Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While there is no mention of this 5" barrel length on the Charter Arms website... I found an online FFL dealer that is selling them NIB for $479

This 5 shot revolver requires no moon clips (has detents in extractor star that hold in the rimless 9mm cartridges)

I've never considered buying a gun about which I can find no information.... Odd

I think I will call Charter Arms

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
They've been making them for years. They make one in 40 S&W too. I've never seen one with a long barrel though. The company has a decent warranty if I remember, but I still don't see much of a need for a 9mm revolver. I can handload 38 special +p for the same cost as handloading 9mm ( around 5 cents per shot with cast lead bullets ).

Then when you look at the problems with bullets jumping the crimp it makes even less sense. I do agree that their design seems to be better because you don't need to use moon clips, but the only reason I could imagine where a 9mm revolver might be a good idea would be as a backup gun to a 9mm semi auto or in the event that the political ruling class in the future bans all semi autos like they did in Australia. Even if that happened I would still prefer the 38/357 mag instead.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They've been making them for years. They make one in 40 S&W too. I've never seen one with a long barrel though. The company has a decent warranty if I remember, but I still don't see much of a need for a 9mm revolver. I can handload 38 special +p for the same cost as handloading 9mm ( around 5 cents per shot with cast lead bullets ).

Then when you look at the problems with bullets jumping the crimp it makes even less sense. I do agree that their design seems to be better because you don't need to use moon clips, but the only reason I could imagine where a 9mm revolver might be a good idea would be as a backup gun to a 9mm semi auto or in the event that the political ruling class in the future bans all semi autos like they did in Australia. Even if that happened I would still prefer the 38/357 mag instead.

I know of the short barrel ones they've been making... Just the 5" is unusual

Can't find any info about the 5"

I'd be only getting it as a range gun... Something fun to shoot and unique

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I know of the short barrel ones they've been making... Just the 5" is unusual

Can't find any info about the 5"

I'd be only getting it as a range gun... Something fun to shoot and unique
Yeah, it would make a good range gun. Usually Charter Arms revolvers don't cost too much, but I would still rather have a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 9mm/357 mag. There's even scope mounts you can get for those.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd jump on a 5", .45 ACP revolver that doesn't take moon clips if I could justify the need. I think .45 is my favorite all around caliber.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
They exist, I have a 5" .40 Pit Bull......well, I don't "have" it, I had to send it back to Charter, after 20 rounds the gun locked up, the forcing cone was rubbing on the cylinder face and with heat expansion, it locked up.

Charter paid the freight, but they've had it for 2 weeks and I have no idea what's going on with it, I'm going to call them next week.

The gun has a nice action and is extremely accurate, so I'm motivated to get it fixed.

I already have Ruger single actions in 9mm and .45 ACP, I bought the .40 Charter 5" as an impulse buy, I thought it would be a neat "partner" to my P944 .40 and I just had a wierd need for a .40 revolver.

The 5" is a wierd choice for a barrel length, would rather have had a 4" since the Charter won't fit in any of the numerous IWB and OWB holster I have for 4" medium frame revolvers. It does fit the Bianchi 6 IWB holster but an inch of the barrel sticks out the bottom. A .40 out of a 5" barrel does make a nice payload for self defense, though. And .40 mags can be used as "speedloaders".

I HAD thought about getting the 9mm 5" version but my first experience with Charter has been less than stellar so far, getting a NIB gun that didn't work right out of the box.......so unless Charter really makes this right and the gun turns out to be a gem, I won't be getting the 9mm.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 9mm Blackhawk and .45 ACP Birdshead, with my .45 convertible Vaquero on the way to my dealer which I'm sure I'll love too.

No moonclips, no fuss, they eat anything,

I also like my .45 ACP-LC Redhawk, but the moonclips can be a PITA.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Those convertibles are beauties! Maybe I need to change my thinking and consider a SA vs a DA rimless caliber revolver
SA revolvers have better triggers than the SA trigger in a DA/SA revolver. For a range gun they are a good choice because you'll probably be shooting a DA/SA revolver in SA anyway so why not just get the dedicated SA that has the better trigger to start with. You get the classic western look and feel as a bonus too. Before long you'll be wanting a lever action rifle as a companion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hasn't the CA Pitbull 9mm been redesigned from 6 to 5 rounds? Rumors of less than stellar ejection/engineering.

As a dedicated 9mm revolver guy; my extensive research (reading everything about all offerings), the CA option seemed less well engineered than you would want to bet your life on.

Almost a Ready, Fire, Aim marketing/engineering exercise. .

S&W's 929 and 986 seem better engineered (and unconcealable), the 547 is a $1200 Unicorn (but I still want one), the Ruger Speed Six and SP101 are a little unicornish (both of them I want), but in the $800 range, and finally the LCR9mm is a steely eyed missleman's EDC.

Haven't shot/pursued the Taurus 905(?) or J Frame 9mm, but I'm reasonably sure they would be EDC worthy, and only a little overpriced due to their rarity vs .38/.357 .

The Ruger SA's in .38/.357 with convertible 9mm would be nice~~~sort of a $$ reasonable man's Willie Korth revolver (without the DA).

The CA just seems, well, not completely sorted out.

Moon clips are great for fast reloads, keeping your brass together post range time, carrying extra rounds easily.

The non-moon clippers are a little more engineering complex, even the 547, hence the EDC bent (on my part) to stay "clipped" to eliminate the complexity of rimless ejection.

I hope CA fixes this and makes an EDC worthy 9mm. Competition is good.

Maybe Kimber's new ReEvolver will expand into 9mm....

·
Registered
644 Posts
One of the main reasons I went with the LCR in 9mm over the Charter in 9mm. When you load up the Charter, you have to firmly press the rounds in the cylinder to get them to "clip" into the ejector. When tryin to use a speed strip, you have to tear them off and press them in. Same would be true if you could find a speed loader for it.

Wouldn't be an issue for a range gun though.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have the 2" Charter 9mm Pitbull, the original 6 shot version. My opinion, Charter made a mistake going to the 5 shot cylinder. A small 6 shot revolver is a rarity. If I were Charter, I would have made every effort to keep the 6 shot capacity. My Charter 9mm Pitbull is a very reliable revolver, with brass cased ammo. Aluminum cased ammo is difficult to eject, and cheap steel ammo is unejectable. So the solution..? Use brass cased ammo.

I like the idea of the 5" Pitbull. I also like the adjustable sights on the 5" gun. The snub has fixed sights. A 5" Pitbull, with a 6 shot cylinder, and adjustable sights would be a perfect trail gun, but when Charter dropped to 5 rounds, that killed it for me.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Hasn't the CA Pitbull 9mm been redesigned from 6 to 5 rounds? Rumors of less than stellar ejection/engineering.

As a dedicated 9mm revolver guy; my extensive research (reading everything about all offerings), the CA option seemed less well engineered than you would want to bet your life on. The CA just seems, well, not completely sorted out.
The 9mm Charter is now a 5 shot revolver. MY 9mm Pitbull(6 shot) works perfectly with brass cased ammo, and nothing is poorly engineered, and I would trust it completely for an EDC. I think its actually perfect, with the exception that a moon clip rimless revolver is quicker to load.

Haven't shot/pursued the Taurus 905(?) or J Frame 9mm, but I'm reasonably sure they would be EDC worthy, and only a little overpriced due to their rarity vs .38/.357
I have a Taurus 905, and its also a great revolver, and definitely EDC worthy. I have never felt moon clips were an issue, unlike some people who think they should be avoided like a prostitute with a cold sore. The Taurus is extremely fast to reload with a spare moon clip, actually faster than a rimmed revolver with a speedloader.

If I were going to carry either of these 9mm revolvers, the choice is 6 shots with a slower reload, or 5 shots with a much faster reload. I never made up my mind which was better, so when I actually was carrying a revolver, I carried a 7 shot 357 Taurus 617 snub. That made the decision very easy to me.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If you look around you can find the 6-shot 9mm Charters, also for me, a 5-shot medium frame 5" 9mm revolver offers no advantage over my dead reliable, rock solid 6-round 9mm Blackhawk, and both likely shoot equally as well.

I also am getting into some "Practical Handgun" competition shooting, and had previously thought a 6-shot 9mm DA revolver would be a great trainer/range gun, since 9mm range ammo is nearly 1/2 the cost of .38. A .22 is just not the same.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Charter can do with my gun, I wanted to get maybe a few 1,000 rounds of cheap .40 range ammo and reloads through it, to see if it holds up before I explore any deeper into Charter Arms' pistol caliber revolvers. I'm a wheelgun nut and I have an affinity for pistol caliber revolvers, so I had high hopes for a shootable .40 revolver with a usable barrel length.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Im sure if you search long enough on the internet, you can find a reviewer that has had trouble with anything. My Pitbull has never experienced any of the symptoms in the second review. It can be a bit of a learning curve to eject fired brass. You have to hold the revolver straight up, and stroke the ejector rod briskly or the ejectors can jump the rim. its because the 9mm casing is tapered, and as it ejects farther out of the chambers, it becomes looser, and then there is room for the casing to slip past the ejector tabs. IF you follow the procedure that Charter describes in the manual, and that I just restated above, the revolver ejects properly every time.

Loading the revolver doesn't requires "wiggling" of the cartridges, you simply start them in the chamber, then press them into place. Is it different than simply dropping them in, like a rimmed cartridge? Sure, but its not difficult, and certainly not as troublesome as the second review describes.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Loading it is easy, you just push the rounds in.

I like the added "perk" that once they're snapped in, they won't fall out of the cylinder when it's open.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts