Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw them today on GB, new 5" versions of the 9mm and .40 Pitbull, in addition to the snub versions.

Also, the .45 ACP snub Pitbull is out.........maybe a 5" version to follow?

Anyway, I'm not a Charter Arms owner, never owned or fired one but the 5" .40 looks interesting........

I would jump all over the 5" 9mm, but I'm in the midst of a 9mm-.38 Super GP100 conversion, that's about to get shipped out, so I have no need for a "budget price" 9mm revolver at this point.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There was a 5" 9mm for sale last year, somewhere on Armslist. I thought it was interesting. It had fixed sights, so I thought it was a strange idea. I also saw someone who lived close to Charter, and they dropped their 40, and had a 4" or 5" barrel installed. Again, fixed sights. I haven't seen the GB listings yet, but I bet they are also fixed sight. Its a neat idea, the barrel length is great for velocity, but I wouldn't buy one unless they had adjustable sights.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Ok, the 9mm has adjustable sights. It now has a 5 round capacity though. I knew Charter was going to a 5 round cylinder for the 9mm Pitbull. Thats unfortunate. I like the idea of the 5" barrel. Would make a "cheap to shoot" trail gun...

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Looks interesting, but I cant find anything on Charter's web site about it. pix957275262.jpg

The add says its a Pitbull, But it looks identical to a Bulldog in .38 cal.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both the 9mm and .40 look like they have adjustable sights in the pics, they basically just used the Police Target Bulldog and made them 9's and 40's it seems.

From what I read they were having problems with the 6 shot 9mm's, so they went to 5.

The big question would be, are they using a true .355 bored barrel for the 9, or just using standard .357 5" barrels that they already make......I don't see a $400 revolver having a special .355 barrel but you never know.

I'd be more interested in the .40, since I already have plans in motion to make my "dream" 9mm revolver with one of my GP100's......plus I have a hunch Ruger is planning to drop a 9mm SP101.

I would wonder what the durability factor would be, since .40 reloads are just about as cheap as 9 these days, with .40 becoming increasingly available and cheaper. I would shoot it a lot if I got one.

The .45 ACP Bulldog doesn't interest me,since I have a .45 ACP Redhawk at my dealer I'm picking up Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I remember a year or two ago that there was a limited production run of 5" 9mm Pitbulls and saw one on Gunbroker. I wonder if this will now be a catalog item or another limited run.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably a "test" run to see if they actually sell, since Charter seems to release things in batches.

For a while those 5" fixed sight .38 "Police Bulldogs" in blue (matte) were everywhere.......at gun shows, GunBroker,etc. and then it was like they dissapeared.

I had wanted one in stainless, but for over a year you couldn't find one. There's a few around now, but the urge for one has passed.

I read a review on the .45 ACP Pitbull, it seems these were just released recently. The overall verdict is "not very fun to shoot" so I'd pass on that one.

The more I think about it the more I want to try the .40 5".........I feel like if I don't get it now, and Charter pulls the plug on them, we'll never see them again.

At the very least, I had wanted to at least "try" something from Charter, since I like to give every US gun maker that makes revolvers a chance.........so this .40 5" might be a good one to check out for me. It will at least give me something to play with until I get everything together for my 10mm GP100.........plus I have a few thousand rounds of "practice grade" .40 laying around, hopefully that doesn't turn out to exceed the service life of the gun.......

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I wonder what kind of ejector system they are using on this 5' model? I looked at a pitbull snubie in 9mm, and the gun looked great, but the ejector system looked kinda delicate. Thats really what stopped me from buying it. If this 5 inch is a moon clip, I might bite.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
dcdixon said:
I wonder what kind of ejector system they are using on this 5' model? I looked at a pitbull snubie in 9mm, and the gun looked great, but the ejector system looked kinda delicate. Thats really what stopped me from buying it. If this 5 inch is a moon clip, I might bite.

It will be the same clip-less style the Pitbull 9mm snub has. Charter will not make a moon clip revolver. I have been told that first hand by the CEO

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The clip-less system is what attracts me to these, since I want them pretty much 100% as range guns......

I hear Charter has good CS, they're a small US company so I would guess if something gives out or wears out they'll fix it for you.

The 5-shot 9mm for a 5" revolver kind of knocks it out of the box, I think they would have a winner if the .40 is any good, since .40 is becoming "the new 9mm"........I tried to trade in my CZ75 .40 and dealers are like "we're swimming in .40 pistols, I already have too many", .40 is everywhere now.

Of course there will be people trying to open up the .40 model to 10mm and shooting the guns loose, there's always the "must make it more powerful" crowd........

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I think a 5" 9mm revolver with adjustable sights would make a great trail gun. Its simply a shame they have gone to a 5 shot cylinder.

The release of the Ruger LCR-327, a 5" 9mm Pitbull, and more Single Sevens(I want a 4 5/8")comes at a bad time for me. My gun fund is shot for the year, and all I can do is watch, and drool... =b,

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think these would be better in a 4", but for some reason Charter seems dead set on making all their "non snub" revolvers with 5" barrels, even the fixed sight Police Bulldog.........5" always seemed like an odd choice instead of going with 4", but hey,it's something different.

The only thing that's got me thinking twice about the .40 5" is the durability, I don't want to shoot it loose in 4,000 rounds. I can get bulk .40 and it's not uncommon for me to run 3-500 through a wheelgun in one range trip if I can get cheaper bulk ammo. I don't know if Charter built these as "high volume shooter" type guns, or more as "trail/carry guns" that they don't expect people to beat on.

I'm a little more wary now because I did shoot a Rock Island .38 out of time, and I'm also spoiled by the durability of my Ruger wheelguns.......we'll see how things develop. I may be better off putting a deposit down on a Clement's 10mm conversion, that I've been wanting to do anyway.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think they would have a winner if the .40 is any good, since .40 is becoming "the new 9mm"........I tried to trade in my CZ75 .40 and dealers are like "we're swimming in .40 pistols, I already have too many", .40 is everywhere now.
Hmm, I think you might have that backwards - 9 is the new 40 - the reason you see all these used 40s is people are trying to trade them for 9s.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bulk .40 isn't too much more than bulk 9, maybe $200 for 1,000 9mm and $230 for 1,000 .40's, for range ammo.

I think I'll stick with my upcoming GP100 conversion (9mm, .38 Super, 9x23) and I think I'll be set for "cheap range shooting" for when I want more than a .22. The 5-shot Charter 9mm would be a "pass" for me.

We'll see how I feel about a .40, I'll have to keep researching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts