Ruger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I can't carry anything other than a small wonder gun. With my particular build I just can't seem to make a bigger piece work. I have tried numerous different holsters that were highly praised, yet for me the gun was either uncomfortable or caused a very obvious printing situation. I am going to start taking my Kel Tec sub2000 with me in the vehicle at least. I figure it would fit nicely and inconspicuously into a racket ball racket bag, and it would be quickly available if needed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m a newly retired firefighter and paramedic; over the years, I observed 4 things. FIRST, rounds like Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P don’t take backseat to anything in the traditional EDC arena. SECOND, I never spoke with any officer or civilian who was involved in a shooting, who wasn’t thankful for as many rounds as possible.THIRD, accuracy is often effected when the adrenaline is pumping - necessitating additional shots. FOURTH, during my career, I spent 8 years as an Arson Investigator and performing some other roles which allowed me to “carry.” I faced potential threats many times, but I’ll never forget 4 thugs attempting to rob me at 2:30 AM. I was locking up the gate to the parking area when their car’s reverse lights came on, and one of the thugs (eager to pounce on the prey) slightly cracked his door. With the dome light on, I could see what appeared to be 2 shotgun barrels. I hate violence, but at that moment, I needed the 16 rounds onboard! FINAL THOUGHT: With the current situation in our Nation, I personally do not feel comfortable carrying low capacity pistols. I went through the 45 ACP phase, but for many years, I’ve been carrying a High Capacity 9mm EDC. Most of the time, I can get by with a double stack magazine pistol - I’ve just had to modify how I dress. But my life is worth the price of buying baggy clothes.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
I can't carry anything other than a small wonder gun. With my particular build I just can't seem to make a bigger piece work. I have tried numerous different holsters that were highly praised, yet for me the gun was either uncomfortable or caused a very obvious printing situation. I am going to start taking my Kel Tec sub2000 with me in the vehicle at least. I figure it would fit nicely and inconspicuously into a racket ball racket bag, and it would be quickly available if needed.
I think that's all valid. I'm not criticizing or diminishing anyone's risk-mitigation strategies. When I started the thread I wasn't really envisioning that we're living in an era where you have to walk into your grocery store at noon on a sunny summer morning with a Glock 17 in each pocket and and ten extra mags. I'm still perfectly happy with a single-stack nine for certain times of day and neighborhoods. I think that 99.99% of staying out of trouble is staying out of troublesome areas and bad situations.

I think it's a legitimate strategy to have "some" firepower on your person and more as a backup in your vehicle, in low risk areas and times of day. Or, if possible, just even adding a few more rounds by switching over to a slightly "larger small gun" like a Sig 365 which blends small size with double stack capacity.

Also, I was envisioning higher risk scenarios in this day and age as situations like being further away from home, like traveling in your car, or going into a more dodgy part of a city. Or even around the house when trouble comes to you at night. Witness the situation with "pink polo shirt guy" in St. Louis this week. He (and especially his wife) may have made boneheaded decisions about gun handling, but he did have an AR at a time when it was needed, and when an Elmer Fudd side-by-side shotgun would have been insufficient.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Witness the situation with "pink polo shirt guy" in St. Louis this week. He (and especially his wife) may have made boneheaded decisions about gun handling, but he did have an AR at a time when it was needed, and when an Elmer Fudd side-by-side shotgun would have been insufficient.
Indeed. Since I have (now grown) kids I long ago started keeping all of my guns locked up. Mostly to just avoid any possibility of curious hands finding something they shouldn't. But I have always had one or two handguns fully loaded in quick access lock boxes that I could get to quickly if needed.

But those are just handguns. After seeing all of the unrest and violence lately I decided I should have something more substantial readily available. So I now have one rifle fully loaded up, with a spare magazine, hidden in an inconspicuous place where I can grab it and be ready for a mob within seconds if need be. I hate thinking that such a possibility exists, but I fear that things will only get worse the closer we get to the election.

Reactions: Corndog

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
That’s another approach for a mob. Instead of more rounds of ammo for lots of assailants, just use a caliber that shoots through several with each shot. :D
Or sell all your possessions and buy one of the very few general electric m134 miniguns that can be transferred. I have seen one for sell $500k :oops:

Reactions: Aqualung

·
Registered
287 Posts
Or sell all your possessions and buy one of the very few general electric m134 miniguns that can be transferred. I have seen one for sell $500k :oops:
The way things are going with ammo shortages we might just need to go medieval in our defensive approaches. We might need to build catapults, trebuchets and ballistas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rural King has an 1877 .45-70 "Bulldog" Gatlin gun for $59,999.97 . Capacity, knock down power. What more could you want? Bet you wouldn't have a lot of rioters...I mean protesters walking out in front of you truck.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
The way things are going with ammo shortages we might just need to go medieval in our defensive approaches. We might need to build catapults, trebuchets and ballistas.
True, dont forget the nitroglycerin bottles too.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
249 Posts
Indeed. Since I have (now grown) kids I long ago started keeping all of my guns locked up. Mostly to just avoid any possibility of curious hands finding something they shouldn't. But I have always had one or two handguns fully loaded in quick access lock boxes that I could get to quickly if needed.

But those are just handguns. After seeing all of the unrest and violence lately I decided I should have something more substantial readily available. So I now have one rifle fully loaded up, with a spare magazine, hidden in an inconspicuous place where I can grab it and be ready for a mob within seconds if need be. I hate thinking that such a possibility exists, but I fear that things will only get worse the closer we get to the election.
I am with you totally. My wife and I live alone, so we keep a Glock in condition 1 on the coffee table or night stand. But with all this crap going on, I pulled my M4 out of the safe, loaded up my best Magpul 20 round mag with the good stuff and stashed it in the corner of the bedroom closet. Chamber empty.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
Fail to plan, plan to fail i always say.

I think most of us have taken out extra firepower with the current conditions in the world we live in. I type this within arms length of one of my ar's thats fully loaded. Imagine if the dems had dismantled the 2nd, we would all be left to pitchforks, machetes, and ball bats. Vote republican, or Progun when you can.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In St Louis and Seattle and other places it was noted that some of the "protesters' were wearing bullet proof armor. 9mm and .40 and.45 we are permitted to have thanks to Clinton will not put them down.
It might make them hurt like hell though as they proceed to shoot you. How can these non-workign canker sores afford bullet proof vests. Who is buying them and guns for them? I can't afford one.
The .22TCM will penetrate most body armor someone said. the 5.7 mm Rrussian round most ceertinly will if you ccan still get the aluminum core stee ljacket ammo....and9mm barrels drop right ain and sue the same magazine. I'm stuck with 9mms and 10mms and ,45s, if that is considered stuck. The new legal 9mm ap rounds and bullets are sky high and they are lmiiting production to keep the price up, I heard.. I see how I can cast lead with hard metal in the centers. Hot loaded 125 grain .357 mags with fmjs will probably fit the bill.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
In St Louis and Seattle and other places it was noted that some of the "protesters' were wearing bullet proof armor. 9mm and .40 and.45 we are permitted to have thanks to Clinton will not put them down.
It might make them hurt like hell though as they proceed to shoot you. How can these non-workign canker sores afford bullet proof vests. Who is buying them and guns for them? I can't afford one.
The .22TCM will penetrate most body armor someone said. the 5.7 mm Rrussian round most ceertinly will if you ccan still get the aluminum core stee ljacket ammo....and9mm barrels drop right ain and sue the same magazine. I'm stuck with 9mms and 10mms and ,45s, if that is considered stuck. The new legal 9mm ap rounds and bullets are sky high and they are lmiiting production to keep the price up, I heard.. I see how I can cast lead with hard metal in the centers. Hot loaded 125 grain .357 mags with fmjs will probably fit the bill.
Who knows where they are getting the armor and firearms, but that doesnt mean they know how to use them properly.

Just remember HP rifle will defeat armor if its 3A. If its level 4 most are rated to 30.06 ap however can only take a few hits not a handful. Higher power rounds like 7mm rem mag and several others will defeat it. I would think 204 ruger, 22-250 and possibly 224 valkyrie could also due to its speed.

Had a friend that was an LEO that was wearing armor and died on duty after being shot, bullet went through front and back, and hit another officer behind him in the neck almost killing him too. It was a 7mm rem mag.

Body armor and bullets are like cat and mouse, one constantly competeing against the other.

Im pretty sure those idiots think with that gear they are invincible, however nothing is farther from the truth, and is a false sense of security, this isnt hollywood.

·
Registered
287 Posts
True, dont forget the nitroglycerin bottles too.
Humor aside I'm being serious about the suggestion. Ammo is getting harder to find, I can't get anything but bird shot, and if angry mobs start targeting your home or place of business, as we've seen, we might have to improvise and start lobbing stuff into the crowds.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts

I am in the same but not the same situation. I have a 1 and 4 year old boy so the guns are locked. Just like you there are also handguns in wood access boxes. What I have done for long guns is one of the under bed safes that let me keep a long gun available but safe. I know there are a couple brands that make it and I know there are a couple biometric small rifle/shotgun safes out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 121 Posts