed and snuggle deeper under their covers. At ten degrees below zero, there were not many people out in the woods that late November morning, which suited David just fine. His breathing and heartbeat had returned to normal after his slight case of Buck Fever that he always got even though he had been deer hunting since his Grandpa started taking him Thirty years ago. After making sure his rifle was unloaded, he gently lowered it down to rest on the cushion of yellow and crimson Maple leaves beneath the tree he was perched in. Climbing down himself, he put on his rucksack and picked up his rifle with a small smile that made the ice that had accumulated in his mustache and beard crackle.
The rifle had been his Father's rifle who in turn got it from his Father and Grandfather before him. A Winchester model 70, chambered in the legendary .270 Winchester, it was a rifleman's rifle, one that could be passed down through the years from generation to generation , as this one had. David remembered the first time he'd seen the rifle. It was Christmas when he was Five years old, all the presents had been opened and his Grandpa had asked his Daddy to come to the basement for a few minutes. David had followed them downstairs to a room that he had seen open only a few times, as it was his Grandpa's office and gunroom. It was always kept locked and as Grandpa put it " away from curious little eyes and sticky, sucker coated fingers". The walls behind the plain steel door were lined with pegboard and gun racks and had a workbench along two walls that was full of books, several handguns that were in various stages of refurbishment and reloading equipment, because Grandpa liked to "Roll his own ammo". Against the back wall was a rolltop desk that bordered on mammonth proportions, an ancient secretary cabinet, and a tall stand up gun safe.
This last item held David's attention because it had been opened and a rifle was being handed from his Grandpa to his Daddy. " It's time you had this in your house Brandon" Grandpa said. "You know the story behind it, your Grandpa bought this in Alaska while he was working up there, saving money so he and your Grandma could get Married. The only thing I ask, is that you never sell it, and pass it on to David when the right time comes".
"You won't have to worry about that Dad" David's Father, Brandon said.
" The only person it will go to is David. I know He and I will treat it the same way you and I have".

This is the first part of chapter 1, so far I have about 50 pages written

Well Guys, tell me what you think.
Brian

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
One of my unrealized ambitions in life was to become a writer. I think your story shows a lot a promise. I would sure like to read more of it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Write on, Baby!!!! I really enjoy Chapter 1...good description and enough detail to let us look over your shoulder and be there with you-and enough nostalgia to take us back---keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Brian, they say writing is a great channel for thoughts and energy. I encourage you to go forward with your project. A copyreader will make many changes, but the content is what counts, and I like yours. You have my interest peeked, need to read more!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Balance of Chapter 1

...." The only thing" Brandon continued "is I hope that I have as much time to spend hunting with David as you did with me."
"Well", his Grandpa said, "I know how it is raising a family, work is important and there is never enough time or money. I tell you what,now that I'm retired and I have some extra time on my hands, how's about you let me borrow my Grandson and him and I do a little hunting."
" Just as long as I can come with you guys from time to time too" Brandon said.
" It's a deal. C'mere David" his Grandpa said, motioning him over to sit in a wooden chair beside the desk. " How about you and me going hunting next year?" Wide eyed, David stared at his Grandpa and said" Really? , I'm old enough to go with you and Dad?"
" Absolutely" Grandpa replied. " If you're old enough to ask , then you're old enough to do it." Pulling up another chair, he continued "While we're at it, we might as well tie on our vagabond shoes and see what's over the next hill."
David, with a look of confusion, glancing between hid Dad and Grandpa finally said " I don't understand, there's just more hills."
David's Father smiled and chuckled " The older you get, the more you'll understand, it's in your blood".
Before David could ask anymore questions, his Grandpa opened up a drawer in the desk and pulled out a piece of butterscotch candy, slowly unrolled it and gave it to David, saying " Did I ever tell you about when I used to hunt with your Grandma's Daddy? It was in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan right in the middle of the Seney Swamp on some land that was known as 'The Old Bullock Ranch' ".....

Ever since that day, he has always been one that has wanted to "see what was over that next hill". The older he became, the more he understood what his Dad and Grandpa meant. It came to him as natural as the blood flowing through his veins. This is what brought his ancestors to America from Wales. Throughout the years, family members have always been the travelling sort. From soldiers to Sailors, Farmers and Merchants, to Riverboat Gamblers ( that's a whole story of it's own there ). There has been an almost uncontrollable urge to see new territory.

With that background, it's easy to see why he was so eager to go at the chance to take a hunting trip to Michigan's Upper Penninsula to test his wits against the White Tailed Deer in the Seney Swamp thirty years later.

Okay Guys , that's the end of Chapter 1
Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good Story I have the same fondness for a Pre 64 Model 70 308 featherweight that my long time mentor and hunting buddy left me when he died. There is not enough money to buy it and it will be handed down to my grandson when the time is right as he was named after my Mentor, friend, and 2nd father. The old winchester will still shoot spider eyes.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
More, more, more,
Brian I truly enjoyed what you've written so far, and I know I am one of those with a wanderlust, so I can relate. May God bless you with a divine rush of inspiration as you set pen to paper, or today fingers to keyboard, and a whirlwind of ideas be at the ready as you complete this good work.
peace

·
Registered
714 Posts
I must add my 'atta boy' to those already rendered. Please continue!!!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts