Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found an online company that sells led cast bullets for........$13 per (100), $33 per (500') and $58 per (1000). They appear to be all led no copper coating. Should i stay away? This does sound like a great deal. Right? $58 for a thousand! This is for 9mm..

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I like lead bullets I think some indoor ranges won't allow them around here might be a California thing though. I hardly ever go to indoor range so I use lead bullets

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
One of my LGS sells Bear Creek Supply moly-coated lead bullets, 9mm is $30.99+T per 500. I use they're 9mm, 38/357mag and 45ACP for all my reloads.
Bear Creek Supply
P.O. Box 177
Waterfoed CA 95386

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Although you are much more familiar with copper jacketed bullets, rest assured, lead bullets have been around as long as guns have been. They are safe and usable. Most copper bullets have lead in the center.

I'm assuming that you are reloading them so I'd advise you to check on suggested bullet speed - it seems I recall seeing such data in Lymans Reloading Manual, but I know it's not in all of them. If you load them too hot your bore will lead up faster than if you load them for a slower bullet speed.

I shoot a lot of 45ACP lead bullets, I've cast and shot 10's of thousands of them. Been shooting lead for 40 years.

·
Banned
619 Posts
I use Missouri Bullet Co. cast lead bullets. They are 18 brinell so they can be loaded as fast as you're likely to want to go in 9mm. $58/1000 sounds pretty good but you should know what the brinell hardness rating is. ;)

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
That's a screaming deal. If they are good quality, go for it. Lead is about all I shoot.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I use Missouri Bullet Co. cast lead bullets. They are 18 brinell so they can be loaded as fast as you're likely to want to go in 9mm. $58/1000 sounds pretty good but you should know what the brinell hardness rating is. ;)
+1 check the hardness the softer they are the more leading you will get . I would call and get the brinell hardness .

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I like Xtreme bullets. Lower than Berrys(which I also use) free shipping. Both VERY good companies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup! Thanks , I ordered from Misouri bullet based on your response to my post.. The information that the site gives you had me sold. Websites that I looked at didn't give much info about the process and quality of the product. They got pretty technical. The prices are also very good.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've had good luck with Missouri Bullet Co. offerings in .44 and .45. Great quality and worth what they're charging. If they won't shoot accurately, no matter the cost, they're worthless. I'd try 100, then order big time if they work well through your guns. BTW, I've not had a lot of luck with lead alloy in 9mm, tho others say they do. I've been casting and loading for all of my handguns for 50 years, so it's not a case of not being familiar. Rod

·
Banned
619 Posts
Yup! Thanks , I ordered from Misouri bullet based on your response to my post.. The information that the site gives you had me sold. Websites that I looked at didn't give much info about the process and quality of the product. They got pretty technical. The prices are also very good.

Glad my response was useful even though I forgot to mention the tech data. I'm very glad you took the time to read up on it. It's very informative. ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive been researching and I'm a point where I'm getting close to start loading my own . I bought a press 2 weeks ago and its now all set and ready to go. I have the bullets on their way. Next step is primers and powder. The primers seem to ne no problem. There are so many brands of powder out there. I'm gonna take a run too Cabelas and choose one of the powders that have been recommended here. Does the powder come with the recommended ( grains ) to load 9mm? The press came with a chart and scale to test the powder loads. I know every powder will measure differently. This is obviously one of the most crucial parts of loading. I will not start loading until I get the correct load specs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ive been researching and I'm a point where I'm getting close to start loading my own . I bought a press 2 weeks ago and its now all set and ready to go. I have the bullets on their way. Next step is primers and powder. The primers seem to ne no problem. There are so many brands of powder out there. I'm gonna take a run too Cabelas and choose one of the powders that have been recommended here. Does the powder come with the recommended ( grains ) to load 9mm? The press came with a chart and scale to test the powder loads. I know every powder will measure differently. This is obviously one of the most crucial parts of loading. I will not start loading until I get the correct load specs.
The powder can most likely wont, but many manufactures have reloading data on their websites. For example here's a link to Alliant's site.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Their data is pretty specific to certain bullet brands, but I've found that it's a good starting point when you match up bullet type and weight. Even if the bullets are of a different brand.

A couple reloading manuals would be good to have on hand too.

Good Shooting.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Sometimes if you ask, the gunstore may have a pamphlet put out by the powder manufacturer that they will give you. Doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
If you have a pawn shop that is big into gun stuff, you can find "recent" loading manuals for just a few dollars. One of our local places has a rack of them for a couple bucks each. I wouldn't buy one ten years old, but 2 or 3 years old - sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts