Ruger Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Congrats. That's a good one. Season opens here this Saturday. Can't wait to take the shotgun for a walk.

Sorry for the late update. After I finished my chores on Saturday I decided to go out back and see if I could get some dinner. I was about 400 yards from the house and slowly moving towards where I knew the turkey had been moving. I still had about another 400 yards to go when I spotted a lone bird moving through a meadow. There was a fence/tree line between me and him so I went to ground and slowly low crawled towards him. Fortunately he changed directions and started moving towards me. I put a tree between us and stayed low waiting on him. When he got within range I waited for his head to go down to feed and I slowly stood up. He took a few more steps closer and when his head went down again I raised my shotgun. When his head came back up I took him. He wasn't a big bird (about 9lbs dressed) but about 3 hours later we were eating roast turkey for dinner. He was also pretty tasty the next day as wild turkey enchiladas.

I used an old black plastic stocked 870 12ga, 28" barrel, modified choke. I forgot to get some turkey loads before the season opened so I used what I had on hand. A box of Federal Heavy Field loads. 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot. I don't own nor know how to use a turkey call but I plan on learning before the fall season. I did wear some camo. Nothing fancy. A cheap pair of camo Wranglers, a cotton long sleeve T-shirt, face covering, some camo jersey gloves and an old boonie hat.

Reactions: 23Loar
Great tactic bonk and congrats on the score. I still have a few days to wait. Saturday can't come soon enough.😀

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Sorry for the late update. After I finished my chores on Saturday I decided to go out back and see if I could get some dinner. I was about 400 yards from the house and slowly moving towards where I knew the turkey had been moving. I still had about another 400 yards to go when I spotted a lone bird moving through a meadow. There was a fence/tree line between me and him so I went to ground and slowly low crawled towards him. Fortunately he changed directions and started moving towards me. I put a tree between us and stayed low waiting on him. When he got within range I waited for his head to go down to feed and I slowly stood up. He took a few more steps closer and when his head went down again I raised my shotgun. When his head came back up I took him. He wasn't a big bird (about 9lbs dressed) but about 3 hours later we were eating roast turkey for dinner. He was also pretty tasty the next day as wild turkey enchiladas.

I used an old black plastic stocked 870 12ga, 28" barrel, modified choke. I forgot to get some turkey loads before the season opened so I used what I had on hand. A box of Federal Heavy Field loads. 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot. I don't own nor know how to use a turkey call but I plan on learning before the fall season. I did wear some camo. Nothing fancy. A cheap pair of camo Wranglers, a cotton long sleeve T-shirt, face covering, some camo jersey gloves and an old boonie hat.
That worked out great. Congratulations on some fresh meat. I love how you got it done with what you have. Fancy guns and shells give you extra range, but if you get close anything will work. Great story.

Thanks guys. Better lucky than good. I've had that 870 for about 25 years and it's served me well. I've hunted geese, dove, ducks and now turkey with it. If I do my part it'll get the job done. I still wouldn't mind getting some turkey specific gear though. A new high speed low drag shotgun. Maybe some high tech light weight fair weather camo. All the serious hunting garments I own now are based on cold weather. Gotta get a call and learn how to use it. Etc.

I hear ya on the cold weather garments. Most of mine are too. One saving grace for me, the mornings here in Maine are still in the 30's. So this commin' Saturday, my insulated coverall is gonna' be just fine.:LOL:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.