Ruger Forum banner

Charger

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Bfloating1 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Charger yesterday. Took t to the range and it was very user friendly and I had a great group right off the bat. I am wondering though if there is a stabilizer that can be added such as the SB Tactical Brace FS 1913. My Charger ist he wood laminate stock version and from what I can tell the brace wil not attach to this model?

#2 ·
Did a quick search to see what ya was working with. But looks to me like you can simply sand or cut down the rear grip on the stock and make it flat. Then screw on a 1913 picatinny rail that's about 1.5 or so inches long and attach it that way. You'll be soon subject to all the weird brace laws that may be coming tho so stay tuned to laws about it etc. But I put a MP 57 kit on my ruger 57 and love mine. I preferred the look and function of the SIG Rattler brace for mine tho. It's also a 1913 style I highly recommend. It's good quality

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy the Charger. You have the original 1st generation of the gun. I am not aware of any production brace that will fit. Maybe you can find a stock off a newer version someone has taken off. They either have a mount or readily accept an adapter.

#6 ·
There’s an adaptor that slips on the back of laminate stock rimfire Chargers that’s held in place by the factory screw that allows you to fit an AR style pistol buffer tube, so you can run any AR style brace. Can’t remember who makes it but saw it on eBay recently.

Just be aware that there’s new rules being proposed for braces that’s a point system, and neither the Charger or TD Charger seems to be heavy enough to qualify. Not sure if that means that lighter pistols are exempt, or if they’re not allowed to have braces at all. Guess we’ll find out in 90 days. The Firearms Blog has the ‘worksheet’ with the new rules.

#7 ·
Yep, the way the proposed rule reads, the pistol must weigh a minimum of 64 ounces without accessories. Otherwise they say it is not appropriate for a brace. You can legally add a brace, but you must SBR it under the NFA and pay the $200 for the tax stamp. Not that the weight is even a factor when attaching the FS1913 brace. The brace itself is pretty much a disqualifier due to certain subjective qualities they attribute to it. They have it all covered.

Voice your displeasure with the new rule here:

Factoring Criteria for Firearms With Attached “Stabilizing Braces”

#8 ·
There is an aluminum adaptor for about 50$ that you can use, that is great. It uses a screw on AR buffer tube as you'd expect.

Any rules about changing that are speculative and not in effect today. If the regressives ram it through, expect lawsuits and stays starting immediately. There's 100's of thousands of arm braces in use.

#9 ·
Yea, just to be clear, these are still pending rules, and you can go online and offer your comments. I have a mix of Shockwave blade, SOB & SB47, SBA3, SB1913, & Tailhook and it looks like the old SOB/SB fixed braces cost the fewest points, although you can still have a setup that doesn’t qualify due to weight, length, LOP, optics, or the hair color of your oldest child if they were born on a Tuesday.
there’s also a few questions I feel are purposely vague like ‘is it based on an existing stock design’ or whether it has enough rear surface area to be comfortably shouldered. And with 4 points the threshoId you really can’t afford not to be 100% certain. I really thought the Shockwave would come out best but you have to add Velcro or you lose a point, and you lose a point for the KAK dimpled tube as it’s considered adjustable.

they should have at least provided examples of the braces that had previously gotten approval letters on builds that can pass thru the eye of this needle, or just flat out say ‘this brace won’t fly’...

Reactions: Foundation Horse
#10 ·
Yea, just to be clear, these are still pending rules, and you can go online and offer your comments. I have a mix of Shockwave blade, SOB & SB47, SBA3, SB1913, & Tailhook and it looks like the old SOB/SB fixed braces cost the fewest points, although you can still have a setup that doesn’t qualify due to weight, length, LOP, optics, or the hair color of your oldest child if they were born on a Tuesday.
there’s also a few questions I feel are purposely vague like ‘is it based on an existing stock design’ or whether it has enough rear surface area to be comfortably shouldered. And with 4 points the threshoId you really can’t afford not to be 100% certain. I really thought the Shockwave would come out best but you have to add Velcro or you lose a point, and you lose a point for the KAK dimpled tube as it’s considered adjustable.

they should have at least provided examples of the braces that had previously gotten approval letters on builds that can pass thru the eye of this needle, or just flat out say ‘this brace won’t fly’...

All good info and I agree on all. The SOB's will keep it vague so that they can interpret it in any wishy-washy way they want to in the future.
Once they get their new boss and their nice new tan shirts, they'll go find someone to crucify.

It's the idiocracy in its finest form.

I'll predict on day 2, SB Tactical has their new Biden Edition version ready for sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.