Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How "practical" or difficult is it to shoot a Charger as a pistol w/o "legs" on it? What does it weigh w/o legs?

It seems to me that most time shooting would be with legs deployed?

Unless it is "normal" to shoot as a pistol w/o support I should probably look first to a 10/22 for a target .22?

BTW..Gander Mountain near me has three in stock...$399. I may look for a better deal...maybe slightly used...perhaps after world has figured out they are not among the "threatened" firearms :)

My thought is to have some of the aftermarket improvements w/scope to get to a point that the gun is at it "best"...and enjoy plinking on the range and in the field...Thanks...Tom R

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I sometimes shoot my Charger, offhand, yes, using a similar stance and hold as when I sometimes shoot one of my big, heavy Contender pistols offhand. It can be done, but it bears little resemblance to conventional pistol shooting form. The Charger, like a big, heavy, long barreled Contender, is really a specialty pistol and at its best from a bench or shooting with the bipod. If you want a gun to teach yourself the basics of pistol shooting, get a MKIII/22/45 and don't look back. If you want to learn to shoot a rifle, offhand, get a rifle. Most folks, myself included, buy a Charger for fun, not as a trainer.

Out of the box, though, the Charger will keep right up with any 10/22, with the possible exception of the target model. When equipped with a custom barrel, the Charger is a match for a custom equipped 10/22. My customized Charger will shoot under 1/2" at 50 yards.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I like shooting my Charger offhand with a cutdown rifle stock to make it a legal pistol. With a scope on it it is just as accurate as a 10/22 rifle and because its a pistol it can be carried loaded in a truck. Its great for gopher hunting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sometimes shoot my Charger, offhand, yes, using a similar stance and hold as when I sometimes shoot one of my big, heavy Contender pistols offhand. It can be done, but it bears little resemblance to conventional pistol shooting form. The Charger, like a big, heavy, long barreled Contender, is really a specialty pistol and at its best from a bench or shooting with the bipod. If you want a gun to teach yourself the basics of pistol shooting, get a MKIII/22/45 and don't look back. If you want to learn to shoot a rifle, offhand, get a rifle. Most folks, myself included, buy a Charger for fun, not as a trainer.

Out of the box, though, the Charger will keep right up with any 10/22, with the possible exception of the target model. When equipped with a custom barrel, the Charger is a match for a custom equipped 10/22. My customized Charger will shoot under 1/2" at 50 yards.
Currently have a Ruger Single Six Stainless .22 & .22 Magnum, a CK .32acp German war pistol semi-auto...also .22 Noble pump, .410 single shot, 20 gauge Youth, .22 single shot youth, 12 gauge Sears pump, 30-06 Bolt action, Winchester Model 100 .308...these are guns partly inherited from my father and partly added during my lifetime.

Currently working on getting back to shooting...mostly range shooting as well as target shooting with grandkids on 40 acres up North in MN near our cabin. I plan on constructing a bit of a "range" with distances measured and a very safe shooting "backstop". Not sure what else will evolve...maybe even get back into hunting a bit.

My current "plan" has been narrowed a bit as I review web site/gun stores and different brand forums. My "order" of potential purchase appears as follows...

1) Ruger MKIII or 22/45...still want to shoot a 22/45 to compare grip. Want minimum 5.5" barrel and prefer "optic" sights...and changeable grips.

2) Baretta 9mm...most likely the M9 or A1 M9 which are the two Marine versions of the 92FS and the 92A1. My 40+YO son was a Major in the Marines and I figure since I want a 9mm I might just as well get the gun he trained with and used in the Marines...plus I do think the Baretta's various 92xx series are considered to be very good 9mms.

3) 1911 .45...appears you are not a real "man" until you own a 1911 :) Got my eye on a new Colt just being put into production...again...in July 2012 the Marines ordered their first Colt 1911s since I think the 1940s...and in December they announced they would be selling the same model produced only in their "custom" gun shop...with some nice extra touches and of course a higher price :) Not sure when/how I will find one yet.

My shooting will be primarily at ranges as I refine my groupings...been three times and doing a bit better. Mostly .22 as the .32 CK 27 is a pretty rough model AND the shells are more expensive. I am taking CCW class this Saturday but not sure if I will ever actually "carry" but thought it might be a wise step?

The above all leads to the cabin and 40 acres and the 5 grandkids...ages 10-18...thus a very nice to shoot Ruger MKIII or 22/45, probably a 10/22 with a scope (maybe later). With my Marine son as the "Range Officer" I think we can get them interested, trained and involved in shooting...under TIGHT supervision...if fact the more difficult part will be trusting them to go out a bit on their own...particularly good numbers of red squirrels and some rabbits in our woods as a challenge. The 9mm and .45 will be reserved for my son and I and potentially a bit for the grandkids as they get older (like the 18yo).

Back to the Charger...I think it fits the above plan better to go with a 10/22 and begin upgrades to the extent that I enjoy the process...maybe add a scope (never owned or used one)...maybe watch for a slightly used Charger for my own "fun"...also need to pay less than $400 to justify the aftermarket "toys" :)

Comments Welcomed...Thanks for all your help...Tom R

BTW...North country gal...you my neighbor over in Superior/Ashland area?...my wife and I are between Duluth and Two Harbors but love NW Wisc...particularly nice motorcycle roads between Superior and Bayfield...TMR

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Hi Tom

We're a bit east of that, over a bit north of Rhinelander, but my mother was from northern Minnesota, so I know the state, well. Spent a lot of time in the Duluth/Superior country and over to Hayward, too.

As much as I love my Charger, shooting it doesn't carry over much to more conventional firearms, so, I agree, get one for yourself and have fun, but a 10/22 is a much better choice for the kids. Also, for starting the kids, a red dot is much easier to use than a scope and still more effective than iron sights.

Can't go wrong with an MKIII or 22/45. Again, a red dot is ideal on a pistol. Exponentially harder to steady a scope with magnification on a pistol. That takes quite a bit of experience to handle, effectively.

I have a CCW license, when I go walking in the woods to legally carry a gun under my coat. Crime is almost non-existant around here. Bears and other four-legged critters, though, can be a danger to both me and my dogs at certain times of the year, so I do carry a GP-100, at times. Yes, I would get a CCW. Who knows what the future will bring and what you learn will never be wasted.

Would be darn hard to beat an SR1991 for value for your 1911 dollar. By all means, get that custom Colt if you can swing it, but it would still be good to have that SR as a general purpose 1911.

I'll leave the 9mm stuff to folks that shoot nines. It's one of the few I don't shoot, though.

Let us know how things progress for you.

·
Banned
402 Posts
This, it's not a pistol.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
.perhaps after world has figured out they are not among the "threatened" firearms
I hate to be the guy saying that the sky is falling, but realize this, the current executive bans were conducted by our trusty President signing "executive orders" and NOT the normal legislative process. That in itself is very scary. There is basically no end to what that man may or may not do. He if he feels warm and fuzzy may very well use his executive orders to the nth degree banning who knows what. And hopefully you are not too young to remember just who has been whispering in his ear. Joe Biden was and has been the number one anti-gun Senator pushing his lets get all the guns agenda right up until he was named running mate of Obama. Now instead of a bad senate vote he's influencing the most powerful man in the Nation. That's scary!! Remember if they in their mind are going to protect everyone in the nation, just remember what our sixteenth president was assassinated with. a very simple single shot muzzle loader.

A couple of states are currently trying to take Obama's 10 round limitation further to 6 rounds. After all they say "that's all a revolver can hold". Bad decisions during an emotional outcry can't be good for anyone. I'd suggest you get any and all of your gun related desires now instead of a later that may not exist. Smithy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I hate to be the guy saying that the sky is falling, but realize this, the current executive bans were conducted by our trusty President signing "executive orders" and NOT the normal legislative process. That in itself is very scary. There is basically no end to what that man may or may not do. He if he feels warm and fuzzy may very well use his executive orders to the nth degree banning who knows what. And hopefully you are not too young to remember just who has been whispering in his ear. Joe Biden was and has been the number one anti-gun Senator pushing his lets get all the guns agenda right up until he was named running mate of Obama. Now instead of a bad senate vote he's influencing the most powerful man in the Nation. That's scary!! Remember if they in their mind are going to protect everyone in the nation, just remember what our sixteenth president was assassinated with. a very simple single shot muzzle loader.

A couple of states are currently trying to take Obama's 10 round limitation further to 6 rounds. After all they say "that's all a revolver can hold". Bad decisions during an emotional outcry can't be good for anyone. I'd suggest you get any and all of your gun related desires now instead of a later that may not exist. Smithy.
RIGHT ON FAKE MONEY! Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I fire mine with my cheek on stock and use sling for support like a rifle works great.

Exactly...!!!

I bought mine because I had put my 10/22 rifle in a knoxx axiom stock with a red dot..."stumbled" upon that concept when I removed the butt from the stock and decided to try it with the buffer tube extended out behind my shoulder with cheek down on the sloped section of stock behind the receiver with about a 1.5" eye relief from the red dot...

Really liked it a ton...but didn't want to leave the rifle in that stock...so I got a charger...put my rifle back to normal with scope the way I like it...now have the dot on the charger...it is the only way to fly...great for plinking...I love it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts