Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had problems with failure to eject and failure to feed with my new 10/22. This occurred with the 10 rd mag and with two BX-25's. It happened with Remington Thunderbolt and Golden Bullets and, to a lesser extent, with CCI Mini mags. I sent it in to Ruger for service. They replaced the bolt and one of the BX-25 mags. I tested again today with about 300 rds and I still had the failures with all magazines and all ammo types. It is somewhat better than it was before sending it for service. It seemed to improve after around 150 rounds. It has had a total of around 600 rounds at this point. As expected, the CCI's have the lowest failure rate and I can probably live with it.

What can I realistically expect with the cheap ammo? Some people say that their 10/22 will eat anything with no problems. Others say that theirs prefers certain ammo, especially more premium ammo.

As stated in other posts, the 10 rd magazine is slightly bigger than the BX-25's and fits better, with less slop. I have read about the tape, glue, spring and upgrade parts fixes. Clearly, these modifications should not be required, but I may have to try some of them to see if I can improve the failure rate.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Sorry you are having issues OP. My 10/22 that I purchased new in 1992 when I was 12 eats anything. I think the only issue it’s ever had was the occasional failure to fire with about 50% chance it will fire on the second try, but that is due to feeding it cheap ammo and not the fault of the gun. And back in the day (I was 12 in 1992) I would run brick after brick through it without cleaning and it would just keep going. I have since learned how to clean it. My 10/22 mag has had no issues ever and can’t think of a single ftf, fte, anything. That said, I am not sure what, if any changes have been made. To me, it sounds like it might need another trip to Ruger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
I tried a few 25 round mags with mine and couldn't get them to work as reliably as the 10 round mags. I took them apart, cleand and polished everything, did the tape "thing" and then used some JB weld on one to take the place of the tape. Never could get them to work.

I ended up buying a few "doublers" to connect two 10 round mags and have had no problems since with good ammo.

The best cheap stuff for me is probably Federal Auto Match.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,577 Posts
Something isn't right. The 10/22 should feed, fire, and eject most all name brand ammo. Truncated cone bullets, light/quiet loads, rat shot and other specialty loads aren't expected to run in semi automatic guns. Remington ,Federal, CCI, and Winchester round nose and hollow point ammo in both standard and high velocity loadings should run. High velocity ammo is better with tight new guns to help break them in. Have you taken the gun apart for a good cleaning and lube? Best practice for testing is a new factory ten round magazine to eliminate that variable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
have to echo ScottMN's comments - have a number of 25-rnd Ruger mags, but since switching to Ruger 10-rnd mags w/doublers and tri-mag couplers, have never looked back...

reliability is very good with nearly all .22LR ammo on my 10/22 and Charger TDs... some of course, work better or have a bit better accuracy, such as CCI SV... but i also enjoy $0.03/rnd plinking w/Aguila Super Extra (SV)... Remington Subsonic works well...

heavily waxed ammo seems problematic for feeding in any of my .22LR semiauto pistol or rifle magazines, with the possible exception of my cheapest fun plinkers such as the HP22As

just my $0.02

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gun has been cleaned and lubed 5 times. The last time was done by Ruger. I would expect it to be broken in by now, with around 600 rds. Since Ruger replaced the bolt, perhaps it needs some more break-in. It did seem to improve after about 150 rds yesterday. I ran "as is" after Ruger did their work and cleaned and lubed it. I showed it to the gunsmith at the range and he said they run theirs with a lot more oil.
I am going to pick a few other types of ammo and do further testing. I cleaned it and am going to try running it with more lubrication to see if it improves. I may pick up another 10 rd mag as well.

·
Registered
783 Posts
In my case the failure to feed problem was cured by cranking up the spring tension in the (stock 10 round) magazine. Not a lot. I only had the problem after I took the magazine apart to clean it. They do work satisfactorily over a fair range of spring tension, I have found. Failure to eject, I've had maybe one handful in thousands of rounds, so can't help you there. My K1022T was basically stock all that time. Careful with oil. Lightly lube the guide rod assembly, but leave the bolt mostly dry. Any oil on the firing pin area will collect burnt powder and you will end up with frequent failure to fire. I use a dry lube sparingly, there.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have 4 10/22s. One from 1994, the others the last 5 or 6 years. All 4 of them function with any good ammo including standard velocity. When you get the under powered golden bullet it will not kick the bolt back far enough to load the next round or the one with no primer compound, I can't remember ever having a failure with CCI ammo. With good ammo and good magazines mine are good to go. I have not tried CCI Quiets in it, ain't supposed to work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had problems with failure to eject and failure to feed with my new 10/22. This occurred with the 10 rd mag and with two BX-25's. It happened with Remington Thunderbolt and Golden Bullets and, to a lesser extent, with CCI Mini mags. I sent it in to Ruger for service. They replaced the bolt and one of the BX-25 mags. I tested again today with about 300 rds and I still had the failures with all magazines and all ammo types. It is somewhat better than it was before sending it for service. It seemed to improve after around 150 rounds. It has had a total of around 600 rounds at this point. As expected, the CCI's have the lowest failure rate and I can probably live with it.

What can I realistically expect with the cheap ammo? Some people say that their 10/22 will eat anything with no problems. Others say that theirs prefers certain ammo, especially more premium ammo.

As stated in other posts, the 10 rd magazine is slightly bigger than the BX-25's and fits better, with less slop. I have read about the tape, glue, spring and upgrade parts fixes. Clearly, these modifications should not be required, but I may have to try some of them to see if I can improve the failure rate.
The problem is Remington ammo SUCKS!! - I had nothing but problems with it (as have most) finally got rid of it. No comment on the CCI.

I have best luck with Federal Brand Ammo.
Auto Match... Federal Auto Match 325rd box (AM22)

And this stuff... 525rd [Walmart] Value Pack (745) -- Now comes in red 550rd bulk boxes.

Never had any issues with the factory 10-rd mags, that's a new one on me.

Based on what I've read & heard from custom shops, the BX-25's seem to be hit or miss. I've only tried one of mine & it works good.

There's several vids on YouTube showing a quick 'n' easy fix for the BX-25's using a spent 22lr casing. Check them out, give the fix a try & see if it helps you with your situation.

In fairness, I have to state that all my 10/22's (except for the TD I just got) are home made using top notch aftermarket parts. JWH Custom bolts, Tac Sol barrels, factory trigger groups reworked by Clark Custom & installed into OEM Ruger aluminum housings, the list goes on...

Not exactly the cheapest route, but a lot of pride comes from / with shooting a rifle you made yourself. My 10yr old son loves the one I built him.

Hope That Helps,

Good Luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had issues with Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs in the past out of my 10/22. High instance of stove piping, and issues with reliable feeding from 10 rd mags. Accuracy was never fantastic, and in every mag, it seemed like I had a round that was either over or under loaded (loud bang, or soft pop). Last time I used it, I had bought two 525 rd bricks from the same lot (before the ammo shortage).

Perhaps Remington has improved quality control, but it was enough of an issue to turn me off to their 22lr offerings. My 10/22 operates very well with most other brands, and very reliably with CCI Mini Mags (40gr RN or 36gr HP), and pattern really well with the bulk Winchester (i.e. 222, 333, 555 packs)

Since others say that a 10/22 should reliably cycle Remington/Federal/Winchesters, I suppose its possible mine may have a problem, but I'm in the camp that auto-loading 22s tend to be slightly picky on ammo for reliable feeding, ejection.

OP - Grab a handful of different types of 22 ammo brands...if you continue getting FTFs, FTEs with more than 30% of what you try, you may have a lemon and should contact Ruger.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts sometimes won't cycle one of my 10/22s but usually okay in the others. Never have feed errors on any other ammo, other than the cycling issues. None of mine do subsonic ammo when stock.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update with pics

Here are some pics of the issues that I have seen with my 10/22.

1. The raised molding on the backs of my magazines are not the same. One of them is wider and thicker than the other. Ruger replaced one of these magazines. I don't know which is the new one.

2. Stovepipe on ejection.

3. Failure to feed. The round was stuck in the magazine, not pushed all the way up. I had to use a screwdriver to pull it up. I took both mags apart, cleaned them and very lightly oiled them and then wiped them dry.

4. I tried the spent round bushing fix on one of the magazines.

5. I oiled the gun a bit more, at the recommendation of the gunsmith at the range. Nothing drastic.

I plan to go to the range tomorrow to test it out.

I asked Ruger about different ammo types with the 10/22. This is their response:

10/22`s work best with standard or high velocity 22 Long Rifle ammo with a muzzle velocity of at least 1000 feet per second. CCI Mini Mags are what we use to test. Subsonic will not cycle properly. Hollow points are ok. But truncated cone bullets may catch on the square shoulder. Stingers are ok but may have some feeding issues due to the longer cases. Stingers should not be used in the 10/22 models with the target barrel or tactical rifles.
Do not use 22 short, 22 long, 22 shot or 22 cartridges loaded with blunt-nosed, sharp-shouldered or explosive bullets. They will not function reliably and may jam the mechanism or discharge before being fully chambered.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
3 things
1. Your 10 round rotary mag has a tension adjustment that may need to be tweaked, especially if it is not allowing the bullet to get to the feed lips. Also needs to be cleaned regularly. I spray some cleaner into the mag, set it upside down on a cleaning mat and let it dry on its own. If clean and properly adjusted, good ammo should be 98% effective
2. 25 round mags use a different spring and are less reliable. Still should be more reliable than you describe, again properly cleaned and with "good" ammo. IOWEGAN has a post somewhere on here where he details how to polish and clean them. DO NOT hold the mag or rest the rifle on the mag while shooting. This will guarantee malfunctions.
3. .22LR ammo tends to be inconsistent. Even the best ammo can have a round once in a while that just doesn't sound or act the same; hence the 98% reliability benchmark. Obviously, the cheaper the ammo, the higher the failure rate.

I have the factory supplied 10 rounder and 2 BX-25 mags and my 10/22 has been very reliable. I have had a few failures, but they have typically been with cheap bulk ammo and are to a point that I can live with them (1 every other mag?) CCI Minimags I have found to work best, but I have not tried match grade ammo. I do clean my rifle and my mags every time I shoot. .22 is a dirty round

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

I went to the range and did some more testing with Golden Bullet, Thunderbolts and Minimags.

1. I tested two 10 rd magazines (50 rds each) and they had no problems with any of the ammo.
2. I tested two BX-25 magazines with each type of ammo. One of the magazines was modified with a brass bushing (cut down casing). I had failures with all ammo types with both magazines. The modified mag was no better. The Thunderbolt ammo was the worst, with around 4-5 FTE's and/or FTF's per full mag. The Golden Bullet was slightly better with 2-3 failures per mag. The Minimags had 0-2 failures per mag.
3. I tried holding forward pressure on the mags and saw some improvement, but it did not completely eliminate the failures.
4. I tested all ammo types with my SR-22. I had 3 FTF's with the Thunderbolts and no failures with the other two ammo types.

Conclusions:

1. I am done with Thunderbolt and probably the Golden Bullets as well.
2. The failure rate with the Minimags is still too high, so there is still a problem with the gun and/or the BX-25 magazines. Since there was some improvement when holding the magazines forward, I suspect it may be a problem with the spring tension on the magazine plunger and the excessive slop with the BX-25's.
3. I don't want to use the 10 rd magazines exclusively, if I don't have to. Ruger needs to fix this.

I will be calling Ruger to see what they want to do.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Update: went to the range yesterday and ran 255 rounds of Remington Goldens (part of a lot purchased at Wally World in April) through one of my Charger TDs

used:

- six Ruger 25-round mags
- one Ruger 15-round mag
- one Ruger 25-round dual mag
- two Tandenkross doublers (four Ruger 10-round mags)

all rounds went bang...

had three stove pipes with one of the 25-round mags...

i like the goldens - they're a bit higher velocity than i care for, but don't have a heavy wax coating... i really like the Remington Suppressors, which run well in all my .22 semiauto pistols

just my $0.02

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

I ordered the Kidd magazine latch stainless steel plunger with the heavy duty spring.

These issues appear to be mostly magazine related (excluding crap ammo) and are much worse with the BX-25 magazines. Since the ejection is done by the spent round striking the magazine edge and the angle of the round within within the wobbly magazine affects feeding of new rounds, I am hoping that a more stable magazine, held at the proper angle, will fix these problems.

I will report back after testing with the new parts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

I installed the Kidd plunger and spring and went to the range and tested using CCI Minimag ammo in my BX-25 magazines.
1. The very first round stovepiped a spent casing. The rest of the magazine fired with no problems.
2. I had three stovepipes with my second magazine.
3. The Kidd parts made no difference.
4. I borrowed a magazine from the range and had no failures. I shot another 25 rounds with the range mag and had no failures. I thought I now had some valuable information. I thought it MUST be a problem with my magazines.
5. I shot 25 rounds from each of my mags and had no failures.
6. I shot 25 more in the range mag with no failures.
7. I shout 25 rounds of Thunderbolt in each of my mags with no failures.

I showed the gun to the gunsmith at the range. He noticed that there was some wear on the tip of the ejector and that it was slightly bent. He replaced it (for free!) and tested it with 25 rounds from each of my magazines with no failures.

WTF??! Is it fixed? What changed?? The failures appeared to stop before replacing the ejector.

I am going to clean the gun again and go back for more testing. I may buy a Volquartzen ejector, at the recommendation of the gunsmith.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went to the range and did some more testing with Golden Bullet, Thunderbolts and Minimags.

1. I tested two 10 rd magazines (50 rds each) and they had no problems with any of the ammo.
2. I tested two BX-25 magazines with each type of ammo. One of the magazines was modified with a brass bushing (cut down casing). I had failures with all ammo types with both magazines. The modified mag was no better. The Thunderbolt ammo was the worst, with around 4-5 FTE's and/or FTF's per full mag. The Golden Bullet was slightly better with 2-3 failures per mag. The Minimags had 0-2 failures per mag.
3. I tried holding forward pressure on the mags and saw some improvement, but it did not completely eliminate the failures.
4. I tested all ammo types with my SR-22. I had 3 FTF's with the Thunderbolts and no failures with the other two ammo types.

Conclusions:

1. I am done with Thunderbolt and probably the Golden Bullets as well.
2. The failure rate with the Minimags is still too high, so there is still a problem with the gun and/or the BX-25 magazines. Since there was some improvement when holding the magazines forward, I suspect it may be a problem with the spring tension on the magazine plunger and the excessive slop with the BX-25's.
3. I don't want to use the 10 rd magazines exclusively, if I don't have to. Ruger needs to fix this.

I will be calling Ruger to see what they want to do.

I agree with all your conclusions.

I don't have any BX-25's yet but have numerous Ruger 10 rounders. Both my 10/22's and all my mags function flawlessly. My 10/22's are of 80's vintage and like others I ran thousands of rounds and brick after brick of whatever was on sale and had very few problems. I knew it was time to clean when I started getting jams.

Unfortunately it sounds like you got a lemon. I'm not going to try and second guess Ruger but it may be as simple as rough spots in the receiver or a weak spring. I would only run mini mags for testing and keep on Ruger till they get it right.

Oh yea, I would also never recommend oiling any mag. It's unnecessary and there is the potential to gather dirt and cause more problems that it may prevent.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts