Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to my charger trigger to lighten up the pull. I have looked at some custom parts and just wondered if there was anything I could do without buying anything that would help. Thanks

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You could do some stone work on the trigger/sear, but unless you know what you are doing, you can do more harm than good. You can also lighten springs, again, if you know what you are doing. Since you have to go into the trigger group, anyway, to do those things, it's easier and safer just to use aftermarket replacement parts and call it good. I put a Kidd trigger group in my Charger and it was the best $90 I've spent. Makes an already fun gun even more fun to shoot. Love my Charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on, I appreciate the info. I have looked at a bunch of aftermarket trigger kits and saw ones by Kidd also. Starting at 60 bucks, then 75 and 90 for the mack daddy one. Adjustable, and creep and draw, I'll be looking. Spent most of today cleaning and checking out my charger. Found a few small burs and that dam Matt finish in the reciever. Cleaned it up a bunch and oiled. even stoned the action a little of what I could.
Much better action and smoother. Thanks again. We'll keep looking and decide whats next.

·
Registered
435 Posts
also look at 10/22 kits, since the charger is just a 10/22 in pistol form... A power custom hammer can be had for $35 on sale, and will do more to lighten your trigger than any stoning unless you REALLY know what you are doing....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything I read about the charger was right on the money. The part about the reciever having the matt finish on the inside was exact. I cleaned mine up in the inside and it made a big differance. much smoother action.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. I am going to call "Dave" at BrimStone and check things out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Brimstone does a great job on triggers and for $35 you can't beat the improvement.

BrimstoneGunsmithing - The 10/22 Trigger
He explains a lot... :D

My experience with trigger creep etc with my drop in parts is exactly as he described it...now I have a very good idea of how to proceed with my new plastic trigger group...the one I modified was aluminum...I really like the plastic infinitely better already...and haven't even started tuning it yet...

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
He explains a lot... :D

My experience with trigger creep etc with my drop in parts is exactly as he described it...now I have a very good idea of how to proceed with my new plastic trigger group...the one I modified was aluminum...I really like the plastic infinitely better already...and haven't even started tuning it yet...
He does great work and they remain stock looking. This is important to me. These are rifles and not Chargers but they have the same triggers.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Nice collection... :D

Very glad I saw the link to the brimstone...

That is going to help me a lot...!

I know you are into the nostalgic value of the aluminum trigger groups...and while I have an "emotional attachment" to the DSP stock...I have no problem what so ever saying good bye to the aluminum as I know have plastic in both the old gun and the new gun...I really like them day and night better...

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I don't have a problem with the plastic trigger groups. The tolerances are much better in them. But I like keeping a rifle in stock vintage condition. I have a couple newer 10/22's and they have the plastic trigger groups and are much smoother after Brimstone worked on them. A lot smoother than the metal ones he did. He said that was quite common.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts