Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First...I'm a died in the wool Ruger fan so don't rag on me about this...lol

I have interest in a Charter Arms 44 special S/S bulldog with a 2" bbl. I know Charter Arms has made the bulldog for a very long time...and it's one of the revolvers approved in California (miracle of miracles)..

Wanted to get a bit of feedback from anyone that has owned one as to it's durability and general overall performance...This won't be a carry guy except for around the house on occasion..mostly a "hide out" revolver in a small space in the house...

I load so can pretty much tailor loads but know that the Hornady 165 grain self defense load in 44 special is a pretty good general load...might keep it loaded with those and practice with hand loads..

Just want something in a snub big bore and thought it might be an option..

Many thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Even though I'm a Ruger guy my edc is a bulldog in a pocket holster. And for social situations I've added the Crimson Trace laser grips. For your purpose I don't think you can go wrong with Hornady Ammo . It's what I use.
Recoil is a little snappy but controllable. And for practice I use the Winchester 240 grain cowboy loads which are a hoot to shoot.
But I might graduate to the redhawk kodiak backpacker.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have one and like it. I had to send mine back to Charter Arms as it was leading up one side of the forcing cone badly and would then shoot about 6" left at 8 yards. They replaced the crane in it and now it shoots to POA.

Fun little gun. Look into getting the original style wood grips for it. Much better than the rubber ones that come stock.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I know Charter Arms has made the bulldog for a very long time...
Just FYI, I believe varying companies have made a revolver called the bulldog under the name Charter Arms over the past decades. If you are buying one new, that doesn't really matter though. But it sounds like the older ones are not all equally well made.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I've been eyeing one at a local gun shop that's been sitting there for months. It's new production and the fit/finish are equal to my S&W 642. I dry fired it a few times too and the trigger feels good. All the reviews I've read and watched online (Hickok45 even has a video up), it seems like those who own one have no real complaints. For the money you can't go wrong.

·
Administrator
22,148 Posts
From what I hear he original ones were good and the new ones are decent the ones in between a bit of a crap shoot. Some good some not so much.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have owned several charter arms hand guns since 1970, none have given me any problem, I still have 3 that see service as house guns & car guns, I don't think you can go wrong with them, just to add a note I also have 6 ruger single actions from 44 mag down to the 32/20, am very satisfied with both the ruger and charter arms

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Oops. These Bulldogs are great. I am on my 4th one. Sold, traded etc but keep returning to them. My latest is the Classic 3" blue. Their engraved one is the same but this has no laser engraving.

That big front sight can make you shoot low. I had CA grind mine down for free, shipping free both ways.

Look at the Classic too before you buy, do not k ow if they are CA ok but the SS is a great revolver.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I just bought one on 1-02-16 and shot some loads with Elmers bullet and 7.5 grs. of Unique. It certainly gets your attention when fired. Very accurate at 25 yards for me. I'll be working on a little bit lighter load though. 4 grs. of Bullseye perhaps. The quality seems okay as it cost only $359.00! Has an exceptional trigger too!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
This is what the "original" wood grips look like.
BTW, all Charter Arms revolvers use/share the same grips, so never the confusion that Ruger has.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Even though I'm a Ruger guy my edc is a bulldog in a pocket holster. And for social situations I've added the Crimson Trace laser grips. For your purpose I don't think you can go wrong with Hornady Ammo . It's what I use.
Recoil is a little snappy but controllable. And for practice I use the Winchester 240 grain cowboy loads which are a hoot to shoot.
But I might graduate to the redhawk kodiak backpacker.
I've a friend who owns a Bulldog 44. His opinion is that the Bulldog is significantly less painful to shoot than my PF-9.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The only other handgun brand I own other than Ruger is a Charter .44 Special snub,about three years old.
At around $400 purchase price common now,it is no longer "Cheap".

With Buffalo Bore anti personnel load,very accurate and comfortable to shoot.

The Charter is visibly built to lighter standards- most frustrating thing is to know that it is not meant for heavy shoot use,and that Ruger has so far not yet offered Ruger version.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I like mine. I usually shoot a couple cylinder full once a month out to 70 yards or so to make sure I can hit what I aim at. As said above, it isn't made for constant use. The loads I use are regular .44 Special loads (NOT the Skeeter load) with a 240g SWC. When I CC, this is the gun I carry and for general house protection. Yes, mine shoots to the right, but easy to compensate for and at SD distances, it isn't goin' to matter.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The Charter is visibly built to lighter standards- most frustrating thing is to know that it is not meant for heavy shoot use,and that Ruger has so far not yet offered Ruger version.
I think you can put all the standard .44 spl loads through a Bulldog that you want. It is not built to take the pressure of "hot" 44 spl loads,if you need that, buy a .44mag

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I've had a 3"er for about 35 years. Paid $150.00 for it, as I recall. As others have said, it's one of those "carry a lot, shoot a little" kind of guns. I use mine for a hikng and general woods bumming gun, with Speer Gold Dot 200 grain ammo. I would have no qualms about buying another one, but if you get one get a set of Pachmeyer grips for it. You can thank me later.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've got one I bought about 1974 or so, was unaware they came with anything other than the 3" barrel. Mine came with wooden grips which I traded in shortly after purchasing it for the Pachmeyer grips. I reload a 200 grain Xtreme bullet, copper coated. Found it to be very accurate up to 15 yards. Mine is still very tight and has shot quite few rounds thru it. Although I carry it when I'm out in the boonies, using snake shot, in two of the charge holes, and the afore mentioned rounds in the other 3 charge holes during the summer months out here. I've come to really appreciate that little beast. Recently I did an action job on a SS version that I really liked, as well as bobbing the hammer, for a good friend. Neat little revolver btw.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think you can put all the standard .44 spl loads through a Bulldog that you want. It is not built to take the pressure of "hot" 44 spl loads,if you need that, buy a .44mag
10/4

It's 'strength' is it's weakness- light weight.

I have run about 75 rounds/appropriate load for Charter Arms through it so far-and had to tighten screws.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Had an original 3 inch from the 80's and somehow let it get away in my lust for something else. I've missed it ever since. When I carried it for personal protection I had it stoked with Speer Gold dot 200gr "flying ashtrays". Used to reload for it with a 200 gr LSWC over a mild charge of Trail Boss. Not much fun with the Speer Gold dots, but ok with the reloads.

Just saw "the Boomer", may have to get one of those....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts