Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the latest makeover of the Model 60 rifles that were given to me. This one is a Western Auto Revelation 120 which Marlin made. It's essentially a Marlin Model 60 that seems to have more metal parts instead of the plastic thats often used for takedown of the rifle. The front sight is dovetailed in. Nice model overall.

This rifle was in bad shape. The receiver was a mess and filthy. The bluing was worn and rusting. The stock was cracked in two pieces. So, I cobbled a plan together.

The barrel, sights, and screws were parkerized. The butt pad was renewed by sandblasting it. The receiver was stripped and glass beaded. I also glass beaded the showing side of the bolt (I usually polish, but decided to go for a matte look). The stock was glued and screwed together. I then coated it in truck bed lining for a nice grippy black look. I polished the magazine tube as well.

All in all, I think it turned out nicely considering it was essentially a lost cause. I had everything on hand, so I didn't spend any money on it specifically.

The new owner is very happy with it. He is a big gun collector and said he likes guns with a story and where someone poured effort into it.

Hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Looks great. Did you get a chance to shoot it, and if so, how was it?

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Very cool looking!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Nice job, that looks sharp.

+1 on Marlin accuracy.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
An excellent outcome. Very practical and efficient and gives a fine old rifle a new lease on life. Well done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here is the latest makeover of the Model 60 rifles that were given to me. This one is a Western Auto Revelation 120 which Marlin made. It's essentially a Marlin Model 60 that seems to have more metal parts instead of the plastic thats often used for takedown of the rifle. The front sight is dovetailed in. Nice model overall.

This rifle was in bad shape. The receiver was a mess and filthy. The bluing was worn and rusting. The stock was cracked in two pieces. So, I cobbled a plan together.

The barrel, sights, and screws were parkerized. The butt pad was renewed by sandblasting it. The receiver was stripped and glass beaded. I also glass beaded the showing side of the bolt (I usually polish, but decided to go for a matte look). The stock was glued and screwed together. I then coated it in truck bed lining for a nice grippy black look. I polished the magazine tube as well.

All in all, I think it turned out nicely considering it was essentially a lost cause. I had everything on hand, so I didn't spend any money on it specifically.

The new owner is very happy with it. He is a big gun collector and said he likes guns with a story and where someone poured effort into it.

Hope you enjoy.

Very nice work! I had a Montgomery Ward version Model 60 many years ago. A birthday gift from my parents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts