Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I guess great minds think alike. I've always been a 1911 and revolver man. Lately I've been carrying either an M&P9 2.0 Compact (15 rounds) or and HK VP9 (15 rounds). These are troubling times. Law enforcement is getting their hands tied and the snowflakes are doing their best to limit them even further. It may be up to each of us to make sure our family and neighbors are safe. I sure don't want to see it come to that, but I am prepared if it does. Be safe my friends.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,723 Posts
The “mobs” have been nonviolent here. Yes, some public property got trashed, but it has been good overall, with nonviolent protests and largely cooperation with local police.

I think the 24-hour news cycle, left and right, demands hyping this situation.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,292 Posts
Among the restrictions in California are the 10-round mag and can only carry what’s listed on your CCW card, maximum of 3–I have 2 listed.
While my SR9C has two spare mags, recent events have made me decide to carry both guns, one IWB and the other off body in a backpack. I’m now looking at ankle holsters so I don’t carry off body.

I have a gut feeling that the mobs now are a lot more vicious and unpredictable, and less rooted in basic Christian values of normalcy and mercy. -FeralCatKillr

My wife saw them in the news and described them as evil.

·
Super Moderator
21,202 Posts
The riots in the 1960's/1970's were much more deadly and destructive. In the 1967 Detroit riots alone there were 43 killed and 347 injured. I remember them well as I was in Basic Training and AIT at Fort Dix in 67. We took riot training in AIT and were told we all the regular army was in Vietnam and we were it for the east coast. We never got called and when I went back to my Reserve unit we took riot training as well.

This is actually a decent summary that breaks it out by year:

Sorry for the thread drift but what you have now is people walking up to some elderly person walking on the streets and unloading on them. I don't remember that happening back in the 60's/70's. Situation awareness is even more critical for all but especially for those of us who have transitioned into our "golden years". Be aware and be ready.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am carrying what I always have carried. But, I am being a little smarter where I choose to travel and spend my money.

Same here!

Still relying on 8+1 in my 1911, I do (these days) make sure that there is an extra mag at hand (which was rarely the case in the past). I haven't seen reason to pass south of the NH border in a few years so my chances of encountering a 'mob' are probably much less than in other places. Admittedly, I have given thought to having an AR or my Mossy 930 (9+1 12 ga) in the truck, I don't get around well enough that I am ever far from it, but while possible it is very far from likely that I might need it. Then again, much of my employed life involved 'fixing' things that everyone 'knew' would never happen to them.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine on my belt plus a Sig P938 9mm and a spare magazine in my pocket in the local area. If I have to go to the Portland Metro area, I switch the 1911 for an SA XDM .40 S&W (16+1) or SA XDM 10mm (15+1) with two to four spare magazines on my belt.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Well, guess I'm certainly not the only one thinking this way.

I don't want to appear naïve as if we've never gone through riots or civil unrest before. I know the 1960s were times of change marked by some domestic terrorism of sorts, but I wasn't around then so I don't know if what we see today is really comparable.

I have a gut feeling that the mobs now are a lot more vicious and unpredictable, and less rooted in basic Christian values of normalcy and mercy.
I was around then and the crowds have not changed. What HAS changed is the advent of social media spurring these events to other parts of the country and pushing further out in time. In some cases, the riots are "better organized" if you will. It also doesn't help that everyone with a voice is either sympathizing or kowtowing to the general assumption that these protests are warranted. Are there problems in police departments? YES, just as there are problems in every large organization, especially our (or any) government. Are there bad cops? YES, but most are not and all are suffering because of the evil actions of a very small minority.

·
Exchequer
4,429 Posts
Back to the point of the OP's post. All the more reason we should all embrace and celebrate diversity by owning a myriad of firearms capable of dealing with a myriad of situations.

I have not changed my daily carry piece (a single stack 9mm). But I'm not attending any protests or going to areas where trouble is likely to start.

·
Super Moderator
4,049 Posts
Carry gun is the same. 1911 38 Super. The gun I carry in the console of my truck has changed because of recent events. It used to be a 3" SP101. Now it's CZ75 for the exact reasons listed by the OP. A 357 revolver is just fine for a one on one/two encounter but a hi-cap double stack is what's needed for a mob encounter.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
I’ve moved from my trusty LC9 to a Glock 27 and in the backpack is a S&W M&P in .40 S&W. With two extra mags for each, that’s over 70 rounds. If that doesn’t get me clear of trouble, then I’m in deeper than I should have allowed myself to get.

Also, I’ve “up-gunned” the bedside table to an AR-15 with four 30-round magazines. Not much ANTIFA activity in the immediate area of my home, yet, but that can change in a minute.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I've been lucky enough to avoid the occupied zones by staying home.
But around home I have upgraded to an "other" stuffed with 6 rounds of #1 buck.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Also, I’ve “up-gunned” the bedside table to an AR-15 with four 30-round magazines. Not much ANTIFA activity in the immediate area of my home, yet, but that can change in a minute.
Anyone considering carrying a BUG also?
I think everybody is considering everything. And to Laiderj's point, wise people are taking precautions. My bedside table gun switched from a pistol to a shotgun with slugs. My AR which was in the safe is now close at hand. My neighbor who isn't much of a "gun guy" and only owns one pistol says it hasn't been out of the safe in well over a year... until now. Now it's by his bedside table at night, following some "protests" near our neighborhood. And, as many of you have pointed out, the first and best course of action has been to re-evaluate where we go as a family and individuals and when. Even remotely political bumper stickers have been taken off the vehicles.

This is very real. Another neighbor is a police officer. Her junior-high-age son's "friends" were texting death threats like "I hope your mom gets shot" to the kid because the mom is a cop. And I live in a conservative, bright "red" state and a relatively affluent suburb.

Rubone is correct, I should not have cited the blue shirt guy if he instigated that incident, but that's neither here nor there. The country is on edge because of a perfect storm of factors. I won't go too deeply into the causes to keep this out of the Minefield, but at a high level let me say that there are a lot of entitled brats within the Millennials and Generation Z who were not raised with the concepts of ethics and morality of the prior, more "churched" generations. On top of it, I believe the leftist politics are moving more in the direction of Marxism which tells all these folks that the world is made up of "victims" and "oppressors". Thus everything that is wrong with their life is someone else's fault, or an entire race's fault. Then combine that with an already contentious Presidential election cycle, plus pandemic boredom, plus a lot of folks who lost jobs from the economic downturn. The icing on the cake was a pretty egregious example of excessive force that both political parties have decried, and it happened at the same time nice spring weather arrived -- a good time of year to go out all night carousing.

Anyone who wants to go deeper into those factors or refute them can create a Minefield thread, but suffice to say, I think we had an absolutely a Perfect Storm of pandemonium.

I doubt that it's over yet. We're going to see more chaos between now and November.

·
Registered
10 Posts
...If I won a raffle today and you offered me my choice of a 1911 or a cheap Ruger Security Nine, I'd probably walk away with the high-capacity 9mm.
Can't disagree. Problem is, I shoot my M&P Shield in 9mm so much more accurately than my Glock 19 and the G19 is certainly a bit harder to conceal. But the G19 mag has twice the capacity. Time to buy a few extra mag pouches I'm thinking and avoid problematic locations.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I’ve carried my SR9c for about 7 years now & recently got a G43. I tried a LC9s & it didn’t work out for me. The G43 on the other hand has been reliable & I’ve taken a liking to it. I always carry extra mags, I carry 3 extra mags with the G43 totaling to 30rds. When I carry my SR9c I have 2 extra mags for a total of 38rds. My reasoning behind having at least 30rds on me at all times is that an idiot/crazy person with a long rifle is susceptible of having 30rds in just one magazine. If I’m lucky enough to not get shot, I want to be able to have enough ammo to respond to a threat. It’s impossible to predict what might happen at any given moment. Luckily I live in a pretty decent area. While I like the comfort of knowing my double stack has more capacity, the G43 is just more comfortable to carry all day long especially in this hotter time of the year. I have a shield in .40s&w but I usually carry 4 extra mags when I carry it to get the total to 35rds, it’s doable but prefer the G43 with mag extensions. Also have a G30s, with two mags equaling 33rds of .45acp. All that being said I have 2 SR9c’s because I really love my SR9c’s! I have a little variety & am confident with all of them. Hope I never have to shoot my way to my rifle or shotgun, but I’m sure I’ll be able to provided someone doesn’t shoot me first. Fixing to put the 43 up & put my SR9c on, can’t put my flashlight on the 43...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
Can't disagree. Problem is, I shoot my M&P Shield in 9mm so much more accurately than my Glock 19 and the G19 is certainly a bit harder to conceal. But the G19 mag has twice the capacity. Time to buy a few extra mag pouches I'm thinking and avoid problematic locations.
Do what i did several years back and buy some of the factory glock magazines for my gen 4 19 with 33 round capacity. Its at my beside, has a tlr1 stream light on it, and henie straight 8 night sights.

I too practice carrying enough firepower that i feel is adequate. My vehicle i carry an ar15. combat load of 180 rounds in spare mags. It has a streamlight. and microdot as well. Wifes ride same setup. I carry my glock 42 daily. extra mag in my pocket. I did add the tac 14 with 60 rounds in a scabbard in my ride.

I felt my father needed more firepower than the 3" 357 gp100 i bought him and his single shot iver johnson, so i carried him my coach sxs with 100 rounds, and one of my p89's with 4 mags and 100 rounds to feed it.

Fail to plan, plan to fail. Hope and pray i never have to use any of then defensively, but to protect my family...... I will take what ever action im forced too, and i will not hesitate to emptying a magazine center mass to prove it.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
9's are great I have a couple along with a 357 Sig and 45's they all work but even the lowly 22 LR with hollow points will do wonders.

It is not so much the stopping power it is more about taking the fight out of your assailant you start putting holes in someone that is not expecting it and your going to be stopping the fight. A lot if not most people just give up when they see that they have been shot it is ingrained that getting shot means your going to die that is what happens on TV and in video games. Many people have died from simple arm wounds not because they bled out but they gave up the will to live after being shot. You have to have the will to live after being shot.

My choice of carry is a Sig P229 9mm or 357 Sig I have both the 9 is slightly thinner than the 357 but they use the same leather and have the same ergonomics. 3 15 round mag for the 9 or 3 12 round mags for the 357 if I need more than 36 rounds I am in a world of crap and better be heading for the truck.

Reactions: 43north

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
709 Posts
We agree :) . I'm in with bubba....better to have and not need than need and not have....but that's always been the case.
This is actually "Aqualung's Law # 325", which applies to ammunition and toilet paper equally. "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...if you're short on either, you're in a world of...(well, you know)"...

When the lock downs started, my EDC went immediately from my single-stack, 6+1 MK9 in my right pocket and a spare, 7-round mag in the offside pocket, to my FN Hi-Power IWB with a 15-round mag and a spare 15-round mag in the offside pocket.

Where my MK9 and SP101 are normally my bedside guns, they've been supplimented with my RAP 9mm right under my side of the bed with its 17-round mag in place and a shoulder pouch of 5 others next to it.

When the protests started, the AR556 came out of the cabinet, was loaded, stood next to the cabinet and has its own shoulder pouch full of loaded mags next to it.

I've come to appreciate the value of standard-capacity magazines.

Aqualung

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
709 Posts
Anyone considering carrying a BUG also?
I am a BUG...Big, Ugly Guy...

Or, did you mean"Big Ugly Gun", in that case, no...the Hi-Power is one of the sexiest pistols made...

:D

Aqualung

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
I am a BUG...Big, Ugly Guy...

Or, did you mean"Big Ugly Gun", in that case, no...the Hi-Power is one of the sexiest pistols made...

:D

Aqualung
I second that, got to shoot rugerredhawks at the range once, love that browning. believe his is a captains model.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts