Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all.

I thought the Charger based on the venerable 10-22 would be a sure bet for reliability. Boy was I wrong. I use Federal bulkpak (from Walmart) in all my 22LR pieces: S&W 41, High Standard Victor, Ciener conversion kit for my Gold Cup 1911 all with ZERO feeding issues. Sure if I am shooting a bullseye match I use CCI standard velocity in my aforementioned 41 for consistency. With Ruger factory mags or Butler Creek 25 Rd. mags or a 50 Rd. "belt mag". Same issue. 5% of the Federal rounds do not have enough energy to eject the spent cartridge, "cock" the hammer and load the next round. VERY FRUSTRATING! Inside reciever was coated with a very rough material black in color that peeled off in massive chunks of goo when i used a Birchwood Casey product "Gun Scrubber" to clean the Charger. Removed all the black coating from the reciever's interior with a wire brush to no avail. Removed a few turns of the recoil spring only to find the bolt would not go fully forward into battery and this resulted in misfires from "light" firing pin hits. Retd the charger to Ruger repair dept. Enclosed detailed letter explaining malfunctions. Ruger promptly returned stating that they had tested with Federal ammo and all problems resolved. Took to range today in great anticipation of a flawlessley functioning Charger. Terribly disappointed original ejection problems still present. Anyone else had this issue? Recommended ammo to resolve this issue with using CCI Stingers? With Stingers Charger functions flawlessly. Stingers too expensive to plink!

Any replies appreciated. Kindest regards.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine was a bit finicky at first. I did the Stinger thing on my own for about 300-400 rounds and it feeds most other ammo fine now.

I'd probably keep the Gunscrubber away from it. It has instantly removed sight paint on a couple of my guns, and the coating on the Charger receiver is an applied finish over aluminum.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had similar problems on my 10-22 with the federal ammo...I guess you get what you pay for....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What ammo do u recommend in the Charger?

Remington had the same issue as Federal. Headed to the range today after through cleaning with simple green. Will purchase CCI Minimag, Winchester bulk and Federal match ammo. Will advise results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remington had the same issue as Federal. Headed to the range today after through cleaning with simple green. Will purchase CCI Minimag, Winchester bulk and Federal match ammo. Will advise results.
Charger likes the Win bulk?? Any results yet... :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
With eleventy bazillion brands of ammo to choose from, you're altering the gun to accommodate just one? I find that none of my 3 10/.22's like any kind of Win ammo, but they thrive on just about anything from CCI, including Blazer. I use a lot of Rem. bulk from Wally World in them. Try different ammo, and stop trying to blame Ruger!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
hamgunner, Ruger 10/22s, Chargers, and MK Series pistols all share the same exact extractor. Sometimes they work perfect will all brands of ammo, sometimes they are selective, and sometimes they don't work well with any ammo. The fix is very simple ... install a Volquartsen "Exact Edge" extractor and your extraction problems will go away.

Once you get 10 posts, you can download the 10/22 IBOK from the Library. It has all the "how to" details.

·
too great for words
661 Posts
when I got my 10/22 new a few years back, I had to break it in with cci ammo and after it got broken in it would eat anything. I've also talked to many many many people who had the same experience.

·
Banned
11 Posts
10/22 ammo

;)Some 10/22's will run any .22LR ammo that they are fed. Others wil work best with only certain brands. My first 10/22 will not run with Fereral bulk, but runs great with Federal Champions or the Auto Match. Try a different brand of ammo and use the one that works best for you and your gun.

Note: The 10/22 is not the only .22 rifle or semi-auto that is sometimes pickey as to the ammo it will shoot well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rimfire ammo is all a little dirty. Try to limit the use of oil and use a dry teflon type lube and see if that helps. All 6 or 7 of my rimfires took several hundred rounds to settle in and loosen up.

Ratt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine was finally reliable after most of the crummy paint came off the inside. Shoots everything reliably but I like to stick with the step up from bulk with Blazer, Wildcats, Federal 510's and Aquilla.

·
Registered
115 Posts
this is good stuff
just thinking of getting a Charger and all I shoot is CCI MiniMag
hope that doesn't hang up in feeding

all the other "22 pistols" that are sort of based on a rifle or assault pistol are too expensive and not as reliable as Ruger - AM I WRONG?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 10/22 with a GM barrel and Volq. extractor cycled bulk Federal fine. I even broke it in with Remington Golden bullets. /shudder

Maybe its a tolerance stacking issue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Charger ammo

Mine will shoot round nose better than the Fed hollow point.

I took a round file to the magazine to shape it more. It runs the Fed hp
but is not reliable.

The round nose hollow point Remington gold shoots flawlessly except for some
duds. Remington seems to have a lot of dud rounds.

Jim Davis

·
Registered
338 Posts
I use the federal bulk ammo in all of my 10-22's and in my Charger. The stuff feeds like a dream! I don't agree that the problem is ammo related unless you have a tight chamber or something unusual on your Charger.

When I get a new 10-22 type firearm, I disassemble, clean and lubricate it before firing a shot. For awhile, Ruger had a crinkle paint INSIDE of the receiver and the best plan was to scrape it off of the inside top of the receiver. That stuff flaked off and really fouled the action. I think that has been corrected now but it might be worth a look.

My take on your problem is that the action is dry. It makes sense because if I were shipping a new product, I wouldn't want a pile of goo inside the box. That's good for shipping but bad for function!

Until I get some rounds through the piece, I run it a bit wet with lubrication. After a while, I use my standard lubrication trick. I oil using Break Free or a good gun oil then blow the parts off with an air hose to remove any excess. What is left after the blow off is perfect for lubrication.

Flash

·
Registered
1 Posts
hamgunner, Ruger 10/22s, Chargers, and MK Series pistols all share the same exact extractor. Sometimes they work perfect will all brands of ammo, sometimes they are selective, and sometimes they don't work well with any ammo. The fix is very simple ... install a Volquartsen "Exact Edge" extractor and your extraction problems will go away.

Once you get 10 posts, you can download the 10/22 IBOK from the Library. It has all the "how to" details.
I just ordered the Exact Edge Extractor from mcarbo today. If I still have FTE I’m selling my pc charger. I’ve tried several quality and cheap ammo and I shouldn’t have to burn thru a thousand rounds to find one that works with this equipment. I’ll let you know if the mcarbo fix works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts