Ruger Forum banner

Charlton Heston's Alzheimer's announcement

487 views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  alayonruger 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I was definitely a Charlton Heston fan.
He was a strong man.

#11 · (Edited)
Amen to that. I liked him from the first time I ever saw him in a movie and of course subsequently, after getting to know his character, personality, and patriotic views through research.
A truly great man.

#8 ·
A close family friend just died last week from that dreaded disease, it was a long hard decline. Good to remember folks in their prime.

#9 ·
A close family friend just died last week from that dreaded disease, it was a long hard decline. Good to remember folks in their prime.
Thanks for that reminder.

#13 ·
Forgive me for getting political here, but both Charlton Heston and Ronald Reagan were both Democrats that changed to staunch Conservative Republicans. There has to be a lesson there.

#14 ·
He left things better than he found them..If you know the poem "the dash"...his dash was full and admirable...if you don't know about the poem "the dash"...it's on you tube...here's a link.

http://youtu.be/zsY6UrFIsNs

#15 ·
Thanks, opos. I read the poem before but the music on that video you shared makes it more powerful.

#16 ·
Thank you for that opos, it's moving in a very profound way. I will pass that along to my family.

#18 ·
God forbid the twitter generation will have this man, the one media and Hollywood are shoving down our throats, as their "Charlton Heston" 20 years from now:

George [Clooney] was in town to accept the Special Filmmaking Achievement Award from the National Board of Review. He made history at that event by wisecracking in a politically incorrect manner that "Charlton Heston announced again today that he is suffering from Alzheimer's."
When I asked the actor if this was going too far, he said simply, "I don't care. Charlton Heston is the head of the National Rifle Association; he deserves whatever anyone says about him." (Clooney is a heavy hitter against the gun lobby.) He's also graphically and fully informed about world events and embraces the label "political liberal," saying he grew up thinking that's what we were supposed to be in a democracy.

#20 ·
Another one whose movies I will never watch again. I haven't watched any of his movies in a long time anyway.

#21 · (Edited)
If you haven't read his autobiography, In the Arena, find a copy. Many libraries probably have it. The shotgun on his shoulder on the back cover is a Beretta double.

Heston is one of the relatively few celebs who I think probably wrote his own book. It has a number of good photos.

I remember reading his interview in, Playboy back in the mid 1960's. Didn't care for his association with people like Arthur Ashe, but his quip about Skippy peanut butter, which I think he was advertising at the time, was amusing. He preferred the chunky sort. So did I.

#25 ·
Mr. Heston was a great actor and a real accredit to the NRA.
I will never understand how George Clooney could be so nasty and say the things he did about Mr. Heston's illness.
It's because George Looney is a lib.
Watch out. Barbara Walters (ok, I don't watch her, just saw it in the news) just chose Mrs. Looney as her 2014's most fascinating person, whatever that means. This is the same Mrs. Looney who had a disagreement with gun-owner Angelina Jolie over politics.
I maybe wrong or just plain paranoid but I seriously believe that Walters' pick is a precursor to Looney throwing his hat into the political arena.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.