Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is not a "Minefield" thread to discuss specific political issues. I don't need to link to, or deeply describe, any of the recent attacks, but I'm sure you've seen them. E.g., the guy in the blue shirt being attacked by a mob that had been tearing down a statue -- chasing him down the street, shouting "Get his license plate number!" and then knocking him to the ground. Or just today another one of a guy being beaten and kicked by a bunch of hoodlums at a convenience store. And we could describe lots of incidents over the years where someone took a wrong turn in a car or semi onto the wrong street at the wrong time, and found themselves surrounded by a mob and being dragged out of their vehicles.

This is certainly changing my perspective on the so-called Wonder Nines with double-stack magazines filled with 15+ rounds of 9mm. I always respected them but found equal value in single-stack pocket nines, and single stack 45s like the 1911. Most of the attacks I ever envisioned as a potential security risk involved the stereotypical lone home burglar, or one or two carjackers, or a lone nutcase snapping and "going postal" in public or in a workplace.

Now, I don't think I'm off base in saying that the risk of a mob attack is much higher than in past decades.

Even if the 9mm has less so-called stopping power than a .45, that's not the only determinant in our current environment. With these mobs, you are at higher risk of being kicked or clubbed to death than you are of getting into a stereotypical "gunfight" with an armed assailant.

If I won a raffle today and you offered me my choice of a 1911 or a cheap Ruger Security Nine, I'd probably walk away with the high-capacity 9mm.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,573 Posts
“The Second Amendment is timeless for our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the state.”
--- Tiffany Madison

You are not off base at all. Sad but true things have escalated and one would hope cooler heads can prevail.
I can relate here. These past episodes of unrest and social re-adjustment come with some reality adjustment. Our SR9, SR9c, 9E and PCC9 all take the same 17 round mags and we now have many filled mags at the ready. My choice is too the 1911 but the 9's are on stand by so we can access other fire power if needed.
*For some reason we have fellow Americans willing to reach out and harm anyone that does not agree with them. They too seem to feel the need to take anything they want and destroy what they want. Not a very good situation to be in.
*Our state capital has been vandalized and we get warnings they will not stop with just looting downtown.
*We hope to never have to defend our selves but I will not sit by and let my family get harmed in any way. The double stacks do come in handy and all this does give another reason to have a AR and other means of defense.
*I hope for nothing but the best for all but I do feel strongly the need to prepare in everyway for anything that will come into our lives. Protect the ones you love at all cost. When you loose a loved one it is very hard to recover from.
Sorry for the ramble!
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
... Our SR9, SR9c, 9E and PCC9 all take the same 17 round mags and we now have many filled mags at the ready. ...
Yep. Exactly what I'm saying. The debates over 9mm versus .40 S&W versus .45 ACP knockdown power should take a back seat to magazine capacity and magazine interchangeability.

I've seen the sort of yobs who make up these groups of rioters and neo-Marxists. It would not take much power to "knock them down". :D And they are opportunistic cowards who run at the risk of getting shot. But God help you if you ever run out of ammunition.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,573 Posts
I love .45 and .40 as a choice personally. I have several family members that run 9mm and are only practiced in the strikers so it made a obvious choice to have our first tier based on the 9mm. The fact that all our tier 1 responses can use the same magazines and ammo for now is what we go with. I am more liking to my 357/38's but not all family members like to train or practice with them as much and the revolvers do take more reload time. You are correct these mobs come at you in numbers and the climate has changed. Again we hope this threat goes away but these people have been supported by Soros money, Hollywood, corrupt politicians and the media for decades. What's to stop them now that they have made some grounds for their social re-adjustment. What happens if a outside attack comes and we have been so weakened from the inside. Time to wake up and support our Constitution by any means. Do not defund the police but defend the rule of law!
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,573 Posts
With what's going on today I switched from my single stack Mossberg MC1sc, double stacked MC2 came out 2 weeks latter. Boy was I pissed. With being said, now carry my SR9 with a extra mag in my pocket. Praying that it will never leave my holster.
Glad to hear from you Nam Vet! Hope all is well as can be. I agree and Pray too that my tools never have to leave the holster! Take care of yourself and be safe! Enjoy this day when you can...Rick

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Funny this discussion starts today. I was thinking along these lines last night and again this morning.
Feral, like you, I like the 1911, but I also have a couple of striker fires 9's.
I typically carry a Shield 9mm with a seven round mag and no spare. This "replaced" my RAPC 9mm due to the thinness and the weight. I am thinking of going back to the RAPC with it's 12 round mag and keeping the spare 17 rounder handy.

·
Registered
492 Posts
OPs post is on point, imho. I've thought this way since I started to edc...around 10 years ago. More is better. Not sure where the idea ever came from that an 'issue' would only ever be 1 v 1. Maybe it's my own personal experiences. To each their own. :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I bought a larger capacity 9mm a couple months back, added some new sights, and cleaned up the internals a bit get get a smoother trigger. I have been putting off taking it to the range but I am making a point of going this weekend and putting a few hundred rounds through it and start carrying it.

I have always carried a Sig P938 but the recent happenings have also made me reconsider moving to a higher capacity gun...I have a holster ready to go and everything. Now just have to get used to carrying IWB vs Pocket Carry.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OPs post is on point, imho. I've thought this way since I started to edc...around 10 years ago. More is better. Not sure where the idea ever came from that an 'issue' would only ever be 1 v 1. Maybe it's my own personal experiences. To each their own. :)
In all fairness, there are a lot of deadly physical altercations that are just one or two yobs. ("Yob" is an excellent British term, BTW, for uncultured hooligans. A perfect description of what we're seeing now.)

A single stack .45 is a great tool for that kind of job. Look at the incident with the Texas church shooter who whipped out a shotgun and started taking out parishiners. If you're pulling out your CCW piece and going up against someone firing slugs from a shotgun, it's hard to beat a .45 ACP.

I'm just saying that times seem to be changing in ways that favor the Wonder Nine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
We agree :) . I'm in with bubba....better to have and not need than need and not have....but that's always been the case.

·
Super Moderator
21,209 Posts
I actually bought another holster so I could switch to my Sig P320 SC in .40 S&W. It holds 10+1 with the flush fit mag. I carry a spare Compact mag which is 12+1 with the X Grip adapter (for SC) so I have plenty of 180 gr goodness.

I will do everything possible to avoid a physical confrontation and get out of town. I am on blood thinners so can't take a beating but if the loonies come after me I will defend myself.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, guess I'm certainly not the only one thinking this way.

I don't want to appear naïve as if we've never gone through riots or civil unrest before. I know the 1960s were times of change marked by some domestic terrorism of sorts, but I wasn't around then so I don't know if what we see today is really comparable.

I have a gut feeling that the mobs now are a lot more vicious and unpredictable, and less rooted in basic Christian values of normalcy and mercy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
No concealed carry in New Jersey. I have a GP100 six shot 357 for home defense. Don't care for polymer pistols,that being said I'm now considering a 9 mm for the extra firepower.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It would be better if you had not started with poor information. The "blue shirt guy" was provoking and brandishing a weapon in front of a crowd he disagreed with. Now what sort of response would you expect in the same scenario if it was you doing the brandishing. He was an idiot.

That being said all my carry weapons are high capacity, and most not 9s....

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
The Hellcat, Glock 26 and 30S have been at my side quite a few times. Along with a spare mag or two.

Reactions: mrmike7189
1 - 20 of 121 Posts