Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wanting a 10/22 takedown.

Questions:
1. Are they as well made and accurate as the good ol' 10/22 we all know and love?
2. Anybody had issues with the take down tolerences over time?
3. After many takedowns does it stay tight? see question 2. I guess...lol
4. General opinions?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Froggman,

If i were you i would Get a Take Down cause it's a TD

1. Yes they are very well made
2. I Have Not but mine is fairly new, maybe some else should answer that, it is very easy to adjust out all/any looseness it has a thumb Nut for adjustment
The barrel is Stainless steel, Stainless usually has a higher Hardness rating or tensile strength depending on what type of steel was used in Rugers standard steel Barrel, not sure how they compare
3. As Far as take Down tolerances, there is a barrel adjustment nut that you adjust
4. Great Gun, Accurate as any other 10/22, and Light. More Corrosion resistance Less chance of it rusting, since it is Stainless steel, alum, and Impregnated plastic
Mine is going to get a scope, a Nikon P22, for 200+ yard shots

I would suggest you go on to Rugers Site and look at the 10/22TD they have videos in the TD tabs that show the adjusting nut, it is very easy to adjust out all looseness, this would work over time also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Froggman,

If i were you i would Get a Take Down cause it's a TD

1. Yes they are very well made
2. I Have Not but mine is fairly new, maybe some else should answer that, it is very easy to adjust out all/any looseness it has a thumb Nut for adjustment
The barrel is Stainless steel, Stainless usually has a higher Hardness rating or tensile strength depending on what type of steel was used in Rugers standard steel Barrel, not sure how they compare
3. As Far as take Down tolerances, there is a barrel adjustment nut that you adjust
4. Great Gun, Accurate as any other 10/22, and Light. More Corrosion resistance Less chance of it rusting, since it is Stainless steel, alum, and Impregnated plastic
Mine is going to get a scope, a Nikon P22, for 200+ yard shots

I would suggest you go on to Rugers Site and look at the 10/22TD they have videos in the TD tabs that show the adjusting nut, it is very easy to adjust out all looseness, this would work over time also.
Agreed on why to purchase. I have a 10/22, just looking/fishing for info on 10/22 TD. I've read a few threads about the barrel not unscrewing after 200-300 rd range sessions. Any experience with that?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Love my TD. It has been as accurate as any other 10/22 I have owned and far more versatile. Mine is at 1200+ rounds and is transported and stored disassembled. No problems so far with assembly or disassembly. To date I have not had to adjust the tension nut since the initial one. I would definitely recommend one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Most of the problems i have read about are do to failure to interpret the owners manual, that is, if it was even read, and understood.

Most people on those threads Tighten the barrel nut, then they tighten it some more, That is not the right way to do it, and it not the way Ruger says to do it.

1st time adjustment
The correct way to adjust the barrel nut is
1. adjust barrel nut snug,
Then take down the barrel, it should take no force to remove it. to make sure it comes apart smoothly
2. Back off or loosen a couple of Clicks on the barrel nut. (Most people tighten it , when they should loosen it)

So snug it down then back off a couple of clicks, if it is too tight back off a couple more clicks, but usually Backing off two clicks is just right.

Most people over tighten the barrel, then tighten it some more

If you watch the Ruger video they explain in Detail the barrel nut adjustment

Mine is a bug out gun that is going to get a scope, Since it will be my Bugout Gun, i need something i can completely trust.

·
Registered
498 Posts
T/D vs. std carbine

Accuracy with my T/D is on par with any of the rest of my 10/22's except the target models. I really like the take down feature for 'packability' (is that a word?) and convenience for cleaning. I'm currently using an inexpensive NcStar Red Dot/laser that I really like and 'repeatability' (is that a word?) is pretty good so I don't have to re-sight in every time I take it apart. I'd have to recommend the T/D unless you don't have the desire/need to take the gun apart, then the standard model is just fine...either way, you can't hardly go wrong!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am looking at the ATI Side folding stock for my TD.

It has adjustable stock length of pull, Plus it is a side folder, Mine will get a good scope.

Tech Sights co-witnessed through my scope is the plan.

as i want options for my bug out gun.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,089 Posts
westgl, Guilty as charged. If you follow the instructions in the 10/22 Maunual Insert for the TD ... specifically step 6, it says: "Tighten the adjustment knob by rotating it counterclockwise one or two (1-2) more clicks." I did exactly what the instructions said and my barrel seized. I found if I didn't tighten it after initial adjustment, it worked fine. No doubt, this is a mistake in the manual or else Ruger didn't field test this rifle enough to find out the barrel seizes after shooting 50 or so rounds.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i've only had mine a short time, but i like it a lot. i do feel like maybe there's a barely perceptible difference in accuracy, but that could well be me more than the gun. i think it's a great gun, great concept, fun to shoot, easy to clean. what's not to love?!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If anyone puts an ati side folding adjustable stock (strikeforce) on the td or sees one please show me a link or pics. That is a cool stock, and hope to get one to work on the td.

P.s. I love my td and it is accurate as any I've used.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on guys! That's what I was looking for. It'll be a bugout as well, so thanks for all the info. One more thing, It'll use all standard 10/22 mags, yes? BX-25, etc...

I LIKE the ATI in that link westgl!

I think I'll have one as that was my next research on after market collapsable stocks....etc.

KEWEL about sums it up. THX again guys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes it will work with all standard 10/22 mags & all OEM mags BX-25's and can be shot side folded

My ATI Strike force stock will have Tech Sights Co-Witnessed through a Nikon Scope, Vertical grip, small light and a sling, haven't decided on a laser yet.

I want night/dark capability

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it will work with all standard 10/22 mags & all OEM mags BX-25's and can be shot side folded

My ATI Strike force stock will have Tech Sights Co-Witnessed through a Nikon Scope, small light and a sling, haven't decided on a laser yet.

I want night/dark capability
Did you have to mod the ATI setup for the TD or does ATI make it? I looked at their website and didn't see anything for a TD....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do not have this on my TD yet.

I am researching The ATI stock and all mods to make sure they will work together.

The ATI stock would have to be modified as they currently do not offer any thing yet, but may offer something soon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not have this on my TD yet.

I am researching The ATI stock and all mods to make sure they will work together.

The ATI stock would have to be modified as they currently do not offer any thing yet, but may offer something soon
Keep me posted...if you get a chance. I'm going down a similar path. I found a small dealer with the 10/22 TD for $310. So I got to get the rifle first....I hope it's as good a quality as my classic 10/22...

I like ATI, good quality!

Laser seems a good option for night, but with picatiny mounts I could use some of my AR-15 stuff with quick release, such as night vision, laser, etc.. :D at least until I get "stuff" for 10/22 dedicated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
187 Posts
FroggMann did you get that 10/22TD yet

One thing i should mention is that i noticed that the 10/22TD has a much improved trigger over my earlier 10/22.

The few things i would do to my TD are;

A post travel adjustment screw in the stock trigger.

Then stone the trigger, sear, disconnect, bolt hold open, trigger plunger, to smooth out Trigger. While your at it stone the Hammer to.

Also smooth out/polish the interior of receiver and bolt, re-contour the rear of the Bolt at hammer connection.

charging handle & rod. < This part should be replaced as it is not acceptable for me Kidd parts plus extended charging handle.

New Extractor and Firing pin, Kidd Parts will fix many problem's down the road. But gun can be shot quite a while before this is needed.

Check Firing Pin protrusion for at least .030, mod if needed. check for any burrs on entire movement and fix, check smoothness of firing pin, and in its recess.

with this light tuning and good to go

This changed the personality of my Old 10/22

·
Registered
14 Posts
Accuracy on the Takedown may be better than the regular carbine. Gunblast and another reviewer had the TD shooting some ammo .6 in. groups at 50 yds. Stock carbines are generally thought to be good for 1.5 in. groups at 50 yds. One inch would be a good one, although some have claimed to do better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This guy must be a professional shooter, using Match grade ammo, with a great scope, & bench rested, And spent some time Modifying, tuning and tweaking, to get there.

But there is nothing wrong with that, I like the 10/22 for that very reason, they are easy to get to that point.

That S.S. barrel may be a little more accurate, less flex than steel, a little more rigid.

But, then again, i really like my TD, so i hope it is more accurate ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FroggMann did you get that 10/22TD yet

One thing i should mention is that i noticed that the 10/22TD has a much improved trigger over my earlier 10/22.

The few things i would do to my TD are;

A post travel adjustment screw in the stock trigger.

Then stone the trigger, sear, disconnect, bolt hold open, trigger plunger, to smooth out Trigger. While your at it stone the Hammer to.

Also smooth out/polish the interior of receiver and bolt, re-contour the rear of the Bolt at hammer connection.

charging handle & rod. < This part should be replaced as it is not acceptable for me Kidd parts plus extended charging handle.

New Extractor and Firing pin, Kidd Parts will fix many problem's down the road. But gun can be shot quite a while before this is needed.

Check Firing Pin protrusion for at least .030, mod if needed. check for any burrs on entire movement and fix, check smoothness of firing pin, and in its recess.

with this light tuning and good to go

This changed the personality of my Old 10/22
Not yet.....just laid down a wad on a bunch of mags and ammo found on sale. ;) Once recover from that I plan too, ASAP!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts