Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with Charter arms? I see their ad in Guns and Ammo, but my local gun store doesn’t carry them.

What is their quality and fit and finsh like? Customer service any good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've never fired one but I've handled the new ones in the stores. The fit and finish was, to put it nicely, remarkably unimpressive. Overall it felt and looked cheap. Given the ~$100 difference to step to the S&W 640 series of snubbies I cannot see a place for the Charters.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They do look a little rough, but I have heard people talk lovingly about the Bulldog. The one thing that interests me is their southpaw revolver. I haven't seen anything else like it. Its a good idea for us leftys who fumble loading and unloading a revolver

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've never had any experience with any, except the Bulldog. I did not like it. But then, I have always thought Ruger makes the best revolver.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
They do look a little rough, but I have heard people talk lovingly about the Bulldog. The one thing that interests me is their southpaw revolver. I haven't seen anything else like it. Its a good idea for us leftys who fumble loading and unloading a revolver
They had to do something a little different or sink imo. Not very impressive guns. I'd rather have a Taurus any day.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have owned 4 Bulldogs/Bulldog Pugs.....sent one in that quit functioning...customer service sucked and only did half what I told them to....I've heard more shooting loose reports than I'll swallow...I won't own another one....company has closed and changed hands a lot....unstable....I'd go Taurus first.....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like Charter is getting the thumbs down from every one...Thats to bad, there's room in the budget minded revolver market.

Thats why I like this forum so much. Good advice, and honest oppinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My uncle (ex-sheriff) purchased one for CCW and said it was a waste of money. He said the fit/finish was terrible.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
The .44 Bulldog gained notoriety after it was used by Son of Sam serial killer David Berkowitz in his murder spree. Lots of 44 Special Bulldogs were sold afterwards. Most people consider the Charter Arms guns nothing more than poor quality Saturday Night Specials.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The fit & finish on the Charter is not what you will find on a S&W,Ruger,or Taurus, but they are a servicable gun. Just remember they will be a little gritty & the edges aren't all smooth & pencil thin. The one I have shot went bang & was easy to hit small targets at 10 & 15 feet. It was a Bulldog Pug .44 Special. This particular gun did have to go back to the factory for adjustment, but it came back in 5 weeks & works perfectly now. For a person on a budget they are a viable option. Frank

·
Registered
144 Posts
Charter Arms

It's too bad about what I am reading. I would really like a Southpaw revolver from someone that is reliable and builds quality:(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 1000 + rounds of 200gr GDHP through my Bulldog Pug with out a problem.
Did some fitting and changed a spring. Its lighter then my SP101, makes a bigger hole.
A Ruger it is not, but for the money it works for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts