Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals...I love Ruger weapons. They are my favorite manufacturer by far and they outnumber all other makes in my collection by a wide margin. However, I must confess that one of my life long dreams has been to own on early production, royal blue Colt Python.

Well wouldn't you know, today I walked in my LGS and noticed an old Colt box. At first I paid it no attention but later someone mentioned that it was in fact a Python. I opened the box and was literally taken aback. A never fired, and I suspect never cocked, 4" Python. Original papers, tag, and boxes all present and in excellent condition. Apparently some young fellow inherited it and either not knowing, or not caring what he had, sold it to the store. I could have purchased more than a couple of Rugers for the price, but damn that is one sexy gun.

To say that I am in trouble is an understatement. The bride has made it clear it can come home but only after a significant investment in her wardrobe...to which I of course acquiesced! An investment piece to be sure...my only dilemma now is shoot it or not? I have never owned a true safe queen but this could possibly be one. Opinions welcomed.

I will post better pics when I get it home. Check one off the list!!

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Wow...what an excellent acquisition!

There are few circumstances where I would HIGHLY recommend NOT firing it...but I think this is one! I suggest keeping it 'clean-n-pristine'...whatever the wardrobe costs are!

BTW...when we first got married, I asked if I could purchase a motorcycle, to which my wife replied, "As long as I get a 4-wheeler!" Easiest deal I ever made...and we're still happily making them!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Gunpoor, First of all - I hate you. Secondly, you should now be required to change your user name to "Gunrich." Thirdly, your question is a really, really good one - to shoot or not to shoot. How about throwing up a poll? You may have crossed the line into "guns too valuable to shoot" territory. It's a cruel twist, isn't it? "You may have the gun of your dreams but you may not shoot it." Bwahahahahah!!

Wave

·
Registered
998 Posts
Congrats on your new aquisition! That model of Colt's Royal Blue Python is valued at around $1500 to $2000 respectively, being truly unfired some may even pay a bit more. It's not an anniversary model or special commemorative issue so I would say just shoot it and enjoy it as it's not a "rare" Colt model, the Python is actually quite plentiful. They are very nice high quality revolvers and they shoot quite accurately as well! I personally would see it as a waste to just let it sit idle in a safe but that's just me.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Thats a tough one..........I'd shoot it! I recently found an unfired S&W model 57 circa 1975 in the presentation case with all the papers and cleaning kit. I shoot it!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful gun. My dad has a WWII Colt 1911 in original condition. It was given to him by my grandfather and every year on the anniversary of his passing, he takes my brother and I to the range to shoot it. It's the only time it leaves his safe. Maybe you can do a "once a year" thing with it as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts