Ruger Forum banner

Chasing Gobblers...Hopefully

2K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  23Loar 
#1 ·
I have to work one more night before I can go hunting. I will get off work at 0600hrs Friday morning. I'll get some sleep then head to camp. My Rem 870 12ga w/ Undertaker choke is in the truck. My vest is loaded with 3" 1 7/8oz #4 loads, calls, decoys, and binoculars. I hope to find birds. My work schedule has kept me from scouting like I normally would. The south Georgia weather forecast isn't great either. Oh well, I'm prepared for whatever happens. If I cant find turkeys on my land I will fish. Bass fishing gear is also in the truck. If my pond is too muddy I will target shoot during any dry afternoon hours. I have my NM Blackhawk .357, .45 Colt Vaquero Birdshead, Glock 22 .40S&W, Charger .22lr, T/C Compass .243, and Enfield .303 with assorted ammo to shoot. I'm hoping the last adjustment to the magazine feed lips will have the .303 running smoothly. I have 12ga #8's and choke tubes in case I decide to throw some clays. I am going to relax and have fun regardless. I am so ready for the woods!

#2 ·
Very exciting. Hope you bag a good one. Season opens May 4th here.

#5 ·
Personally I don't do any calling pre season. Where I go I don't even need to. Those old buzzards frequent the same haunts all the time. Been out lookin' though. Sure enough their out struttin' already.

#7 ·
Hi Mark: I'm no expert by any means. But I have the drill down pretty good. I would always practice in the case of a new or different call though. I like to break em in.

#8 ·
I'm no expert turkey hunter by any means. I've taken some nice long-beard gobblers, but they were uneducated and non-pressured birds. I use a slate or box call. I feel minimal calling is best. I've learned that they know where you are very quickly after you begin calling. If I can get a bird coming towards me I shut up, get ready, and keep my eyes peeled.

#9 ·
I feel minimal calling is best. I've learned that they know where you are very quickly after you begin calling. If I can get a bird coming towards me I shut up, get ready, and keep my eyes peeled.
I agree, minimal calling is good.......but once I think he know where I’m at, (and he does) and I’m sure he’s still at least 50 plus yards out I move away from him and call some more. Spring Gobblers don’t like to be ignored, moving away really sets them off, they will come in hard if they’re alone..........if he’s with hens you need to P/O the boss hen, she will come and he will follow. JMO

#14 ·
Sounds they’re all “henned up” NGA. I look at like being a young guy in bar, you’re talking to a group of females and some chick across the bar calls ya over. Are you leaving? Probably not, I’ll my chances with the “group” first before I wander off. That’s my analogy when they won’t come......

#13 ·
Went out early this morning to where I plan on setting up opening day, May 4th. The birds were there like usual. Hope they hang for another couple weeks. Good luck on your next endeavour.

#15 ·
Went out this morning for a couple of hours. Saw 5 birds but the closest shot was about 60 yards. That happened twice. Passed both times. Listened to them clucking and gobbling all morning. There were some other hunters on the property next door making a heck of a racket and calling almost non-stop. I knew where they were and in fact I saw them walking through the woods. They didn't see me or know I was there. Figured I'd let them kick 'em up for me. Didn't get a shot but I sure enjoyed myself sitting in the woods. No wife, no TV, no radio, no phone. There's plenty of turkey around. Pretty sure I'll put something in the freezer this week.

#16 ·
I hope you get one. I left empty handed. Bad weather cost me a day of hunting, but I enjoyed myself none the less. Fishing was wonderful, and I always enjoy time in the woods. Gusty winds kept us off the rifle range. My friend and I had great fun with handguns though. Loggers had clear cut about 70acres on our property in the last month. That had an effect on the birds I'm sure. I would have relocated to a quieter location if I was a turkey.

#17 ·
Thanks NGA. Our season goes for a couple more weeks. I've been out twice since my last post and heard/seen birds each time. I passed on a shot the day before yesterday I wish I could have back. He was close enough. Barely. I should have taken him. Oh well. That's why they call it hunting. It's been raining and/or I had chores to do the other days. Bit soggy today but I'll go back out tomorrow and let the weekend hunters push 'em my way again.

#18 ·
Good luck to all. I got lucky and got mine right away, first day. Kinda anti-climatic since I didn't get to hunt much. First set-up, this ol' boy came off the roost and followed his two hens right to me. Couldn't get too close before daylight because of the crunchy snow/ground. It was 17 degrees when I left the jeep @ 5:15. This pic was taken @ 6:05. No Ruger used, , a 100+ year old Model 97, with 2 3/4", #5 pheasant loads. Coyotes were yippin' close by right before daylight so this guy never let out a peep, until I made my fly down cackle @ 5:50. He goobled on the roost several times. Few minutes later I see the hens coming over the ridge yelping all the way. He was 100 yards or so behind them struttin' and gobblin' the whole way. Yep, callin' the hens is what works best when the Toms are henned up.
Wild turkey Bird Winter Beak Galliformes

#23 ·
Congrats. That's a good one. Season opens here this Saturday. Can't wait to take the shotgun for a walk.

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late update. After I finished my chores on Saturday I decided to go out back and see if I could get some dinner. I was about 400 yards from the house and slowly moving towards where I knew the turkey had been moving. I still had about another 400 yards to go when I spotted a lone bird moving through a meadow. There was a fence/tree line between me and him so I went to ground and slowly low crawled towards him. Fortunately he changed directions and started moving towards me. I put a tree between us and stayed low waiting on him. When he got within range I waited for his head to go down to feed and I slowly stood up. He took a few more steps closer and when his head went down again I raised my shotgun. When his head came back up I took him. He wasn't a big bird (about 9lbs dressed) but about 3 hours later we were eating roast turkey for dinner. He was also pretty tasty the next day as wild turkey enchiladas.

I used an old black plastic stocked 870 12ga, 28" barrel, modified choke. I forgot to get some turkey loads before the season opened so I used what I had on hand. A box of Federal Heavy Field loads. 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot. I don't own nor know how to use a turkey call but I plan on learning before the fall season. I did wear some camo. Nothing fancy. A cheap pair of camo Wranglers, a cotton long sleeve T-shirt, face covering, some camo jersey gloves and an old boonie hat.

Reactions: 23Loar
#28 ·
Great tactic bonk and congrats on the score. I still have a few days to wait. Saturday can't come soon enough.😀

#30 ·
Thanks guys. Better lucky than good. I've had that 870 for about 25 years and it's served me well. I've hunted geese, dove, ducks and now turkey with it. If I do my part it'll get the job done. I still wouldn't mind getting some turkey specific gear though. A new high speed low drag shotgun. Maybe some high tech light weight fair weather camo. All the serious hunting garments I own now are based on cold weather. Gotta get a call and learn how to use it. Etc.

#31 ·
I hear ya on the cold weather garments. Most of mine are too. One saving grace for me, the mornings here in Maine are still in the 30's. So this commin' Saturday, my insulated coverall is gonna' be just fine.:LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.