Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been shopping for a 4" ss gp, but in case I find a 6" first, I'de like to know what tools I'de need to cut and crown the barrel. I figure I can get a gunsmith to attach a sight. Is cutting a barrel something a handy guy can do? I have no lathe etc. just hand tools.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I would just buy a barrel and change it and sell the other on ebay. Not sure what kind of gun you are talking about. Cutting the barrel is not a problem on a steel gun but full stainless requires different tools. Crowning requires a specialized tool or lathe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Sam!! it will be a SS. So I was wondering how one indexes the barrel to be both tight and lined up properly? shims of some sort? its a gp100

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
One mills a bit off the front of the frame where the barrel shank contacts the frame to insure tightness and proper indexing. While a new barrel is an appealing idea to change one requires a frame wrench to avoid botching up the frame when tightening the barrel. Not something that is cost effective unless one has a lot of GP's they plan on rebarreling. Last barrel I had changed cost around $110 and the barrel/cylinder gap also needs setting as the replacement barrel probably will be different than the original. All in all probably easier to just cut the barrel and have it crowned and a new sight put on. One can even use the original Ruger interchangeable sight setup. Iowegun had some input on this and how to do it sometime back on the forum. It might be easier to just sell the gun and buy the desired configuration.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
It's a lot of effort for little gain, and you would also have to move the front sight............IMO not worth it, just look around for a 4" or learn to love the 6"! GP100's are addictive and you'll probably end up with a 4" and a 6" anyway:) I started with a 6" GP100 and now I have several of each barrel length, and also a 3".

Most people only cut barrels when the desired length is not available, like those who have had 7.5" Super Redhawks cut to 4", etc.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Actually, if I were going through the time, effort and expense of chopping a GP100 barrel, I would make a cool custom 3" and have a neat, adjustable sight 3" GP100:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts