Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a co-worker the other day and he asked what he should get his wife for Christmas. I stated that we don't exchange gifts, we wait till after the holidays for the sales then get what we want. He thought that was not right and that we've been married too long............

So my question is what do you do, exchange gifts or not?

·
Registered
12,850 Posts
TBH not much interest in the commercialized Christmas holidays here.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Wife and I normally exchange a small gift or two, with a nice simple meal. This year, circumstances are slim, and a large veterinary bill topped it off. We have two West Highland terriers, one is diabetic and needed surgery to save an eye.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wife and I exchange a few small gifts on Christmas morning. We enjoy Christmas eve the most. After the service at church - about 6:30pm, we drive around and look at the lights and then come home for some special food of some sort - usually shrimp and veggie pizza. We usually sit up and watch "Ralphie" try and shoot his eye out on the "Christmas Story Marathon", and then listen to some meaningful Christmas music and just relax.

This year my wife wanted a Kuerig coffee maker, so we got a deal and bought it already. I wanted a reloading press and I bought that.

We don't go in for the commercialization - no Mercedes or Audi with a bow on it sitting in the driveway for us!!

Jesus is the reason for the season for us.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Nothing big. Our two boys will be home, the oldest one flying in from California. We will do the Christmas mass at our Epsicopal Church, then get up Christmas morning and share some small gifts and everybody check their stockings. Then it will be time for the Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas everybody!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
We have 10 adult kids and a herd of grandkids, about 75% will drop in over the Holidays for brief visits. We do small cash in a card gifts for the grand kids but do not buy presents for the adults, or each other. If we need something we get it when we want it or when we find a bargain price, The Holidays are a time for a religious experience for her, I take care of the pets and guns !

·
Registered
342 Posts
For years my wife and I elected not to exchange gifts because we could only afford to buy for our kids and wanted to do the most for them we could. To me Christmas is best viewed through a child's eyes anyway.

Now we do exchange. But I personally feel it is up to the couple and what works for them. Nothing wrong with waiting on the big sales. Beside, Christmas is not as much about the commercialized gift giving as it is about the TRUE meaning.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
i wish to share my thoughts and no harm is intended. many years ago we were helping some church members entertain for residents at a home for mentally challenged folks. i was hit in the head by the realisation that these people never see us except once per year then its a big todo. i decided then that we would not make a big deal out of the commercial side of Christmas. it is only my wife and i now, so we do smaller things all along and give smaller gifts along as well. Christmas to us is all year long as living a Christ like life is all year long. we are much happier and as a second thought, do not have to fight crowds and traffic any more. may God bless all of you and your families as you celebrate our Saviours birth in the manner of your choice. Christmas is special in Dixie.

·
Registered
717 Posts
My wife and I do not do Christmas.
Neither of us see any sense in being pressured by the retailers and 87 billion
advertisements to buy stuff. We do not worship the great God of Cash Registers.

During the year if we want something, we get it. We do that without being told we can't live without it,
it's on sale right now for 50% off or that it is being discontinued and if we don't buy it now it will be gone.

It is a much more relaxing way to do things I think.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its all about the kids in my family. But I can see waiting for sales and saving some cash.
I bought "Sixguns by Keith" the '61 edition and gave it to my wife to wrap for me and put under the tree. I can't wait....

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
My bride of forty years and I exchange gifts. They are generally something not expensive and we need or want. Practical. I try to make or find gifts that mean something to her. Last Christmas I copied and photoshopped a photo of her father, a WW II vet who died when she was five years old. I placed the photo, his 48 star flag, his patches, awards and Purple Heart in a triangle shadow box from a craft shop. The box wasn't expensive and contents were stored in a cardboard box in the attic.

In general we tend to be very practical.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
For my GF and I it's mostly about the "kids". (Even though the youngest is 14 and the oldest is 24.) At this stage the young 'uns mostly want gift cards anyway, since I have no idea what music/books/movies/video games/fashions they're into anyway.
I love to surprise my beloved with something she's not expecting, and I couldn't care less if I get a single thing.
Just getting a second chance at a great family is a gift I cherish every day.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
We don't make a big effort buying for each other. I bought one small gift (online) for my wife.
She does not buy anything for me, but I ordered a nice folding knife for myself.

What we do is...
I bought a bunch of toys to take to our local Harley shop tomorrow for the US Marines to distribute to needy kids.
And I bought blankets for the "blankets for the needy" collection bin at the gym I go to.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
dear wife and I hitched 19 years but I still git a panic on if dunna have a A B & C gift list its important to me and I suspect her that I show considered gift ideas its not always hard or pricey but this year its getting close and I gots only my B & C gifts still seaching for the A and my minds a blank.
hmmm sigh still nuthin
stand by I'll let you know
wait oh wot narh still nuthin

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I've been married 18 years and my wife and I exchanged 3 times. We have no children and really hate shopping in crowds. We allow ourselves a budget and buy ourselves some things we ordinarily would not buy. I nearly used my allotment at last weeks gun show. She is slowly but surely chiseling away at hers.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
My wonderful wife, Sonya and i have bin maried 29 years and we still exchange gifts for Christmas. It is hard because i usuall don want anything and she get what ever she wants during the year and her birthday is in November. One year we were working on our old house and purchased each other power tools that we needed to accomplish our project :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.