Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 10/22, SR22, AR15, and SR9 to the range yesterday and all of them ran great. Today I decided to take my 10/22 back after I put a cheap Walmart scope on it.

I picked up a Tasco 3-9X x 40mm scope. Took it to the range and it was about 2 feet left and 1 foot down out of the box @ 50 yards. OK, no problem, I'll just adjust it. Adjusted it as far right as I could and it was still 6" Left. I took it off and put it back on and the results were the same. I was not pleased even though I am aware that you get what you pay for.

I returned the Tasco and picked up a Centerpoint 4-16X x 40mm scope. I know it is not a high end scope, but I hope I can zero it better than the Tasco. Anyone have any opinion as to why the Tasco would not zero or any thoughts on Centerpoint scopes. And Yes, I know it is a sub $100 scope. I am not looking to put a $250 scope on my 10/22, I just want it to hold zero, be decent for long distance squirrel collecting, and punching paper from 25 to 100 yards.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had a Tasco on my 10/22 for several years with no problems. I also run Simmons scopes on my hunting rifles. Only had one go bad in many years and Simmons replaced it with a better model. I have friends who have had the same luck with their expensive scopes.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read a lot of good reviews on the Tasco scope and I was kicking myself while trying to zero it. I must have got a dud or did something wrong.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Do you have the combination scope base weaver or equivalent on your 10/22? Is it installed nice and tight with blue Locktite? You indicated you installed the offending scope twice. Was it nice and tight? Was it canted at all in the rings, or nice and level with he receiver. Try adjusting the scope at 25 yds.

I've used inexpensive scopes for years on some of my rifles. In fact I have a Simmons 4-12x40 on my target 10/22 that is working great.

·
Banned
402 Posts
?? did you zero the turrets before you started shooting ??
They don't always come zeroed, even if they have a hash mark and it's on zero,
doesn't always mean it's correct. You may have just run out of clicks.
I like to gently turn a turret all the way in one direction, then count the # of clicks in the other direction, then go back half way and your in the middle.
Just sayin, and or course like you said the turret has a lot going on under that little knob
and being of the less expensive variety it just could have been boogered.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I have two Tasco 3-7 X 20 rimfire scopes I gave $15 apiece for. One has about four year's use on my 10/22, while the other, bought as a spare, got used for two sessions.

They were a long way from sighted in new, but they centered well. They usually hold zero when removed and put back. I've never had to go more than two clicks.

I even pre-sighted them with a plastic bore sighting gadget that Tasco used to make. My LGS had a NOS one for 8 bucks. It got them within five clicks when I zeroed them at the range.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
You always have a greater risk of getting a lemon with a cheap scope since cheap scopes don't receive the quality control of higher priced scopes for the sake of keeping the price down. That doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get a lemon, of course, just that you might have to go through a couple to get a good one. I've had some cheap scopes that never gave me a single problem and I've had cheap scopes that were, like yours, bad out of the box.

Not sure what your budget is, but a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x is about as good as it gets for the dollar. Okay, not cheap, but not outrageous, either. Optics are terrific. Have several of these on my 22s and never a glitch.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have had good and bad with Tasco. I do not know how they operate: do they make their own stuff or just stamp other folks stuff and sell whatever seems profitable for them at the time.
One of the best rifle scopes I have ever had is a "world class" scope on my M77 25-06. One of the worst (right there with a BSA) was a 3x9 that literally fell apart at the range.

I am trying a Simmons prohunter now on a Savage 308 and I hope it works well.

Cheap is cheap. I seem cheaper than most.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Walmart negotiates price on everything. More accurately they dictate the wholesale price they will pay. The manufactures cut the quality down to sell to Walmart and maintain profit margin. Many products are made cheaply specifically for Walamart. The consumer is the big looser because they often get a much lesser product for just slightly less than a better product at another retailer. Some would say you get what you pay for. Not even this is really true at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Tasco/Simmons/Centerpoint/etc. are generally inexpensive scopes. But that doesn't mean they're inaccurate. All of them should work fine, especially on a rimfire rifle. I'd swap it to a different one (you have) and make sure it's mounted correctly and securely.

I have yet to have one perfectly aligned out of the box, but none of the less expensive scopes ever took me more than a half dozen rounds to get me dialed in.

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Banned
402 Posts
Is this such a hard question to answer ??
?? did you zero the turrets before you started shooting ??
They don't always come zeroed, even if they have a hash mark and it's on zero,
doesn't always mean it's correct. You may have just run out of clicks.
I like to gently turn a turret all the way in one direction, then count the # of clicks in the other direction, then go back half way and your in the middle.
Just sayin, and or course like you said the turret has a lot going on under that little knob
and being of the less expensive variety it just could have been boogered.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is this such a hard question to answer ??
No, it is not a hard question to answer. Apparently you expected an answer ASAP. My apologies for having other stuff to do that takes priority over my hobby (i.e., take care of my kids, spend family time with the wife, cut firewood, and a job).

I did apply thread lock the rail and it is secured. I have mounted a number of scopes successfully in my days. When I stated I installed the scope again I meant that I removed the scope from the rings and the rings from the rail. I then proceeded to put everything back together properly and snug everything down. And yes, the turrets were zeroed.

I used the Centerpoint after work today and it was much nicer. A little big for the 10/22, but it works. The illumination was hard to see in sunlight, but I doubt I'll ever use it anyways.

·
Registered
35 Posts
scope

Bad scope or maybe barrel droop. Some 10-22s need a mount with built in elevation or a barrel mounting block that lifts the barrel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 4x16 40 mm Centerpoint (70 $) scopes are actually an excellent cheap scope. They are my favorite cheap scopes, its just that they are big and bulky. I have accumulated 4 and they all work well. The 3x9 centerpoint (54 $) scope is not nearly as sharp and clear and i do not consider it a bargain.
In a side by side comparison with a Nikon prostaff BDC 3x9 50 mm scope (230 $) the 4x16 Centerpoints are brighter and clearer. They are designed for air rifles and are tough as nails. I have not bought a Tasco scope for many years as they all eventually failed in some way. Good luck Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
You may have just recieved a bad scope. My buddy has a tasco that I like better than my nikon buckmaster. I know his scope isn't made with the same quality materials as my nikon, but for some reason I just really like his scope. As far as the centerpoint as long as you like the sight picture and it is either paralax free or has an adjustment you should be good. I think sometime people worry to much about the scopes they use and how much they spend on them. If your not shooting out past 500 yds or a competitive shooter then in my opinion the scope dosent matter that much. That is just my opinion though and I know alot of people will argue with my last statement.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The 4x16 40 mm Centerpoint (70 $) scopes are actually an excellent cheap scope. They are my favorite cheap scopes, its just that they are big and bulky. I have accumulated 4 and they all work well. The 3x9 centerpoint (54 $) scope is not nearly as sharp and clear and i do not consider it a bargain.
In a side by side comparison with a Nikon prostaff BDC 3x9 50 mm scope (230 $) the 4x16 Centerpoints are brighter and clearer. They are designed for air rifles and are tough as nails. I have not bought a Tasco scope for many years as they all eventually failed in some way. Good luck Tom
Appreciate your willingness to share your exerience as these are three brands in addition to tru glo I've been lookng at. Thx:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having similar issues with the very same scope. I tried the rifle with iron sights and I was more accurate so the rifle isn't the issue plus I just picked up a TRS-25 Bushnell optic which was relatively cheap for an optic and is dead on as well.

I've yet to shoot at a target out to a 100 yards with the optic but I'll give it a go tomorrow just to get a feel for it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts