Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a Charger this weekend. With the 10" barrel the over all length (OAL) is 19 1/4". If I get an aftermarket 16" barrel for a 10/22 the OAL would be 25 1/4". I can't find the regulations on the maximum legal barrel and total handgun length.

Can anyone help with specific information, not hear say?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,306 Posts
15AcreWoods, Start on page 185, National Firearms Act. http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/q_and_a.pdf

The regulations clearly state specifications for rifles (16" or longer barrel, 26" or longer overall length) but are ambiguous for handguns. Handguns must be shorter than 26" overall length. With a standard Charger stock, that makes the maximum legal barrel length something less than 16.75". A 16" barrel would be legal on a Charger assuming you didn't do anything else to increase the overall length. You can not install a shoulder stock on a pistol. Flash suppressors are considered an extension of the barrel so in your case, you could not install a flash suppressor without exceeding the maximum length. It is illegal to convert a pistol to a rifle or a rifle to a pistol. Any exception to these regulations is illegal unless you get a Class 3 tax stamp ($200 from BATFE).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Iowegan!! It is as I thought. I will be buying a new Charger and 16" barrel thru Gunbroker in about 20 minutes.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
15AcreWoods, Start on page 185, National Firearms Act. http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/q_and_a.pdf

The regulations clearly state specifications for rifles (16" or longer barrel, 26" or longer overall length) but are ambiguous for handguns. Handguns must be shorter than 26" overall length. With a standard Charger stock, that makes the maximum legal barrel length something less than 16.75". A 16" barrel would be legal on a Charger assuming you didn't do anything else to increase the overall length. You can not install a shoulder stock on a pistol. Flash suppressors are considered an extension of the barrel so in your case, you could not install a flash suppressor without exceeding the maximum length. It is illegal to convert a pistol to a rifle or a rifle to a pistol. Any exception to these regulations is illegal unless you get a Class 3 tax stamp ($200 from BATFE).
It says "page not found". Do you have another link?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I am planning on buying a Charger this weekend. With the 10" barrel the over all length (OAL) is 19 1/4". If I get an aftermarket 16" barrel for a 10/22 the OAL would be 25 1/4". I can't find the regulations on the maximum legal barrel and total handgun length.

Can anyone help with specific information, not hear say?
You don't have to go with a 16" barrel, unless you want to. I put the 10" Kidd bull barrel on my Charger and it is VERY accurate - sub half inch at 50 yards. Just thought I'd mention it as an option if the 16" doesn't work out for you.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

I was considering putting my tacsol 16" aluminum barrel on my charger also...

The weight is about the same and the gun can still be fired as a pistol with one hand and is less than 26" oal...

It is pretty clear that one cannot take a 10/22 rifle receiver with a 16" barrel and put it in a charger stock with an oal of less than 26"...as that would be converting a rifle to a pistol...

However...it makes no sense whatsoever (not that laws make sense) that one couldn't take the charger receiver with 16" barrel and put in a rifle stock...converting a pistol not to a short barreled rifle but to what would otherwise be a legal rifle...it sucks that one can't do that...are we absolutely sure that is the case...

We all know that but for the way the law is written either/or works out to exactly the same thing except for the stamping on the receiver...

What the hell is the point of not being able to make a pistol into a rifle if it meets all the legal rifle requirements...

One thing is for certain...I am very glad I got a Charger before they went out of production...!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Can someone find the law that says a pistol barrel needs to be shorter than 16" or that a pistol can not be longer than 26 inches?

·
16,306 Posts
Back in 1990, Thompson Firearms made a rifle barrel and stock for their T/C pistol frames. BATF shut them down and imposed large fines. T/C appealed and took it all the way to the US Supreme Court. In 1992, SCOTUS ruled a rifle barrel and stock on a pistol frame did not violate the definition of an illegal firearm, providing the barrel was at least 16" and the gun could be converted back to a handgun. See this link for more details: Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D. - United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co.

The law is still on the books ... there is no restriction for barrel length on a gun sold as a pistol, however once the overall length exceeds 26", it becomes a rifle. Once a stock is installed, the barrel must be over 16" and the overall length must be 26" or more.

BATFs reasoning is based on a hidden tax we all pay when we buy a firearm. I don't remember the exact percent but I think it is 10% for a pistol and 11% for a rifle. The tax collected from firearms is supposed to go into wildlife conservation. BATF considers the Government is getting cheated out of a few buck per gun when a pistol is converted to a rifle. Going the opposite direction is quite obvious. If you shorten a rifle barrel under 16", it becomes illegal ... same as a sawed off shotgun.

To the best of my knowledge, this law has not been tested on Ruger Challengers. I suspect BATF would have a hard time imposing fines for Chargers that have been converted to rifles (16" or longer barrel with a rifle stock and 26" or more OL) due to the T/C ruling. However, I would not want to be the Guiney pig and lose my life savings in a court case.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Iowegan, my understanding is that you can take a pistol, convert it to a rifle and back again with no issues, as long as the original configuration was a pistol. There was a change in the BATFE law last year. It specifically addressed that issue. It was written for the Thompson Contenders, but the way its worded, applies to the Chargers as well. It also applies to the Beretta Neos pistol, which has a carbine Kit available from Beretta. Can you weigh in on this? Thanks

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Here is a link to the Neos carbine kit. It is currently out of stock at Beretta, but is listed in the Beretta 2013 catalog, so its not off the market. They are in stock at Brownells. Im not trying to start an argument, especially with someone as knowledgeable as Iowegan, but I doubt Beretta went to all the development, marketing, and costs to bring a product to market without doing their homework, and to later find out it was illegal.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u22-neos-carbine-kit/ju22ck1/

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Iowegan, my understanding is that you can take a pistol, convert it to a rifle and back again with no issues, as long as the original configuration was a pistol. There was a change in the BATFE law last year. It specifically addressed that issue. It was written for the Thompson Contenders, but the way its worded, applies to the Chargers as well. It also applies to the Beretta Neos pistol, which has a carbine Kit available from Beretta. Can you weigh in on this? Thanks
That is how I understand it also except it was in 2011 not last year.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Back in 1990, Thompson Firearms made a rifle barrel and stock for their T/C pistol frames. BATF shut them down and imposed large fines. T/C appealed and took it all the way to the US Supreme Court. In 1992, SCOTUS ruled a rifle barrel and stock on a pistol frame did not violate the definition of an illegal firearm, providing the barrel was at least 16" and the gun could be converted back to a handgun. See this link for more details: Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D. - United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co.

The law is still on the books ... there is no restriction for barrel length on a gun sold as a pistol, however once the overall length exceeds 26", it becomes a rifle. Once a stock is installed, the barrel must be over 16" and the overall length must be 26" or more.

BATFs reasoning is based on a hidden tax we all pay when we buy a firearm. I don't remember the exact percent but I think it is 10% for a pistol and 11% for a rifle. The tax collected from firearms is supposed to go into wildlife conservation. BATF considers the Government is getting cheated out of a few buck per gun when a pistol is converted to a rifle. Going the opposite direction is quite obvious. If you shorten a rifle barrel under 16", it becomes illegal ... same as a sawed off shotgun.

To the best of my knowledge, this law has not been tested on Ruger Challengers. I suspect BATF would have a hard time imposing fines for Chargers that have been converted to rifles (16" or longer barrel with a rifle stock and 26" or more OL) due to the T/C ruling. However, I would not want to be the Guiney pig and lose my life savings in a court case.
Great information... thank you...!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Here is a link to the Neos carbine kit. It is currently out of stock at Beretta, but is listed in the Beretta 2013 catalog, so its not off the market. They are in stock at Brownells. Im not trying to start an argument, especially with someone as knowledgeable as Iowegan, but I doubt Beretta went to all the development, marketing, and costs to bring a product to market without doing their homework, and to later find out it was illegal.

Deprecated Browser Error

That weapon seems totally consistent with what I was saying I thought made sense and what Iowegan posted...

Nice kit for that pistol...seems the same as adding a 16" barrel to a charger receiver and putting it in a 10/22 rifle stock with a butt and an oal of more than 26"...

·
16,306 Posts
weblance, I was not aware the law had been rewritten. In these days of more restrictions, it kind of surprises me. When I had my shop, I used to get bulletins from BATFE with all the changes. I'm not in the loop anymore so I'm glad someone found the reference. As you can see ... this thread started in 2009 when the reference I used in Post #2 was still valid. Looking at the new verbiage, it appears the only significant change is "can be converted back to a pistol". Other than that, it reads much like the 1992 version.

Here's my take (not being a lawyer): If you want to get into trouble with BATFE, put a rifle stock on your Charger with the factory 10" barrel or ..... put a barrel longer than 16 3/4" on your Charger with the factory pistol grip stock. Further, possess or worse yet ... sell a converted Charger without the parts to convert it back to a pistol. Anyone else read this differently?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can someone find the law that says a pistol barrel needs to be shorter than 16" or that a pistol can not be longer than 26 inches?
There is no barrel length on a pistol. And there is no minimum length on a pistol. Also no length requirements for overall length either. Unless your state says otherwise

Steve

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
780 Posts
There is no barrel length on a pistol. And there is no minimum length on a pistol. Also no length requirements for overall length either. Unless your state says otherwise

Steve
I'd say to check the regulations again.

And also this thread is 7 years old.

Aqualung

1 - 17 of 17 Posts