Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a new Choate hand guard for my 186 series Mini 14. The spring clip that holds the guard onto the barrel is obviously designed to fit the newer Minis with the tapered barrel. I tried pinching it in a little but that didn't work. I thought about shimming it with some aluminum from a beer can. Does anyone know of a similar guard that might fit or know of a proven fix for my problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thats wierd , the Choate fit my 196 just fine. Try squeezing the spring clamp with some good pliers . That same handguard went on my 582 and 583 mini also. No problems. Are you sure that its a Choate and not a Fed Ordnance handguard, I got one of those off Amazon for a friend and it dident fit for crap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats wierd , the Choate fit my 196 just fine. Try squeezing the spring clamp with some good pliers . That same handguard went on my 582 and 583 mini also. No problems. Are you sure that its a Choate and not a Fed Ordnance handguard, I got one of those off Amazon for a friend and it dident fit for crap.
No, it's a Choate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you get that hand guard to fit? I ordered one direct from choate and dude that answered my emails assured me it would work just fine on my 187 series............I sure hope so

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I wear the pants in my house but what she doesn't know won't hurt her. :) I'm tryin' to decide if I want take a chance and order another one for my 186 series, hopin' it will fit this time. I can't afford to buy another Mini to put on my Choate. :)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I bought one a few months ago to put on my 189 series Mini-30 and it fit fine. But all Mini-30's have had the larger .625" barrel, and might be a little fatter in the chamber area as well. Do like Misfire said and pinch the clip in with some pliers.

·
Exalted One
1,735 Posts
Got one for my 181-series mini. Fit just fine. Used some sandpaper to smooth the edges. Took about five minutes. Looks great and will certainly help with barrel cooling.

Being a southpaw, I just have to be a bit more cautious with placement of my right thumb...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts