Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
7,968 Posts
I may take a trip next week and check out that #3 they have locally.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,511 Posts
It’s a gun I don’t need but we’re not talking about need 😉

Reactions: Phish

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The Wyatt Earp should be arriving this Friday. I wanted a companion for it so I ordered this. It’s an Uberti Cattleman Trainer, 12 shot .22LR, 3.5” Barrel.

It won’t be a perfect match but thought I would make a nice little cross-draw companion. They both have blued steel cylinders, barrels and grip frames, walnut grips and color case hardened frames. This one looks like it has checkered grips. I’ll have to evaluate it when it gets here. May have to change those.

My .44 Buntline has my 6” NAA Hogleg mini revolver as a companion. If you haven’t noticed by now, I have to do everything in pairs, however, carrying two 10” revolvers is a bit over the top... This is my compromise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I almost forgot to update this thread...

My first impressions. It’s beautifully made. Action is very light compared to my Ruger (no transfer bar in the Uberti, no need for a heavier action) and very smooth. Sights were what appeared to be right on at 30 yards. The super thin sight on the old models is a challenge to see and would easily disappear against a dark background. With a 10” barrel at close range will likely get you close just pointing it in the general direction, haha!

This one was a very close representation of the old model 1880 Colt we compared it to. The cylinder pin retainer screw is a thumb screw but the box includes a recessed screw like the old Colt if you wish to make it unnoticeable. The thumb screw does not want to stay in place. A rubber doughnut washer would likely fix that issue.

I chronographed the Armscor cowboy loads we were shooting. Manufacturer says 800fps. They are moving between 925-950fps out of this 10” barrel. The difference takes the bullet from 362 to 511 ft lbs of energy.

The weight difference between this Cimarron Buntline 45 and the Ruger Buntline 44 magnum SBH was a little over 12oz. Might not seem like much but imagine the recoil of a 255gr 45 Colt round at 950fps having the same felt recoil of a 240gr 44 magnum running at 1280fps. Of the 15rds I fired, at least 2 cracked the knuckles. I am sure much of that has to do with the recoil impulse lasting much longer, being over 2x longer than that of a 4-5/8” 45 Colt, nearly 2x that of my 5.5” Blackhawks.

The lighter weight makes the gun “seem” much smaller than the 44, even though the OAL is only 1/2” less and grip is only 1/4” shorter (remember, my 44 is now a Bisley). My middle son is in love with this Cimarron

I have to admit, this gun has rekindled my appreciation for the Colt 1873 model. The rounded walnut grips add to the comfort. The color case hardening is just gorgeous as is the blueing. How well it holds up remains to be seen. 15rds was enough to remove much of the blueing in the cylinder gap. I’ll be more in a position to comment on the durability of materials after 500rds or more. I’ll likely be buying more from Cimarron/Uberti.

Compared to my 44 magnum Super Blackhawk.

Beautiful color case hardening.

Pure silver shield inlaid in beautiful walnut grips.

Grips were nicely fitted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Btw, wife says this is my anniversary present... my last 2 anniversary presents...

I do have a cool wife...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts