Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Walmart today to return a item & get credit back which I was able to do. Wanting to use my credit to get a cheap scope for my Henry Lever action .22 rife. There was a Bushnell 4 power scope for .22's $29.95. My credit was for about the same. I got the scope & took it home, the darn scope rings are so so cheap! I ended up having to remove the scope rings to install the rings first then put the scope on. While tightening down the rings the darn screw on one of the rings when I tightened it down well it wore thru the darn scope ring the machined part of the ring the screw is suppose to seat against! Luckily I had another set of tip off scope rings that I installed & got the scope on my rifle! By the way yea it's a cheap scope but clear enough for my occasional use but geeze what cheap scope rings/mounts!! I guess I should have taken the scope back but then I would have either bought a different set of scope rings! Just wasn't in the mood to have to mess with it again!!:eek:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I usually spend as much on a scope as I do the rifle.
Me as well.
Old saying is..... You only get what you pay for..... ;)
My Ruger #1 was 1,360 AU$.
The Leupold scope for it was just under 1,000 AU$.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
303, this rifle was obtained in a trade, I agree with you to a point. My Ruger 10/22 has a $300.00 scope if it was new ( the scope)! But I bought it used in excellent cond. for $85.00! Where my Henry is not my main .22 rifle this scope is just fine, my thread was titled cheap scopes yes miss leading! I should have titled it cheap scope rings!! By the way my main hunting rifle has a Tasco 3-9x32 scope on it a older Tasco made in Japan! Used it for years harvested many deer with this rifle & scope. It's still on my deer rifle! Only paid $50.00 for it new, still clear as can be!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a habit of picking up a cheap scope as a SHTF backup a few years ago whin i bought my Mini 30 i thought i would use one till i could get a better one. The cross hairs broke out on one and the other would not hold zero. Each was about a $60 dollar scope. I learned my lesson. I have a Redfield on it now $150. 2K plus rounds never a problem.

·
Registered
17,381 Posts
I'd hate to spend money on a cheap scope and then realize that money could of went toward a good one. I say buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
good info all around here on this thread. i too bought the cheap bushnell scope. i'm wishing now i'd bought a more powerful scope, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the scope itself. you're right, however. the rings are another story. wouldn't stay mounted securely on mine for shit. ended up buying some nice burris rings that are totally solid and have done the job.

still wishing i had a higher power scope, though, and that my eye glasses would get here sooner.

another poster in another thread mentioned the barska 3-9x40 for around $30-40, and another mentioned simmons 3-9 x 32 in the same price range.

for those without cash to burn are these decent options? where exactly is the real difference in quality?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
303, this rifle was obtained in a trade, I agree with you to a point. My Ruger 10/22 has a $300.00 scope if it was new ( the scope)! But I bought it used in excellent cond. for $85.00! Where my Henry is not my main .22 rifle this scope is just fine, my thread was titled cheap scopes yes miss leading! I should have titled it cheap scope rings!! By the way my main hunting rifle has a Tasco 3-9x32 scope on it a older Tasco made in Japan! Used it for years harvested many deer with this rifle & scope. It's still on my deer rifle! Only paid $50.00 for it new, still clear as can be!
Thanks for clearing it up. I only use Weaver or Leupold rings. Some of the cheap scopes from Japan in the 60's and 70's are good but I prefer the vintage El Paso made Weaver scopes. I just hate seeing junk made in China on a rifle made in the USA.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have a 3-7 X 20 Tasco for my 10/22. It was way off zero out of the package, but zeroed okay and holds zero within a click when removed/replaced. Been using it going on three years, and I'm happy with it. I paid a big $15 for it.

Being 20mm, it's not a good scope for dim light, but looks more proportioned to the gun than the typical 30-40 mm would:

10/22 Sporter - Ruger Forum

·
"The Real Deal"
8,807 Posts
I too have given up on cheap scopes. I have had 2 simmons scopes one on a rifle I just got in a trade, and atleast a year ago the cross hairs turned to an x position instead of straight up and down, and would move while firing the gun. Years back I purchased my first Nikon, and since have not gone back to a cheap scope. The cheapest I go and this is price not quality is the Prostaff series Nikon makes, never had any issue with them and in the $200 price range. I perfer the buckmasters and monarch's, along with Leupolds, and Burris Eliminator I own. Non magnifed only has 4 or 5 options for me, Eotech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Burris, or Docter. Never had an issue with any of them I own. I learned you do get what you pay for, and buy once and forget the issues, thats why I have 5 or 6 BSA and simmons scopes laying around my shop from being replaced.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Had a lens fall out of a cheap scope I got at Big5 many years ago, it couldn't handle the severe recoil of my 10/22 lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lol, I haven't had much better luck with my $400 Burris.

Broken out of the box (windage knob did nothing and elevation only worked a half turn in either direction, reticle floated all over), paid to ship it back. We're now almost six weeks since and I haven't seen it.

I've called every couple weeks to check on the status. Last Wednesday I was told it had been "fixed" and shipped out on the previous Friday (2/1) and to expect it "any day". I called again today to see if I could get a tracking number since it hadn't turned up yet. Got the number, tracking info says it was actually shipped out on 2/6 (...the last day I called).

Called local USPS to see if it was sitting at the shop (tracking info wasn't up to date) and they told me that the zip code on the package was wrong. According to tracking it looks like it's going in the right direction, but with a bad zip code?

I now (or will shortly...hopefully) have a "fixed" "brand new" $400 scope that I bought a month and a half ago, and only had in my possession for three or four days before I sent it back.

To his credit, the guy I get on the phone (same one every time) has always been very helpful and friendly. But after this, I've decided I'm going with Vortex and never looking back.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,807 Posts
Man, that is crazy, Only Burris I own is the Eliminator laser range finder, ant its been a great scope and 0 issues. Has held its zero for atleast 3 years, I would buy another. Thats really crazy bout your ordeal though!

Lol, I haven't had much better luck with my $400 Burris.

Broken out of the box (windage knob did nothing and elevation only worked a half turn in either direction, reticle floated all over), paid to ship it back. We're now almost six weeks since and I haven't seen it.

I've called every couple weeks to check on the status. Last Wednesday I was told it had been "fixed" and shipped out on the previous Friday (2/1) and to expect it "any day". I called again today to see if I could get a tracking number since it hadn't turned up yet. Got the number, tracking info says it was actually shipped out on 2/6 (...the last day I called).

Called local USPS to see if it was sitting at the shop (tracking info wasn't up to date) and they told me that the zip code on the package was wrong. According to tracking it looks like it's going in the right direction, but with a bad zip code?

I now (or will shortly...hopefully) have a "fixed" "brand new" $400 scope that I bought a month and a half ago, and only had in my possession for three or four days before I sent it back.

To his credit, the guy I get on the phone (same one every time) has always been very helpful and friendly. But after this, I've decided I'm going with Vortex and never looking back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Henry .22 lever action also. I have been away from shooting for quite a while, so when I got the Henry last year I found that my eyes were not a sharp as they were in the mid sixties (who woulda thought it?)

Anyway, I found an inexpensive CenterPoint 3-9X32mm that was begging me to buy it.
It shot way to the right, but I was able to zero it after many turns of the adjustment screw.
I've shot maybe 200 -250 rds now and it seems to be holding up pretty well.
I haven't used it at extreme distances, but at 75 to 150 ft it's pretty good.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I have a Henry .22 lever action also. I have been away from shooting for quite a while, so when I got the Henry last year I found that my eyes were not a sharp as they were in the mid sixties (who woulda thought it?)

Anyway, I found an inexpensive CenterPoint 3-9X32mm that was begging me to buy it.
It shot way to the right, but I was able to zero it after many turns of the adjustment screw.
I've shot maybe 200 -250 rds now and it seems to be holding up pretty well.
I haven't used it at extreme distances, but at 75 to 150 ft it's pretty good.
I only buy Weavers and Leopolds and have never had a problem with any of them. I do have a couple Bushnells laying around but never use them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.