Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a Charter Arms Magnum Pug — 2.5”, 23 oz., 41 Magnum. Don’t plan on reloading for it, so ordered some factory loads — Barnes Vortex 180gr XFB HP, 230gr “Keith” HSM Bear Load, 230gr SWC, 250gr WFN Grizzly. Chronoed 2 ea of the above (3ea Grizzly) a week ago — LabRadar muzzle vel at approx. 55 deg F. Ordered some Fed 210gr Swift A Frame and Grizzly 210gr Punch and shot those today (45 deg F last 2) both in truck until shot.

180gr Barnes ….… 1,195 fps (21 es)
230gr HSM …….… 1,145 fps (28 es)
230gr Underwood .. 1,263 fps (18 es)
250gr Grizzly …….. 1,169 fps (4 es)
210gr Fed Swift A Frame .. 1,191 fps (1 es)
210gr Grizzly Punch …….. 1,239 fps (20 es)

The Underwood 230gr had the most recoil and the 180gr Barnes the least. Didn’t put any on paper, but the 180gr Barnes hit the 25 yd plate with a 6 O’Clock hold, all the rest hit quite a bit higher.

Recoil is reasonably manageable — less than .357 Mags in both S&W 360 PD & Ruger LCR. Didn’t seem as snappy as .44 mags in the 329 PD. Trigger finger not impacted but base of thumb and web of hand received moderate impact. HSM offers a “Cowboy” load that is actually fun to shoot.

Grizzly Punch is a bit too long to function reliably in the CA.

FWIW,

Paul

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,785 Posts
Very curious about their guns, now that they are under new ownership. I have considered their 9mm six gun, with its clever system for holding rounds without moon clips.

·
One Star
9,716 Posts
That's sweet very nice!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice report Paul ..I don't own any Charter Arms presently but certainly have in the past and with no regrets ..but I am intrigued by this 41 you are toting ..and I sure as heck would rather have a Charter than a Taurus and some of the other off shore stuff floating around.

Bear

·
Registered
726 Posts
I’m a big fan of the .41 mag. Nice revolver and thanks for sharing the results with various ammo.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I gotta get me one of those! Years ago I had one of the Charters in 44 spl and it was an accurate revolver.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That is one I've been considering as well as their new .32 H&R Magnum; really nice. I'm a big fan of Charter Arms, and they have an enthusiastic and loyal following, and rightfully so. I've owned several through the years, and still have my early Bridgeport Undercover. My sons each have Bulldogs bouncing around in their ranch truck glove boxes for years. And I sold a Pitbull to my neighbor . Enjoy your CA.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Keep in mind that Wolff makes extra-power mainsprings for it. You'll eventually need one, probably much sooner than you expect (like between 300-600 rounds).

·
Super Moderator
21,349 Posts
Keep in mind that Wolff makes extra-power mainsprings for it. You'll eventually need one, probably much sooner than you expect (like between 300-600 rounds).
Why is that??

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Why is that??
Apparently unlike others, CA has a problem fitting long-lasting springs into their offerings. Their plant is not so far from here and occasionally I get to talk to former employees and current suppliers. Plus my own experience with one of their POC Mag Pug's.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Very cool little revolver. I really wanted to like Charter Arms and owned a newer 44 Bulldog for a while but it had locked up on me twice while dry firing so I got rid of it. It was not excessive either. Just a few times and cylinder locked and hammer could not be pulled back. Both times I had to send it back to them on my dime. Both times they replaced different parts. I was told the 2nd time in a note when sent back to me, "don't dry fire this revolver", but they never gave me any reason why. So I am just letting you know if you own a Charter don't dry fire it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Put adj sights and a 4 inch barrel on one of those 9mm Pit Bulls, and I would spend the money on one just to see how it functions ejecting without the moon clips.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just read the re-introduced S&W 610 in 10mm can be loaded one by one as well as with 6 rd moon clips. Head spaces off the case mouth. You gotta poke 'em out with a pencil if not using moon clips.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Never heard of that issue. I owned 4 CAs at one time and still have an Undercover. :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Those are actually pretty impressive velo's out of a snubby. One of my regular customers from way back back when had the .44 Spcl Bulldog. I guess I was one of the few retailers that kept. 44 Spcl on hand all the time. But when she brought the brass back the next day, her hand was bruised all to...well, that place down below! So I loaded her some really lite Spcl's that didn't beat her half to death, which she really appreciated. I think it was a 200 gr. RN over 5.0 grn of 231. I told her that if she ever actually had to use the gun she wouldn't notice the difference until the bruises showed up the next day! I like the big bore snubbies but never actually got one as I was pretty invested in the .45 Auto.
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the review. Been considering one of the CA .41 Mags. I think even with the 215 grain LSWC at 800 fps, it would make a great little self defense thumper!

·
Registered
728 Posts
The 41 is a great round. I have run across people that sold their 44 mags and went to only 41. Its one of the great cult rounds. I like the 44spl, I have a Blackhawk in both. I reload so I just bought the dies for it. I don't have a real need for it but everyone enjoys shooting it.

I'm jealous you have it in a double action, great round for self defense, look up the history on it and you see it was issued to some police depts.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have the 32 h&r undercoverette(hate that name) and the 44 spec. bulldog. No problems with either one. Would like to find a 41 mag. (reason to load a diff. caliber) or maybe the 9mm or maybe the 40 SW. Can't forget the 45 acp. Nice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Or maybe a 10mm.

I bought the Glock 40 Long slide in 10mm but, due to moving, it's in storage with almost all my toys. Haven't fired it yet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts