Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin and I were just about the same age, and of course boys being boys we pretty much got into anything and everything. And we were always out with the dogs, it was just part of what we did when school was out. This one day its a pretty good story I laugh every time I tell this story.
Boys in those days wore Tshirt's and blue jeans and tenni shoes, this one day we found some Hucka-Berries so we decided we were going to put on our war paint well it was war paint alright. Out in the hot sun and sweating and all that stuff had stain our skin. We had it all over our faces and upper bodies and arms as we had taken our T shirts off.
The women folks just about had a cow and a hlf when they saw us, of all days to do this was Saturday, and Sunday was the next day and we had to go to church no getting out of it. Those women did their very best to get that stain off of us but no use it had to wear off and it wasn't going to wear off over nite. We got a good talking to but no whippin. We was glad of that, and of course that morning while we were in church us boys had to sit in the front of the church, actually we wanted too any ways. I remember that minister giving the sermon that morning had a big smile on his face the whole time as looked at us.
After the service ya know he is always there to greet folks as they leave the church. And of course he just hugged us and told us what good boys we were and made us feel good.
Today I can remember this story as if it was yesterday, I hope some of ya'll will share some of your stories with the rest of us.
I enjoy sharing these stories with ya'll and glad that ya'll enjoy reading them too.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I enjoy looking back...times were hard but hard's not bad, and it made for strong men...there was work, but the work done in a cheerful attitude was fun, too....try to tell a kid that nowadays, and see what happens....we were good boys, but boys aren't always good...by definition.....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I look back on my childhood and can remember all the things we thought up to do and get into--
seems like we spent more time "thinkin" and not so much "doin". Seems like no matter how much
we came up with to do wasn't really "BAD" We never got into real bad trouble and had lots of
fun and good times. Nowadays----??? I guess I just don't understand modern generation kids.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Love the old stories. I remember as a kid, me and two neighbor boys trapped in the winter and hunted with dogs at night to get hides to sell for spending money. Things would go pretty good until we would catch a skunk and skin it out. The teacher would make us set in the back of the schoolhouse by the door until the scent wore off.

Another story it reminds me of: My Dad and Uncles were baling hay in a creek bottom field, and me and two cousins were playing. There was a cane break around part of the field so we were playing cowboy and Indians and cut some canes and sharpened them and was throwing them as spears. Somehow one of my cousins ran in front of where the other threw the cane and it stuck in his back between his shoulders. He started running and hollering and my Dad had to run him down and hold him while he pulled the cane out. He just poured a little kerosene on it that he had and we kept playing.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those were the times we enjoyed and we love to remember I am so glad that we don't have our childhood now. I wouldn't want to be a child now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts